Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2018, 12:25 AM   #1
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Backup camera monitor fell down

The backup camera monitor fell down and took a big piece of the windshield with it. This seems very unusual to me.
Would it be Sprinter installed or FR installed?
How do we find out? I guess a glass place would know?
Old 10-16-2018, 12:39 AM   #2
2012 Solera

Mine did the same a couple years ago. Cattle guard in Banff. At less than 10 mph.

I repositioned the monitor on the left corner of the dash. The wire easily came out of the windshield trim. Velcroed it to the dash and the windshield. I think the monitor is too heavy to mount like a mirror.

I put a square of black “Gorilla Tape” over the windshield chip. I also put a small plastic hook on the windshield in the mirror area to hang campground registration tags and similar from. Happy with that arrangement.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:04 AM   #3
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We will certainly try this. My husband called the insurance company, they said it would be a collision claim, not a glass claim, with 500$ deductible.
We travel full time and he’s imagining paying for a new windshield that would catch a rock any minute. There’s so much roadwork every where.
That’s some serious super glue they’re using. I do think it’s too heavy but dang, taking glass with it?
Thanks.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
Would it be Sprinter installed or FR installed?
The backup monitor system was installed by Forest River.

Dave

PS - I think I'd look for a new insurance agent if he thinks a broken windshield isn't "glass".
Old 10-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #5
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Weird I know but she said it wasn’t a rock chip. It’s still a windshield.

Plus we fulltime and Progressive seems to be our only choice. My husband spent big bucks on a fancy warranty, I’m going to call those people. I like the velcroed to the dash idea anyway.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Weird I know but she said it wasn’t a rock chip. It’s still a windshield.

Plus we fulltime and Progressive seems to be our only choice. My husband spent big bucks on a fancy warranty, I’m going to call those people. I like the velcroed to the dash idea anyway.

We have Progressive and I pay an extra $50/yr for 0 deductible on glass - they even paid to get a rock chip fixed.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #7
2012 Solera

Got over to the storage yard and took a couple of pictures. Ignore my ugly cover over the windshield...
First shows my monitor in the corner of the windshield; second shows the "hang tag" hook and the Gorilla Tape "band aid". I actually did this "mod" on the road after the failure in Banff. I did remove the mirror mount from the monitor. Don’t remember exactly, but seemed fairly straightforward to remove it.

Pleased with this arrangement. Will keep it this way should I ever have to replace the windshield.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BackupCamera Monitor.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	189465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Windshield Hook.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	189466  
Old 10-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #8
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Got over to the storage yard and took a couple of pictures. Ignore my ugly cover over the windshield...
First shows my monitor in the corner of the windshield; second shows the "hang tag" hook and the Gorilla Tape "band aid". I actually did this "mod" on the road after the failure in Banff. I did remove the mirror mount from the monitor. Don’t remember exactly, but seemed fairly straightforward to remove it.

Pleased with this arrangement. Will keep it this way should I ever have to replace the windshield.

Thanks for these pictures. My husband now thinks MB put the mount up, probably with a mirror, and the monitor is too heavy. But I googled “my rear view mirror fell down” and the plug of glass coming with it is not unusual at all.
I know you said you pulled the wire out but where did you put it now with monitor on the dash? Run it up under the plastic stuff around windshield?
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #9

Quote:
I know you said you pulled the wire out but where did you put it now with monitor on the dash? Run it up under the plastic stuff around windshield?
Note that the cable for the monitor originates under the dash to the left of the driver's left foot. There's a small compartment there (there's been discussion of how to access it...)

Anyway, with the monitor positioned on the left side of the dash the cable run should be fairly trivial. Retrieving all the cable used to run to the mirror mount may be more involved...

Here's a link to a discussion of locating the control box:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ra-110479.html
Old 10-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #10
2012 Solera

Quote:
Been a couple of years, but as I remember pretty much as Dave Jordan said -
The cable originates from the corner where I mounted the monitor. It easily pulled out from under the plastic molding around the windshield. I put the excess under the dash, where it came from. Not hard, as I remember.

Again, memory is a couple years old. Not all that difficult, as I was able to accomplish at a campground in Banff. As I remember, taking the mirror mount off the monitor was the most significant effort - for some reason I seem to remember having to partially disassemble the monitor. Again, not a big deal.

FYI, Jim
Old 10-18-2018, 12:55 PM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

Wow, can't believe a suction mount actually broke glass off windshield!!!! I'm glad my glass is covered under comprehensive. Doesn't matter what caused damage, it's covered with my 100 dollar comprehensive deductible. That also covers deer collisions, at least here in NJ, which I've had to use more than once.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #12
2012 Solera

Not a suction mount. Monitor replaces the rear view mirror and uses its mount, which is attached to the windshield with a special adhesive.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

got it.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:23 AM   #14

The monitor on my 2016 Solera did the same thing. It fell off taking a piece of the windshield with it. There is a set screw in the monitor mount that tightens the monitor in the bracket that is attached to the windshield. I blame over tightening of that set screw for weakening/cracking the glass. When mine came off, I filled the divit that it left behind with epoxy to reinforce the glass and remounted it a few inches lower. It held up until I got rid of the Solera. You must clean off all of the residue from the windshield and the adhesive off of that little metal bracket before reattaching it to the glass. It must be perfectly clean and smooth. I used Versachem 11109 Rear View Mirror Adhesive to reattach the bracket.
halbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:32 AM   #15

I've mounted mine via a screw to the upper console, due to the Remis blinds (they would not close. I will post some pics later today if I get home before it's dark out.