Old 10-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #1

Batteries winter storage

Is it a good idea to remove your coach batteries for winter storage?

davec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:17 AM   #2
Prime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Is it a good idea to remove your coach batteries for winter storage?
The batteries need to be kept on some kind of battery tender if you don't plan on using them for extended periods of time. You can bring them inside and do this, you can keep them installed and attach a battery tender or just keep the coach plugged in and let your converter keep them charged up.

Temporarily Camper-Less
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax

Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:17 AM   #3

I've seen a lot of suggestions out here on that subject. I have a TT and I've always removed mine and put it on a battery tender for the winter. Some leave their coaches and TT's plugged in all winter, if power is available, to keep batteries up and some just disconnect the terminals and leave it at that. Guess it's kind of a personal preference type of thing. I couldn't say one way or the other as to "what's best."
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:40 AM   #4

They are a large pain to remove. Donít think it is possible for them to freeze, unless you are in a really bad winter at the South Pole. Once fully charged and properly watered, decide whether you want the step in or out, then disconnect the ground lead. They will be good to go next Spring. Note that there is always a load, so there will likely be a spark involved... be sure the hatch is open for a minute or two so that any possible hydrogen gas clears. And, if you elect to retract the step, when you reconnect, it could hit you in the shins.

Our solution to this problem is to go to Texas!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 10-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #5

On an Sprinter MBS lift up the steps-connect a Battery Tender Jr (on Amazon $25) to one of the batteries( you connect to one you are actually charging both)-run the cord outside the door(there is clearance under the door to shut the door on the cord) Turn the battery disconnect off.
You can monitor from outside the coach by looking at the light on the charger.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmbs View Post
On an Sprinter MBS lift up the steps-connect a Battery Tender Jr (on Amazon $25) to one of the batteries( you connect to one you are actually charging both)-run the cord outside the door(there is clearance under the door to shut the door on the cord) Turn the battery disconnect off.
You can monitor from outside the coach by looking at the light on the charger.
If you have power available to run the Battery Minder, why not just power the coach and let the on board converter do the charging/maintaining/desulphating? I guess if your converter isn't the multi-mode type like the PD Intelli-Power, then a Battery Minder might be better.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #7

I use the battery tender and shut off the coach power. When you power the coach on my MBS you not only power the converter but other small areas (USB connection,co2 detector,etc.). Some power converter units seem to have limited life so I give mine a break in the winter. Either way would do the job.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:24 PM   #8

When I had boats, I never removed the batteries. I've always made sure they are fully charged and then removed the negative terminals. Once hooked up in the spring they were still fully charged. They were being stored late Oct/Early November and not hooked up again until late April or early May.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:16 AM   #9

Had mine 3 CDN winter's. Charge them,. Disconnected t negative terminal and leave. Good to go when you need them. Don't. Forget the MBS side though. I disconnect the cable along. Side the throttle. They baby will discharge over the month.

Typically my solar keeps both systems topped up. Extended snow periods and ice prevented the charging.

I am now close enough to a power supply I may put on a tender. Have not decided. My old system seemed tried and proven
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:34 AM   #10

Depending on the batts age and use most will self discharge 1/2% ( new) to 3% (old) per day. Somewhat less in very cold weather.

IF the battery dies the electrolite will freeze and crack the case.

Boat batts are fitted in their own plastic carrying case to catch the acid , not many RV have the cases.

There have been discussions on weather the house converter will charge the MB start batt.

I have not been able to find a voltage rise when the converter is plugged in on the start batt.

To be safe we charge the house with the converter , and use a tiny (2a) charger plugged into the MB lower cigarette outlet .
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:33 AM   #11

Excellent point re old Batts. When I am plugged in or my solar us working I have a device installed to keep the MBS chassis battery charged. Trik L Charge . Works great

MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, storage, winter