Old 12-18-2018, 08:36 AM   #1

What do you use for full TV viewing, Dish, Direct?

What is the best cost effective way to have cable all the time? We had a 34 ft Coachman bought Dish on the go, we arenít full timers, we found it to be very expensive for the amount of time we used it. We have a new FR SunSeeker 2400WS and finally getting it perfect for us, but would like cable.

vettecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
Lacey's Spring, AL

not sure if I'm following you. You want 'cable tv' all the time?

or do you mean Dish or DirectTV satellite tv all the time? These are the only two choices to 'all the time, everywhere you go' tv .... unless, of course, you use your cell phone/data plan and stream one of the many 'online' viewing options.

Cable is only available at 'some' rv parks or campgrounds, but we're finding it less and less as time goes by because it's expensive for the parks, it takes maintenance, it's aggravating for some RVrs to hook up to it, and so many RVrs are using their own satellite tv or streaming online that parks are seeing the slow 'death' of cable as a real amenity... just like the old 'phone ports' that you may still see at some parks - disconnected and unused, of course.

Wifi systems at rv parks and campgrounds are also seeing a similar fate, as so many RVrs are simply using their own phones to connect to the net - especially since so many wifi systems are below par and hard to connect to, charge you extra to use, or 'restrict' your usage to 'only' emails and basic web surfing, etc.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:17 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Cable is only available at the places that provide it.
If you stay at a place where cable isn't offered, there is no way to get it.

Now as mentioned, if you stay someplace cable isn't offered, then satellite or streaming TV is your only other option other than OTA (over the air) channels.

If you MUST have cable, call ahead and only book campsites where cable is offered.
That seems silly to me though. Camping and even full time living is about more than cable as a must.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=36
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:32 AM   #4

Cable TV

I meant to not be dependent on a Park for Cable, if we are dry camping or in a Park that doesnít offer it. I realized the only option is Dish or Direct but I feel what we had their must be a better program. We bought the Dish Winguard 2XL, we had to pay a monthly fee when not in use plus when we took a trip and turned it on, the fee for 10 days was usually about $70. That plus the fee for having the account seems high, the point of the post was to see if anybody knows a better program with Dish or Direct. We pay at our home a lot, just trying to see what programs others have.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:40 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

OK... that makes more sense.

With you using the Subject line (twice) as Cable TV, we all thought you were talking about.... well... cable!

If you have satellite service at home, why not take your home receiver with you when camping?

Old 12-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #6
Lacey's Spring, AL

that's what we do - simply take a house receiver(or THREE) with us when we travel... our portable KingTailgater2(now they offer the KingTailgaterPRO or DishPlaymaker) works just fine, especially easy to set up and find the satellites automatically... or if parked for a while, we use our Dish 1000.2 standard 3LNB 'house type' manual antenna, which will provide a signal to all three receivers.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:01 AM   #7

Cable TV

We are on a underground Cable and internet, not something that can transfer to the RV. We had a second home for 20 years in the Smoky Mountains and had Dish, we changed our home to Dish so we only had one payment. We took the receiver back and forth. We hated Dish at home because every rain storm or wind took Dish signal out. The new Dish receivers don’t transfer like the old setup. I guess I am going to end this thread, what we had in our other RV is our only option. We thought we had the perfect set-up, our cable offers a Contour App that we can watch everything we have on our Cable TV on our IPads but our hotspots on our phone isn’t strong enough to stream without problems.
Thanks everyone
Old 12-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #8
2012 Solera

A thought - if you have an unlimited phone data plan the allows using your phone as a hot spot, Slingbox can connect you through the internet to your home cable (at least it could a few years ago last time I used it).
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:09 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

If you have a good cell provider and a good data plan, look at streaming TV.
I use this one... www.westPA.tv

Old 12-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #10

we have Dish at home and in the RV, only $5.00/month and can be turned on and off for nothing and they pro rate your use. I just leave it on as I cannot remember to call and sometimes have no cell where we're camped.

nayther is offline   Reply With Quote