Old 09-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #1

Change oil before or after winter storage?

Our Isata 3 will be stored for five months over the winter. I live in Minnesota, so I have to burn biodiesel. We have 14,000 miles on it, and have had it for one and a half years, purchased new. I know the manual indicates oil changes at 20,000,but I was told at the local authorized Sprinter service garage to change it sooner. My question: have the oil change done now or next spring? It would be nice to defer the expense till next year, but is it best to store it with fresh oil/filter? Thanks.

RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #2

Just me, but I would do it now. You are near the two year recommended time interval and close to the mileage interval. I change my own and change it more frequently because I tow a small car. I also don't like the engine sitting with dirty oil for extended periods of time. You will find as many opinions as are people on this forum. This is just mine.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:47 PM   #3

With modern synthetics I would not sweat waiting til the start of next season; manufacturer's recommendations are generally very conservative.. Ive seen people do analysis on Diesels at 10k, 15k and 20k and they all basically came back the same.. oil was just fine with very minimal contamination.. If Mercedes manual says 20k miles, I'd change it at 20k miles, Full synthetics oil wont go bad sitting in the pan.. wouldnt even care at all how aged it was, only the miles.
dreadlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #4

I would change lube oil before storage as using bio diesel is hard on the oil and you want fresh additives working all winter.

I would also drain the bio "fuel" as it does nor store well and absorbs moisture.

5 gal of fresh fuel may save many headaches in the spring.

With B20 bio gunk 10,000 is a long time between changes.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #5

If your concern is change now vs change in 3 or so months AND you are not putting any miles on before you do the change, then change it now. Oil absorbs various contaminants while the engine is running. Why leave them in the engine?
In general, it is my belief that engines do better in storage with fresh fluids.
Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:26 PM   #6

I would change mine prior to storage. Not only because of contaminants suspended in the used oil possibly attacking the main and rod bearings, i would like the engine restart to be with fresh oil. 5 months sitting will allow most of the oil to drain into the oil pan, leaving a very thin oil film on moving parts, creating a semi dry restart. That is when you need the extra protection new oil will give you. JMO
Fishtexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:26 PM   #7

20K miles for an oil change interval on modern diesel that regenerates the DPF by sending raw fuel down the exhaust during the exhaust stroke? I'm not buying it. The most I've gotten out of engine oil with oil analysis was about 13k miles and that was easy highway driving with little load. Fuel dilution, total base number reduction, and insolubles often are the limiting factors in how long an oil can go.

Don't buy the environmental hype about 20k extended OCI's and spend the extra $130 and get it changed at 10k miles or one year.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:15 AM   #8

"Don't buy the environmental hype about 20k extended OCI's and spend the extra $130 and get it changed at 10k miles or one year."

ESPECIALLY if forced to use bio gunk which is very hard on the oil.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:16 AM   #9
Just as confused as you

Though diesel engines were first developed to use peanut oil as a fuel, it's not so much as having to use bio-diesel as the fact that any suspended particles will settle out of the oil over 5 months of setting idle. The particles can gum up the oil pump and small passages throughout the engine. I can remember the days that people used to put a quart of diesel in the crankcase and run the engine to warm it and mix the diesel in to help clean the engine. Used to be pretty common practice.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #10

Even stored don't you run the gen once a month and start the engine and let it run until it reach's operating temp ?
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #11

No access to it while in storage. They park them very, very close together. No issues last time I stored it there. Engine and generator started right up last spring. Inside storage here can be costly, but I pay less per month than I do for outside storage the rest of the year.
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #12

Need to keep an eye on the length of time since the last oil change. I had a warning come up on my dash at about 2 years from my last oil change. I just hadn't been able to get the rig out and about to get the mileage up so the computer was going on time since last change.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:02 PM   #13

My personal preference is do the oil change now and then it is ready to go when I am. We go to FL for 2 weeks in January, I change the oil myself and would rather pick a day with decent weather now than count on January weather.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:38 PM   #14

change oil before or after storage.

I lived in Mn and always changed my oil in the spring because with the drastic change in temperatures moisture can build up inside the motor and then get into the new oil change but everyone has there own preference.
jdkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:40 AM   #15

It's the same rationale as for your boat winterization. Fresh oil/filter eliminates the contaminates in the oil system which may cause corrosion in engine components when stored for long periods. So I always change the oil in any vehicles I left stored in MN as well as my boats (both engine and gear lube).
Old 09-27-2017, 06:09 AM   #16

I have a 2014 3.0 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter I don't go any farther than 6000 miles before I change my oil I'm just a little anal that way with the new diesel the oil gets very abused in my opinion I would never leave it in the engine that long my first oil change was 8000 every 6000 after that I'd rather have peace of mind.
Jimregal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:28 AM   #17

Change oil before or after winter storage?

Also live in MN. Change the oil each spring per the one year time schedule. You won't usually hit the mileage schedule in an RV. There's no good reason to change it now. These are excellent oils and it will be just fine over the winter. Absolutely no reason to drain the fuel either. Fill the tank before storage, that's all. Run your engine every two weeks and run the generator for an hour too with a load such as the convection oven or a space heater.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkbrooks View Post
I lived in Mn and always changed my oil in the spring because with the drastic change in temperatures moisture can build up inside the motor and then get into the new oil change but everyone has there own preference.

Quite right on both point. A high level of mythology on these topics.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:38 AM   #19

Always change before. Old used oil has some amounts of gas blow by and condensation in it witch not only can cause lack of oil film covering internal parts, but the water can cause pitting and rust on internals. Also always treat fuel system with Stabil stabilizer after topping off fuel tank. The tank can form rust on inside of tank sides if not full and fuel can go stale and turn to varnish. The fuel nowadays has certain amounts of alcohol with attracts moisture and accelerates rust. Each to his own, but why would you not want clean fresh oil and fuel before storage ?
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:40 AM   #20

My only experience with winter storage is my John Deere tractor. The owners manual says to change the oil prior to storage. I believe the reasoning is that the used oil has a lot of contaminants in it and you don't want that sitting there in the engine for 5 months.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, winter