Old 10-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #1

Check your jack

Today I was going to install Sumosprings on my 2400W when I ran into a problem. I went to use the Mercedes jack that came with the MH and it didn't work. It works fine with no weight on it but if you try to jack up the MH the inner piston comes up and makes contact with the frame, then the outer piston comes up around the inner until it makes contact with the frame then it all just sits there, not moving no matter how long you pump it. I've been a fairy competent shade tree mechanic for about 45 years and I know how to use a jack (and rather long winded it seems). I tried opening and closing the valve a few times, even turing the pistons, nothing.
The point is I would suggest every one with a MBS MH pull out the jack and make sure it actual works. Imagine being in the middle of nowhere, no cell service and you can't change a flat because the jack don't jack.
I'll update this if Meredes says anything other than "here's you're new jack"

Old 10-10-2016, 06:39 PM   #2

I have used mine and it works.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:11 PM   #3

These things are heavy

Don't know about the jack, but I took my Forester MBS to a Mercedes/Sprinter dealer to have the tires balanced. They said they couldn't do it because once it was on the lift - the equipment they had couldn't lift a wheel off the ground (or off the lift ramps). Go figure...

I used my floor jack and jack stands to install the Sumos, but I guess I need to see if the supplied bottle jack can actually lift a MBS at gross weight.

Thanks for the heads up...
Old 10-10-2016, 09:25 PM   #4
SolSeeker

Good tip mine is new and I have not gotten to that yet. I'll be watching for MBS response.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:37 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Not to be demeaning, but did you check the oil level in the jack, assuming it is hydraulic?
Old 10-11-2016, 07:47 AM   #6

oil level

As far as I'm concerned, if a bottle jack arrives in a new MH with low oil, it's defective. How many people do you know that know how to check the hydraulic fluid level, much less carry any with them on a trip.
The jack is one of those things most people just assume work. I would feel terrible hearing someone got stuck some where and knowing there was a potential problem, didn't say anything.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:42 AM   #7

I have used hydraulic jacks for years and found that low hydraulic fluid is the biggest problem with them. One jack I had would never seem to leak, but I added fluid to it more then any other jack. It was a good thing your found the problem now instead of being out on the road. Good luck in getting it taken care of.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:52 AM   #8

X2 with OC and Wattsworld. Check the level and give it a try or get new jack.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:16 AM   #9

Lets review; one says gee, shouldn't a brand new jack provided with my Mercedes Benz vehicle work. Another suggests to check oil level and add if necessary to possibly make it function new from the factory. I haven't looked at mine yet to see if you can add oil, so to Coots suggestion, somebody take a look and see if there is a fill location. I'm guessing it's defective seals allowing blow by, but just a guess.
Conclusion; Those who have already used their MBS jacks please report back with a yah or nah, so we can see what the product failure rate is, if significant. Just sayin'

P.S. all others (non MBS owners) put your fingers in mittens please, until owners have a chance to respond with useful data.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:24 AM   #10

Don't have any mittens grew out of them many years ago and feel helpful suggestions are good anytime regardless of if it falls under the category of useful data.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote