Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2016, 05:40 PM   #1

Bad Water Leak in New 2401 R

I have a new R with just over 1000 miles......we have had some rain in MN lately and the RV has been sitting outside....as were my two previous RVs.....I was planning on using it this next week so decided to power wash the leaves etc off the body. When I got inside and started to move forward there was a large rushing water sound over the cockpit....the next thing...it pour down water...not just a trickle but it was like a bucket of water was being poured down from the sun visor area. ...and also leaking out of the interior light. The more I move forward and backwards the more water poured out. The water also pours out of the door jam area. I checked the top area above the cockpit...the cushion was dry...the ceiling seems to be dry....so I am driving 100 miles to Fargo tomorrow to an authorized dealer even though I purchased the RV in Anoka......which is a couple hundred miles away.

Really disappointed in a new RV draining water into the cockpit. In addition my motorized step only comes out a couple inches and also extremely poor radio reception.

Other than that...it looks great....

Dave in MN
Davemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:53 PM   #2

Mine did same thing when it was new. Took it to dealer and they couldn't find leak, so I showed them a posting from this site and they fixed . Water was coming in where front cap meets body, they resealed the seam by laying down more dacor, and it solved the leak issue.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post
Mine did same thing when it was new. Took it to dealer and they couldn't find leak, so I showed them a posting from this site and they fixed . Water was coming in where front cap meets body, they resealed the seam by laying down more dacor, and it solved the leak issue.
Thanks for the info...I could not believe the amount of water that rained down...I am sure there is a lot more up,ere...
Old 07-24-2016, 09:49 PM   #4

It looked like a waterfall in mine
Being it rarely rains in San Diego
Leaks usually not an issue, but after we bought ours a huge rain and niagra falls inside my rv. Since the reseal no more issues
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:29 PM   #5

As I recall, there was a thread here not long ago tracing a water leak problem to a poor seal around the clearance lights.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:10 AM   #6

same issues

We too have a new 2401 R...haven't had any water issues (fingers crossed).

We do have a step problem, a radio antenna problem and the frame of the slides were separating from the coach when retracted.

Travis at FR has been really helpful, we have no authorized dealer within 2 hours so he's sent me the parts and I've found a place that used to be a dealer to install braces on the slides (Travis said they install them when they are made now), powered antenna and he's looking at the step...should pick it up today...if it's something big with the step I'll post here...

Scott and Lisa
2016 2401R MBS
yogiandlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #7

Our 2401WS had a horrible leak, went in twice and second time the dealer got it fixed.

I had spoken to the Forester service rep for Forest River and he was great and I encouraged the repair center to contact him for particulars, when they did all was well.

I am hoping when rain season comes back to Washington, real rain, we won't have this issue again.
Cfritts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #8

2401 R leak

My 2401 R had a horrible leak coming from the driver's side upper window in the cabover part. When I found it during a rain storm, I tokk a video witj my iPhone and sent it to the dealer. NO RESPONSE!

After the rain, I got up on a ladder to look to see if I could fix it. When the factory installed the window, there was a cutout in the fiberglass so that the window could be installed. When the installer put it in, he/she did not get the rubber seal covering that opening. There was about an inch of black hole that was directly below the roof drain off. The rain water came directly into that hole. They knew that it was not covering the opening because in the attached photo, you can see that the window glass is chipped where someone tried to pry the rubber seal up to cover the hole. They might have temporarily covered it, but as it went down the road to the dealer (1700 miles) the wind or vibration caused the seal to come loose and expose the hole. I say that to excuse the factory, but I don't think there is any quality control on these things. It tool my dealer five working day to prep the unit, so we have to drive back up to Portland (OR) to get it. There was no prep. The tire were under inflated. The faults were so numerous that I won't list them, and naive as we were, we drove off for home. The dealer could not even tell me the proper tire inflation. I have not contacted FR. I was able to caulk it myself, but the fake wood below the window it all buckled up and must be replaced. Forest River is a Berkshire Hathaway company. I did not know that before I bought this MH. Had I, I would not have contributed to Warren Buffet's fortunes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1069.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	115276  
Aspenmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #9

