Old 12-18-2017, 07:11 PM   #1

Black and Gray drain cable handles

My grey water drain handle pushes out and pops the cover door open in cold weather. Temps below freezing. Can not keep door closed when this happens because handle sticks out and prevents closure of door. Anyone else have this problem and did you find resolution?

gmccullers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:43 PM   #2
Lacey's Spring, AL

hi

we're nearby in Hayesville ... ; ) what yr/make/model RV are you referring to?

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:13 PM   #3

It's a 2017 MBS Sun seeker 2400w...
Old 12-19-2017, 01:32 AM   #4

Where the gray handle cable bolts into the open box, loosen the nut on the hollow bolt and see if you can shorten it by a few threads.

Will probably need to tighten the nuts at the other end of that hollow screw.

Good luck, hope this works..
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:03 AM   #5

Thanks for the info, as soon as I get a decent day, I will try that...
Old 12-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
2018 Sunseeker 2400W MBS

Yep, same thing happened to me too the first time our Sunseeker 2400W encountered below freezing temps. Temporary solution was to take center screw out of each handle and remove the black & gray handles so we could close the door for continued travel.
Iceman from McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:05 PM   #7

Many are hard to move from lack of lubrication.

Plain old green antifreeze leaves a fine lubricant in the cable .
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #8
Shelley

Me too!

We purchased our Forester 2401W-MBS in August and we are having the EXACT same problem. I was just fixin' to post a Q about this when I saw the new posting. I thought the problem with our door opening all the time was due to the handles sticking out too far and my husband strongly disagreed and believes the door latch is not long enough. I can wait to show him this thread!
SBurson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #9

Have the same problem. Used a bungie to keep the door closed and lost my gray water handle. Looked all over the internet for a replacement and can't find a handle that is held on with a center screw. Please, any help would be appreciated.
thecambridgegroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #10
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
Many are hard to move from lack of lubrication.

Plain old green antifreeze leaves a fine lubricant in the cable .
Mine are always hard to pull. Both black and grey cables broke at least once within one year of ownership. Design flaw I believe.
Where do you lubricate? Would silicon spray work?
Old 12-19-2017, 05:35 PM   #11
Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeOnWheels View Post
Mine are always hard to pull. Both black and grey cables broke at least once within one year of ownership. Design flaw I believe.
Where do you lubricate? Would silicon spray work?
Silicon would be my choice of lube. I have a Forester MBS 2401W and experienced the same problems. I removed the handle(s) then cut about 1/2" off the hollow aluminum rod. When reinstalling the self tapping screws I did break one so I would recommend first tapping the threads. 6-32 if I remember correctly. However, my door still pops open! I will replace the cam lock with one with a longer cam to fix that part of the problem. Preferably one keyed the same as the storage locks.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:45 PM   #12

Exact same problem. Have to take the grey handle off to close the door and latch it going down the road. I'm terrified I did something wrong that first year when winterizing because it popped open on its own that winter. I don't have any leaks or anything but it's never been the same. I'd love to know the resolution (or especially the cause)...anyone?
Old 12-19-2017, 08:24 PM   #13

I HAD MINE FIXED TODAY! 2015 Forester MBS. The tech who did it was off, but another tech said that the far end of the cable goes into a hole and is held in place with a set screw. So they pulled the cable out of it's termination hole at the valve, cut a little off to shorten the cable a little, then re-inserted and tightened the screw to secure it once again. Makes sense to me!
bob5560g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:28 PM   #14

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone found a solution? Cable adjustments? Shorten cables? Sburson, I agree with your husband that the catch is too short. But the cables push out and force the door open in cold weather.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:30 PM   #15

Bob5560g, just got your reply. I will definitely check that. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #16
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailski View Post
Silicon would be my choice of lube. I have a Forester MBS 2401W and experienced the same problems. I removed the handle(s) then cut about 1/2" off the hollow aluminum rod. When reinstalling the self tapping screws I did break one so I would recommend first tapping the threads. 6-32 if I remember correctly. However, my door still pops open! I will replace the cam lock with one with a longer cam to fix that part of the problem. Preferably one keyed the same as the storage locks.
Would this one work? It's 7/8" thumb. I want to eliminate the key.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:20 PM   #17
Senior

It is not an exact replacement but it may be modified to fit. The cam lock provided appears to be 5/8". You could either add a 1/4" ring between the face of the lock and the door to make up the difference or use a cam that has a 1/4" offset. However that is assuming that the lock is fastened to the door with a nut not a clip or the cam is fastened with a nut rather than permanently attached be being peened on. Oh, I see there is a 5/8" option. You may need to make a slot in the housing to accommodate a longer cam.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:57 PM   #18

Maybe just me, but I question the need to lock that valve compartment in the fire place.

I'm sure there are horror stories out there about what can happen with an unlocked dump valve compartment, but never worried about someone stealing my black tank contents.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:17 AM   #19
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailski View Post
It is not an exact replacement but it may be modified to fit. The cam lock provided appears to be 5/8". You could either add a 1/4" ring between the face of the lock and the door to make up the difference or use a cam that has a 1/4" offset. However that is assuming that the lock is fastened to the door with a nut not a clip or the cam is fastened with a nut rather than permanently attached be being peened on. Oh, I see there is a 5/8" option. You may need to make a slot in the housing to accommodate a longer cam.
Can you confirm it's the 5/8" one I should get? My rig is in storage. Thanks a lot!
Old 12-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #20
Senior

My motor home is in storage 35 miles away but as a retired locksmith with 5

Tags
black, cable, drain