Old 10-04-2016, 10:13 PM   #11

I'm assuming mind are held on the same way as yours. I will find ways to fasten them back later. Need to get more screws into that plywood.

raptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor View Post
Hi Joshua, I took a few pictures but you can't tell by look at them. I've noticed that left side plywood is loose. I will try to remove decorative layer so I can add a few more screws to fasten plywood to base. What are holding decorative layer to plywood? Is it glue or nails?
My trim became loose as well - I pulled that decorative layer, added more screws and put the decorative piece back on with double sided tape. Had the same problem in my Solera, tape works great.

Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:41 PM   #13

Thanks loefflerh who need dealers to fix our rigs? What ever I need is here.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:08 PM   #14

Not surprising

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor View Post
Thanks loefflerh who need dealers to fix our rigs? What ever I need is here.
Won't dispute that most of us are as capable, if not more so, than many of the techs that claim to be "professionals". Part of the problem with the poor dealer service, the lousy build quality is that we DO fix them ourselves - which lets the manufacturer and dealer off the hook. So they drag their feet and/or do a poor job - which frustrates many of us to the point that we give up on the dealers and manufacturer.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:14 PM   #15

Thanks Rich.M for heading us in the right direction. Always figured it was a slide out alignment and was reluctant to take it in under a warranty claim.
Our left side was really bad and the plywood backer and trim were barely holding on. Finally tackled the problem before the slide out was outside the rear of the RV.

After carefully removing the decorative trim with a stiff putty knife it exposed the plywood backer on left, center and right side. The few sheet metal screws used were a poor choice for the amount of pressure placed by the Schwintek slide mechanism. The aluminum frame is thin walled and coarse sheet metal threads don't hold. The only way mine was going to hold was by drilling and tapping, then using stainless steel flathead screws.

Drilling/countersinking right side

Tapping left side

Driving screw

Left side completed (spaced about every 4")

Stainless steel screws used

Old 10-05-2016, 08:25 PM   #16

I've got something to do this weekend. Wrightwood, 10-32 x 1 isn't a bit too long? From your pictures, it looks like 3/8 plywood plus sheet metal? Instead of tapping on thin aluminum sheet as you said, has it enough room for washers and bolts?
Old 10-05-2016, 08:33 PM   #17

I had 1" screws in stock so I used them. The extra length is no issue except the added weight I believe the plywood was 1/2" (never measured) so a 3/4" screw would work. I wish you could get to the backside with a washer and nut but the aluminum channel is covered with inner and outer side walls.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:55 PM   #18

Thanks for your help Wrightwood. I'll re-enforce with screws on both of slide out. Please don't forget to give us an update on how you attach the decorative back to frame, so I don't have to re-inventing stuffs.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:06 AM   #19

I had the same thing happen although a little worse as I stored stuff next to the retracted slide that shifted as I drove. Of course I don't do that anymore but I had ripped the plywood completely out of the aluminum frame. My solution was to add a piece of 1-1/2" X 1-/2" aluminum angle behind the plywood screwed to other the plywood and sidewall of the slide. Then put the decorative trim and gasket back. A little overkill maybe but I didn't want to trust only screws that could pull out again if I made the same bone head move. Thankfully I and the DW have been more careful since and check before extending the slide as well as not using that space for storage.

Bob Fraser
2017 Forester MBS 2401W
Old 10-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailski View Post
I had the same thing happen although a little worse as I stored stuff next to the retracted slide that shifted as I drove. Of course I don't do that anymore but I had ripped the plywood completely out of the aluminum frame. My solution was to add a piece of 1-1/2" X 1-/2" aluminum angle behind the plywood screwed to other the plywood and sidewall of the slide. Then put the decorative trim and gasket back. A little overkill maybe but I didn't want to trust only screws that could pull out again if I made the same bone head move. Thankfully I and the DW have been more careful since and check before extending the slide as well as not using that space for storage.

Bob Fraser
2017 Forester MBS 2401W
Clever fix! What type of screws did you use?

Tags
bed, bedroom slide, roo, slide