Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #21

Is boiling batteries a problem with the 2016 Rs?
Dogpa

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpa View Post
Is boiling batteries a problem with the 2016 Rs?
Dogpa
The power converter that came with my 2015 did not include the 'wizard' - which is a little box with a blinky light that makes the converter do a better job charging the batteries. Without the 'wizard', it just continually dumps a fixed charge to the batteries, whether they need charged or not. Over time, water boils off. If you have such a converter, and leave it connected to shore-power for months-on-end, then you need to check your battery water regularly. The fellow I purchased my unit from did just that - he left it plugged in to shore power for many months - all Winter in fact. The batteries were dried down to the plates.
Some of the newer converters have the 'wizard' functionality built-in. Some of the older ones like mine you add the $25 'wizard' to it.
You should check your documentation for the model installed in your rig. The doc's may tell you if it has smart charging built-in, or you may have to google it.
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:12 PM   #23

Thanks I will check the docs. Unit at dealer for two speakers not working.

Dogpa

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:33 PM   #24

Your converter is three stage. The third stage is float. Meaning, it senses slight drops in voltage and will keep the batteries topped off. You don't need a wizzard to let the third stage do its intended function. Please read the manual for the converter that is resident on your MBS. It is understood that the chassis batts need to have their water level maintained on a regular basis, especially when sitting in a float charge state, for months on end over winter.

If you think your converter is boiling off your batts, when you are doing routine maintenance water level check/fill, there is something wrong with your converter.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Your converter is three stage. The third stage is float. Meaning, it senses slight drops in voltage and will keep the batteries topped off. You don't need a wizzard to let the third stage do its intended function. Please read the manual for the converter that is resident on your MBS. It is understood that the chassis batts need to have their water level maintained on a regular basis, especially when sitting in a float charge state, for months on end over winter.

If you think your converter is boiling off your batts, when you are doing routine maintenance water level check/fill, there is something wrong with your converter.
My Solera came with an Inteli-Power 9100 series Converter. Some of the newer IP Converters have the "Charge Wizard" built-in. Mine did not

"The Charge Wizard plugs into the Inteli-Power 9100 Series Converters' TCMS connector and is designed to eliminate battery over and under charging problems in recreational vehicles. The Charge Wizard, a microprocessor-based module, makes the Progressive Dynamics 9100 Series Converters an intelligent system that constantly monitors the RV state of battery charge and use factor. The Charge Wizard automatically determines which of three voltage modes (Boost, Normal or Trickle) is required to rapidly charge and or properly maintain the RV battery."

For my unit, without the charge-wizard, it was a 1-stage charger.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:54 AM   #26

I have a 9200. Will that cover it?
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:10 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
We don't do dry camping, so I don't need massive reserve, but do need to replace the batteries that came with our 2015 SOlera, as they are shot. The first owner was not aware of the problem boiling them off and letting them run dry down to the plates. With the AGM's I don't need to worry about that, and I also upgraded the Power Converter by adding the 'Wizard' - which makes it a bit smarter when charging.

I found the 34MAGM's at Sams Club for $119. They are lighter and smaller, save me $120, and fit in the stair well nicely. I am aware they don't have the reserve capacity that I had, but I don't use them that way
I don't know if the yellow-top deep cycle Optima battery is the same type of battery, but I had one on a Sears 60A Fully Automatic battery charger. It was an older model from 1997, so I don't think it supported AGM batteries, but I figured it would be OK. But this was in the late 90's so I don't know if there were any chargers that specifically supported AGM at the time.

I left it charging for about an hour and came back to check on it. The battery was literally boiling and you could see it venting acid straight up from the battery! I shut it off right away and the battery was very hot to the touch! The acid ended up all over the bottom of my car hood and, even doing a thorough job cleaning up the acid with baking soda, it still managed to eventually rust a little bit.

So, thinking a Optima was safe to charge, it still managed to overheat and boil. I'd recommend being careful to make sure that doesn't happen to you.
Bangback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinias View Post
I have a 9200. Will that cover it?
According to the Progressive Industries website, yes the 9200 has the Wizard built-in.

*The Wizard is built in the 9200 series and available separately for the 9100 series."

PD9200 Series RV Power Converters

Tags
battery