Old 03-04-2018, 03:24 PM   #1

Battery

I just got new batteries for my coach and today I went to check the mileage on my 2012 sprinter and could not get the key to turn in the ignition. I then found the chassis battery was dead which I feared would be a problem. Is this why the key will not turn or am I facing another problem?

Old 03-04-2018, 03:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I just got new batteries for my coach and today I went to check the mileage on my 2012 sprinter and could not get the key to turn in the ignition. I then found the chassis battery was dead which I feared would be a problem. Is this why the key will not turn or am I facing another problem?

Don't have a Sprinter but I can tell you that almost all cars and light trucks have an ignition lock. Back in the day they were mechanical but today many are electronic. They require that the vehicle be in park or neutral and often the brake depressed before you can turn the key.

I'd check in your owner's manual and see what they say about the ignition interlock. If you have a dead battery then nothing to release the ignition interlock so you can turn the key. Somewhere in the vehicle there is an override device. In mine it's a plastic plug you have to pry out then manually operate the interlock with a small screwdriver.

Best bet is the manual and it's troubleshooting section. That is if nobody here has had the problem before and can share the cure.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery