Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2017, 09:26 PM   #1

Brake and turn signal failure on 2017 MBS 2400W

The short story:
Rear turn signals, brake lights, and all running lights stopped working today... is there a fuse for this? I can find nothing in the MB fuse supplement, and no fuse in the main coach panel marked as such. Any help with this will be most appreciated, as we are pretty much "Dead in the Water", 850 miles from our dealer.

Longer story:
We have been working on setting up the Beast to pull a toad, and for the toad turn signals, brake, and running lights I installed a kit that adds bulbs to the tail light assemblies, so there is no interference with the toad vehicle's electrics. The installed bulbs have been successfully tested through the 6 pin plug using a 12 volt power source... no power is coming from the toad. When I plugged the 6 to 7 pin cable into the RV, the right turn signal on the RV came on (note... nothing was turned on anywhere.) Of course, nothing worked correctly on the toad. But when we unplugged the cable, everything went back to normal on the RV. I tested the RV's 7 pin outlet, and there is 6 volts of power present in several of the pins when all systems are shut down. When powered up, I found one pin that had 12 volts, and thought I could use this terminal for the toad's running lights on a temporary basis, as, when plugged in with no other wires attached to the plug other than ground, the turn signals on the RV did not "volunteer". So, we proceeded with a test drive this PM, only to find that all the above lights have failed.

I strongly suspect that the Curt controller is the culprit, but long ago we sealed the unit in plastic bags and black gorilla tape, and have had no trouble since. I unwrapped it today and could find no in-line fuses. Would love to come up with a simple fix, as we were hoping to take the RV to Forrest River in March for the Curt recall and some other items.

Many thanks!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 01-22-2017, 10:05 PM   #2

By DOT regs, brake lights and turn signals always and often times clearance lights are on resettable thermal breakers. Not fuses.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:19 AM   #3

There is a fuse for exterior lighting under the drivers seat behind the side access panel. I had to pull it once when my curt controller failed leaving the brake lights on. I can't remember the position and I left my manual back at the coach in storage. Check those fuses if not already done. You may be able to get a curt controller on Amazon with one day delivery, it comes with 12 volt splicing clips that you can switch for Deutch connectors later if you are away from home. Good luck
Old 01-23-2017, 06:13 AM   #4

Thanks Rich! I studied the MB fuse manual and none of the descriptions seemed to match what I was looking for. I will go ahead and test them all. I am considering getting a new Curt unit if I cannot find a better solution. I am going to try to get ahold of FR this AM to see if they will send me the replacement unit.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 01-23-2017, 01:41 PM   #5

I got a recall last week on brake signals on my 2401R MBS. The shop ordered parts and will call me when they arrive.
glb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:08 PM   #6

Factory Recall on lights

I received a recall notice on our Sunseeker MBS for this very item maybe your unit is included in the recall NHTSA 16v465
Recall notice is # is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkloud9 View Post
The short story:
Rear turn signals, brake lights, and all running lights stopped working today... is there a fuse for this? I can find nothing in the MB fuse supplement, and no fuse in the main coach panel marked as such. Any help with this will be most appreciated, as we are pretty much "Dead in the Water", 850 miles from our dealer.

Longer story:
We have been working on setting up the Beast to pull a toad, and for the toad turn signals, brake, and running lights I installed a kit that adds bulbs to the tail light assemblies, so there is no interference with the toad vehicle's electrics. The installed bulbs have been successfully tested through the 6 pin plug using a 12 volt power source... no power is coming from the toad. When I plugged the 6 to 7 pin cable into the RV, the right turn signal on the RV came on (note... nothing was turned on anywhere.) Of course, nothing worked correctly on the toad. But when we unplugged the cable, everything went back to normal on the RV. I tested the RV's 7 pin outlet, and there is 6 volts of power present in several of the pins when all systems are shut down. When powered up, I found one pin that had 12 volts, and thought I could use this terminal for the toad's running lights on a temporary basis, as, when plugged in with no other wires attached to the plug other than ground, the turn signals on the RV did not "volunteer". So, we proceeded with a test drive this PM, only to find that all the above lights have failed.

I strongly suspect that the Curt controller is the culprit, but long ago we sealed the unit in plastic bags and black gorilla tape, and have had no trouble since. I unwrapped it today and could find no in-line fuses. Would love to come up with a simple fix, as we were hoping to take the RV to Forrest River in March for the Curt recall and some other items.

Many thanks!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:55 PM   #7
Phil

We received a recall notice about 2 weeks that mentioned brake lights suddenly not working, although ours were fine. Called the dealer and Forrest River and got a repair kit sent to the dealer. The RV was "repaired" a week ago. Took only a short time. I'd check with your dealer.

Phil
Phil Kuebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #8
2012 Solera

The recall repair, which someone on the forum posted a link to, added an inline fuse under the driver's seat (not in a fuse box). Your 2017 may have been assembled per this procedure at the factory. You may have blown this fuse.
https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/d...lerCentral.pdf
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #9

I found the fuse in the under driver seat compartment... 25 amps!
All is good for the Beast, but need to address the road connection. Thanks all!
Bob and Cynthia!
2017 MBS 2400w
Old 01-24-2017, 11:03 AM   #10

Might want to double check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkloud9 View Post
I found the fuse in the under driver seat compartment... 25 amps!
All is good for the Beast, but need to address the road connection. Thanks all!
Bob and Cynthia!
2017 MBS 2400w
According to the recall installation document, supposed to be a 15 amp fuse.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:34 PM   #11

To be clear, the fuse I replaced was in the MBS fuse panel under the driver's seat, not an in-line add on. We have not dealt with the recall, although my unit qualifies. We are at the start of a 60 day cruise, and anything we can do to avoid dealers is a priority. We hope to make our last stop on the way home at the FR mothership to deal with recalls and some minor issues.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 MBS 2400 W
Old 10-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #12

Sunseeker 2017 MBS Taillight, Brakelight, Toad sys fuse

Thought I had a CURT controller issue but our VIN not on recall. Tested all fuses could see and nothing found. Brought to shop; took them a bit but found a fuse under the seat to the rear.. red line with inline fuse.. 15 amp and was the culprit. Replaced and no issues so far.. Cost me a few $$$ at RV repair shop so wanted to share location if someone has like issue. We had no Taillights, Brakelights, Turn signals (Turn signal on the mirrors worked), or charge line power to the toad on this circuit.
TNSolera is offline   Reply With Quote