Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #1

Bangs, chirps and whistling..Forester 2401r

We have taken a few trips now in our new 2016 Forester (purchased in June) and overall we love it, it's the perfect size and floor plan for the two of us and our dog. Learning how things work and getting more and more comfortable with everything the more we use it. But we have noticed some pretty annoying noises while driving. There is a loud banging noise directly behind the drivers seat in between the drivers seat and the slide out. You can put your hand on the wall behind the driver and feel something banging inside the wall while driving - any ideas what could be causing this? There is also a lot of wind noise in the cab area while driving, we need to put the radio on a pretty high volume to both hear the music and the nav directions to overcome the wind noise. We've checked all windows, gaskets, etc. Finally driving home from our trip this weekend, we seem to have developed a "chirping noise" from the area around the door/screen door. We weren't expecting a super quiet ride based on the fact we are driving a tiny home around behind us, but these three are somewhat worrisome since we want to catch any major issues now before they get worse. Any one else experienced any of these noises, would appreciate any help with fixes or suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Mike and Jani
mlbellanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:47 AM   #2
Site Team

This is discussed in the link below.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ide-24851.html

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:31 AM   #3
2012 Solera

Link discusses air brake and air bag noises. Believe the OP has a Mercedes Benz Sprinter based vehicle. No air brakes or air bags on it.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #4

Maybe same problem I had when I tried to drive home from the dealership with a brand new Forester 2401W? I did not leave the dealers lot, it was so annoying! I left it there (it was late in the evening) and they got to work on it next day. They said it was actually an easy fix, couple of hours and now all noise is completely gone.
That is what the invoice said: (Warranty of course)

Cause:Pulled all plastics took for arise found metal from van cut out rubbing on metal cabover bracing
Correction:Bent metal from cab cut away up away from bracing took for a ride noise is gone then I put all plastics back together ok now

I cross my fingers that you find your problem!
Hans
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #5

Cab noise excessive

I too have a very noisy cab. MyDW has to shout for me to hear her at speeds above 55. At 65, it is awful. It doesn't seem to be wind noise coming from the door moldings and it is not localized. It seems to come from everywhere. It is just load. I've ridden in 18 wheelers and they are quieter! The dealer says what dealers always say, they are all like that. I would like to hear music but we can only hear it when driving slowly. I have no idea on how to fix this problem. I know this is not right.

Any ideas?
Aspenmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:50 PM   #6

We stuff a pillow between bottom step and door, helps with chirping noise while driving. Have same problem with hearing radio, we just talk and enjoy the scenery. Can't help you with the slide other than there is always air noise at high speeds.
Karter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter View Post
We stuff a pillow between bottom step and door, helps with chirping noise while driving. Have same problem with hearing radio, we just talk and enjoy the scenery. Can't help you with the slide other than there is always air noise at high speeds.

We have the same chirping with the screen door at the bottom of the side step. A pillow is a good idea. I used the fuzzy side of sticky Velcro strips and placed between the door and screen door. I thought it would help but the chirpy squeak continues.

I laugh every time I see the little Bluetooth microphone for using a cell phone with the Jensen unit. I have not bothered using because I know the caller wouldn't be able to hear me.

While driving I have thought about and wondered if removing the panels and installing dynamat would help quiet the road noise.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #8

I've managed to identify most of my noises except for one in the overhead bed.

The glass top on the stove would rattle, fixed that with bungie cords.

The screen rattled quite a bit, mostly from the bottom panel that has a solid plate. Cut some high density 3/16" rubber into narrow strips and placed it around the perimeter of the plate towards the bottom of the door which has eliminated most of the noise from there, but not all.

I had a lot of noise from loose screws rolling around in the cabinet panels. I pulled the Jensen JWM6A head unit and remove 6 screws from the interior of that cabinet. Found a couple screws including the one missing from the 32" flat screen mount under the overhead bed mattress.

I still have a chirping noise over the passenger's head and it seems that it's likely some of the metal framing rubbing up against something. The noise is intermittent and not isolated to bumpy roads. I actually pulled all the trim off of the overhead bed (where the cab is cut out) and also removed the panel behind where the ladder is stored. Not surprisingly the craftsmanship of the items hidden behind these panels is rough at best, but I still wasn't able to access the issue without being more invasive so I put everything back together.

I too have to turn up the volume of the Jensen VX7020 while driving but it's really not that bad, it's just loud when I come to a stop. I suspect there could be some difference in the seal of the slide between the flush floor slide used in the S floorplan vs the Schwintek slide used on the R and W floorplans. From what I've read there's a larger gap on the exterior with the Schwintek slide, so maybe the other is better sealed when at highway speeds. I'm only familiar with mine after all...

I have however used the Bluetooth successfully, and the caller on the other end could hear me just fine. But if there's passengers in the motorhome it's a little obnoxious since the speakers need to be loud, just like the stereo in order for me to hear. I generally prefer to use my Bluetooth headset, then again most of my calls are business related since typically the family is with me and I'd just assume not take those calls anyway..