Update on Water Leak in 2401 R

I brought the RV to Outlet Recreation in Fargo on Monday. I was remiss not to make an appointment and when I called Mark at service while on the road he stated they might be a week or so behind in repair work on RVs. He told me to bring the unit in and they would find a storage space for the unit. When I arrived and explained the interior leak problem to Mark wrote up the work order. I asked since it was a pretty bad leak, was it possible to at least show a technician the areas the water was leaking from. He sent me and the RV to the next building where I met Becky the service manager. When I told her the story she wanted to see the leak areas. I think she was pretty surprised since even after driving 100 miles to Fargo there was still water dripping from the sun visor area as well as a couple other places. She found a few small stress cracks where the Benz cab meets the RV body and some leak areas in the rubber molding above the drivers door. I was quite happy when she told me that she was going to get her body man over to look at the leak areas and as I was leaving she was driving the RV into a service bay. I made her aware that the leak issue is a known problem and has been discussed on the Forest River forum. I was quite happy with the service provided by both Mark and Becky. Besides the leak problem, as I mentioned in a previous note, the auto step was only coming out a couple inches and at times got stuck and would not retract. Also I had extremely poor radio reception, something other MBS owners had mentioned on the forum. I was called by a service rep yesterday stating that a new antenna was being ordered and that the RV was being worked on.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenmeadow View Post
My 2401 R had a horrible leak coming from the driver's side upper window in the cabover part. When I found it during a rain storm, I tokk a video witj my iPhone and sent it to the dealer. NO RESPONSE!

After the rain, I got up on a ladder to look to see if I could fix it. When the factory installed the window, there was a cutout in the fiberglass so that the window could be installed. When the installer put it in, he/she did not get the rubber seal covering that opening. There was about an inch of black hole that was directly below the roof drain off. The rain water came directly into that hole. They knew that it was not covering the opening because in the attached photo, you can see that the window glass is chipped where someone tried to pry the rubber seal up to cover the hole. They might have temporarily covered it, but as it went down the road to the dealer (1700 miles) the wind or vibration caused the seal to come loose and expose the hole. I say that to excuse the factory, but I don't think there is any quality control on these things. It tool my dealer five working day to prep the unit, so we have to drive back up to Portland (OR) to get it. There was no prep. The tire were under inflated. The faults were so numerous that I won't list them, and naive as we were, we drove off for home. The dealer could not even tell me the proper tire inflation. I have not contacted FR. I was able to caulk it myself, but the fake wood below the window it all buckled up and must be replaced. Forest River is a Berkshire Hathaway company. I did not know that before I bought this MH. Had I, I would not have contributed to Warren Buffet's fortunes.

I had the EXACT same problem. The notch above the window was not properly filled at the factory and leaked horribly, at least a gallon from each side rained down on us in the cockpit. First dealership was incompetent, didn't fix the issue and it re-occurred of course. Second dealership hooked it up to a pressure testing machine to find the exact spots where the water was leaking in, sealed them up and now we're completely dry after several strong storms. I HIGHLY suggest you ask your dealer doing the repairs if they have a pressure testing machine (Sealtec). This is key to you not having to return it multiple times as they guess at the point of water intrusion!
Old 08-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #11

Another update to leak in 2016 MBS 2401 R

I just talked to the service manager at Outlet Recreation in Fargo. She indicated they had found the leak area. Apparently the area where the front hood on the RV meets the roof.....the molding had pulled back due to a stripped screw....this has been repaired. I mentioned the problem with the radio and the poor reception...apparently Forest River is aware of the problem and now has a couple antennas in the newer RVs versus one antenna.......once the new antenna arrives and is installed I should be able to pick up the RV...Once I get the RV back I will send an update.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davemn View Post
I just talked to the service manager at Outlet Recreation in Fargo. She indicated they had found the leak area. Apparently the area where the front hood on the RV meets the roof.....the molding had pulled back due to a stripped screw....this has been repaired. I mentioned the problem with the radio and the poor reception...apparently Forest River is aware of the problem and now has a couple antennas in the newer RVs versus one antenna.......once the new antenna arrives and is installed I should be able to pick up the RV...Once I get the RV back I will send an update.
We spent quite some time trying to figure out why radio reception was poor to non-existant. We traced wires, checked connections, etc. No issues with the radio or hardware were found. The problem turned out to be interference from the back up camera monitor, even while not being used. The dealer replaced the monitor. I was skeptical it would help, but it solved the problem! This is a known issue. You can contact Rear View Safety and they will confirm it. Just keep this in mind if the extra antenna does not help.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #13

Radio

Thanks for the email.....I got a call from the dealer a few days ago....and was told the water leak....the automatic step and the radio was fixed...the dealer is 100 mikes away and I was lucky to get a ride to Fargo....as I was leaving Fargo the radio seemed to bevworking fine so I made some phone calls then using the Bluetooth was listening to music on my phone....when I arrived closer to home I decided to listen to the radio....I was only able to hear one station where the station is located just outside of town. I could not receive any other stations. I called the dealer in Fargo to explain the problem...but have not heard back.....thanks much for the info on your fix....when service calls I will tell them how your problem was fixed..

Dave S
Old 08-15-2016, 02:05 PM   #14

Rear View Safety

I am not familiar with the Rear View Safety info you mentioned. Is that part of Forest River.

Thanks.

Dave
Old 08-16-2016, 11:13 AM   #15

Quote:
I am not familiar with the Rear View Safety info you mentioned. Is that part of Forest River.

Thanks.

