Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2017, 07:37 PM   #1

Can anyone explain this in detail ...

Threads have talked all around this question, but I have never read anything that provides all the answers.

Q: How do the coach and chassis batteries charge when parked, and if there is more-than-one way to charge them, what is the best way ?

1. If the 0/1 disconnect is 0, are the coach batteries completely isolated from the chassis battery ?
2. When the coach is plugged into shore-power, does the chassis battery also charge when 0/1 disconnect is 1 ?
3. If the chassis battery is on a charger, do the coach batteries charge when 0/1 disconnect is 1 ?
4. If the 0/1 disconnect is 0 and the coach is plugged into shore-power, will any batteries charge ?
5. Can you attach a charger to the chassis battery while the coach is plugged into shore power ?
6. If the coach is on a separate charger (not shore-power), does the chassis battery charge ?
7. If the chassis battery charges off the coach when the coach is connected to shore-power, will the coach charger boil the chassis battery ? If so, can you / should you connect a smart charger to the chassis battery separately ?
8. When winterizing your RV, do you plug the coach into shorepower, do you attach a charger to the chassis battery, do you attach a charger to the coach and another to the chassis and not plug into shore power ?
9. When driving the RV, does the chassis charge the house batteries ?

Lots of questions - and I may not have thought of them all. We will all benefit from good answers !
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
Threads have talked all around this question, but I have never read anything that provides all the answers.

Q: How do the coach and chassis batteries charge when parked, and if there is more-than-one way to charge them, what is the best way ?

1. If the 0/1 disconnect is 0, are the coach batteries completely isolated from the chassis battery ?Yes they are isolated

2. When the coach is plugged into shore-power, does the chassis battery also charge when 0/1 disconnect is 1 ? Yes it does, simply use a voltmeter and check the voltage on the terminals located under the hood

3. If the chassis battery is on a charger, do the coach batteries charge when 0/1 disconnect is 1 ?They should not because they are isolated

4. If the 0/1 disconnect is 0 and the coach is plugged into shore-power, will any batteries charge ? I did not check this I can only assume that it will not charge the batteries

5. Can you attach a charger to the chassis battery while the coach is plugged into shore power ? No need to since it is being charged

6. If the coach is on a separate charger (not shore-power), does the chassis battery charge ?I did not measure that, but I am pretty sure it does not

7. If the chassis battery charges off the coach when the coach is connected to shore-power, will the coach charger boil the chassis battery ? If so, can you / should you connect a smart charger to the chassis battery separately ? The coach charger is a multi level of charging, you batteries should not boil.

8. When winterizing your RV, do you plug the coach into shorepower, do you attach a charger to the chassis battery, do you attach a charger to the coach and another to the chassis and not plug into shore power ?I live in Ottawa, Canada and it gets pretty cold , my RV is parked in the backyard and is not plugged into shore power. When I parked the rv, I made sure that the batteries were fully charged, and once a month I will plug the RV into shore power for two days to top up the batteries. No problem so far!

9. When driving the RV, does the chassis charge the house batteries ?Yes it does

Lots of questions - and I may not have thought of them all. We will all benefit from good answers !
One in a while check your level of your batteries, it is a must to keep them working for a long time and never discharge below 50% of their capacity.
Polariste is offline   Reply With Quote