Cheers
Old 08-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #9

My 2015 2401R has a subwoofer under the dinette bench seat. On mine the subwoofer was not fastened in any way. It was just lying on the floor. I added a few screws and anchored it to the 1x2 framing of the bench seat. I'm not sure if this is the source of the noise on your rig but it's an easy fix. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1471200806.587761.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	117239Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1471200850.675404.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	117240

2015 Forester 2401R MBS
HVrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:41 AM   #10

All those comments above about noise sound horrible to me and I am sure something can be done!
After my initial problem which was rectified by the dealer immediately I have.a quiet coach which is a joy to drive....
Hans
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:01 AM   #11

My 24R is also guite enough to carry on a normal conversation. I did have a screen door rattle that I stopped with stick on funiture leg felt pad.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:03 AM   #12

Regarding the chirping issue; you say it's coming from the door. I just want to inject this to the thread, in case it occurs. When you develope a squeeky noise which appears to be coming from behind either of the cab doors, that squeek is caused by the rubber gasket that seals the MB cab to the house. My fix on that is to take the spray tube that comes with most cans of silicone, cut a 45 degree angle on the discharge end and insert between house and cab, pulling tube as you spray. It's a tight fit, so a few applications does the trick.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #13

Has anyone had the chirping sound from the area around the propane tank(bottom right of the mh door)? We braced and padded the screen door, removed everything from under the sink, emptied the storage next to the tank, still have the chirp. Only happens when we get over 65 mph or have a strong head or cross wind.

2016 Forester 2401W newbie
Beachsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:34 PM   #14

Update. So, I brought the coach in for warranty work and took the tech for a ride. He heard the banging and was able to determine the slide motor was banging against the slide wall. They adjusted the motor and wrapped it foam insulation and that took care of the banging noise. It is much more enjoyable to drive now. Thanks to all for your advice.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbellanti View Post
We have taken a few trips now in our new 2016 Forester (purchased in June) and overall we love it, it's the perfect size and floor plan for the two of us and our dog. Learning how things work and getting more and more comfortable with everything the more we use it. But we have noticed some pretty annoying noises while driving. There is a loud banging noise directly behind the drivers seat in between the drivers seat and the slide out. You can put your hand on the wall behind the driver and feel something banging inside the wall while driving - any ideas what could be causing this? There is also a lot of wind noise in the cab area while driving, we need to put the radio on a pretty high volume to both hear the music and the nav directions to overcome the wind noise. We've checked all windows, gaskets, etc. Finally driving home from our trip this weekend, we seem to have developed a "chirping noise" from the area around the door/screen door. We weren't expecting a super quiet ride based on the fact we are driving a tiny home around behind us, but these three are somewhat worrisome since we want to catch any major issues now before they get worse. Any one else experienced any of these noises, would appreciate any help with fixes or suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Mike and Jani

About the noise behind you. We have a new Forester 2801QS & the noises are driving us crazy. I peeled down the front room slide rubber and discovered that the noises are coming from the Swintach slide motor at the top as well as a noise from the rod that leads down to the lower slide rail. Bet you didn't think you'd have to be a tech analyst! We took ours back to FR I Elkhart& still banging. Very disappointing. We have driven 3600 miles listening to it. Keep me posted please.

Golfersteve
golfersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbellanti View Post
Update. So, I brought the coach in for warranty work and took the tech for a ride. He heard the banging and was able to determine the slide motor was banging against the slide wall. They adjusted the motor and wrapped it foam insulation and that took care of the banging noise. It is much more enjoyable to drive now. Thanks to all for your advice.

I took mine back to Elkhart & they couldn't fix the noise. I on my own have just discovered that the noise hitting the casing is the issue as well. Can you tell me the dealer name & address the you took it to please. Thanks

Golfersteve
golfersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:15 AM   #17

GolferSteve

The dealer is Reines Rv 418 South Washington St. Ashland, Va. 804-752-6300. Service Manager is Lisa Woodie and the Doug was the tech that did the work. Feel free to reference ourdiscussion.

Goodluck,

Mike Bellanti
Old 05-15-2017, 02:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Hi Mike,
What you had sounds exactly like what I'm having now. How is slide motor banging onto the wall? Are both of them or just the one closer to the driver? Clunking sounds happen only when braking or acceleration. Do you think you can fix it on your own if it happen again?
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:07 PM   #19

To my last message was is it simple enough to do it yourself?
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #20

Raptor,

The knocking noise was more prominent when driving on rough roads. It was quiet otherwise. The tech stated the swinteck slide motor float on the support bracket so they can "bounce" as you drive. As I reported, he wrapped it with foam insulation and it has quieted done significntly. I can still hear it on rough roads or it might be my imagination 😀. I am trying to enjoy my coach and not freak on all the noises. It is not easy. That said, it was anoying and it was a problem. It was the one closes to the driver. The other side was fine. It has been relatively quiet since. As far as being able to fix myself, i will attempt it but if it starts to get to complicated, i will bring it back to the dealer.

Tags
forester