Dave
RVS is a supplier of camera/monitor systems to FR, but your dealer has to coordinate warranty work thru FR. My radio reception works much better, not great, but at least I can tune in a few channels when out on the road most of the time, except the weather band which almost never gets reception. Again, I was skeptical that the monitor would be causing a problem, but it did. As a test, you can unplug or pull the fuse for the monitor (no, I don't know how to unplug it or where the fuse is, but someone on the forum will) then test drive it. If your reception improves, then you have identified the problem. Good luck!
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:59 PM   #16

Roof Leak and Radio Problem

Uupdate....I continue to have poor radio reception with the dash radio. A new wing antenna was installed above the drivers door. The service department and I were hoping this would help with the poor reception. There were plenty of stations in the Fargo area...but when I got back home, approx. 100 miles from Fargo I could only get one station and the tower is just 5 miles from my home. I had received an email that stated the problem could be caused by the rear camera monitor. I called Forest River and after some discussion with a rep....he called the radio company. He called me back and stated the radio company said the antenna or the radio was bad. Forest River stated they would replace the wing antenna just installed and the radio. Right now I am waiting for the radio/antenna to arrive in Fargo. I am hoping I can get the antenna and radio replaced on the same day so I can head back home. The radio in the coach works ok...not the best reception but it does pick up several stations. The automatic step was repaired and the area where the water was leaking was sealed. I will provide an update once the antenna and radio are replaced.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:24 PM   #17

Update to water leak and faulty radios

I continue to have a problem with receiving stations on the dash and coach radio. Once I get out of a large town ( Fargo ) and 100 miles away, I only receive a local radion station on both radios. Outlet RV in Fargo is working the issue with Forest River. I talked to Forest River a few weeks ago, and was told to remove the coach radio and insure the antenna was plugged in securely and see if the splitter was located in back of the radio. There was no splitter, further duscussion with Forest River indicates the splitter is probably behind the microwave. Once I had the coach radio out, I found an old radio antenna and plugged it into the back of the radio. The coach radio worked fine. Bottom line...there is a problem with the whip antenna on top of the coach or the coax leading down to the coach radio and eventually to the dash radio.

Additionally...we received about 3 inches of rain a couple wks ago and when I went to drive the RV, there was water again leaking from the drivers side sun shade area.

I will be taking the RV back to Fargo in the next wk or so....hopefully they can trace the radio problem and repair the leak. Other than that...the RV is fine. I was in a park a couple wkends ago and everything else worked fine.

More to follow.

Dave S
MN
Old 09-14-2016, 07:22 PM   #18

Quote:
I continue to have a problem with receiving stations on the dash and coach radio. Once I get out of a large town ( Fargo ) and 100 miles away, I only receive a local radion station on both radios. Outlet RV in Fargo is working the issue with Forest River. I talked to Forest River a few weeks ago, and was told to remove the coach radio and insure the antenna was plugged in securely and see if the splitter was located in back of the radio. There was no splitter, further duscussion with Forest River indicates the splitter is probably behind the microwave. Once I had the coach radio out, I found an old radio antenna and plugged it into the back of the radio. The coach radio worked fine. Bottom line...there is a problem with the whip antenna on top of the coach or the coax leading down to the coach radio and eventually to the dash radio.

Additionally...we received about 3 inches of rain a couple wks ago and when I went to drive the RV, there was water again leaking from the drivers side sun shade area.

I will be taking the RV back to Fargo in the next wk or so....hopefully they can trace the radio problem and repair the leak. Other than that...the RV is fine. I was in a park a couple wkends ago and everything else worked fine.

More to follow.

Dave S
MN
So Dave did your radio work better after you fiddled with it?? I received the new powered antenna from FR and had them installed with no real increase in performance. I'd be interested to see what I can do to fix the radio...very frustrating!! It the oldest tech on the trailer and it doesn't work...

On a side note for everyone...I spoke with FR about my Cable not working well and they told me that if you had the hdtv antenna on it would make the cable not work well...anyone confirm that?

Thanks
yogiandlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #19

Radio Problem

Once I plugged an old radio antenna from a car into the antenna jack in the back of the coach radio, it worked fine. I the problem is either the whip antenna on top of the coach or a bad coax. The problem is if they get the coach radio going, we need to make sure the dash radio works...the problem is...I am usually close to 100 miles from the dealer since there are stations I can pick up....once I get home there is one..on both radios.....Forest River knows what the problem is....they said they would contact Outlet RV and state the possible fixes. The Forest River guy told me...that maybe Outlet will insure the antenna is good...and the coax to the coach radio....and they can then install a wing antenna in back of the coach radio.....again, I never know if its going to work until I get down the road.....

Sorry, cant help with the TV problem...
Old 09-14-2016, 08:10 PM   #20

The Jenson radio has a local and distance setting for the radio. We had the same problem till we changed it to distance.

2016 Forester 2401W newbie
Beachsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak