Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #1

Control panel generator start switch light is on??

The light for the generator start/stop switch is illuminated on the control panel inside our 2012 Solera. That generator isn't running, nor will it start. Any idea why it is lit? Any ideas what might be wrong?

We tried to retrieve an error code on the generator itself, but it wasn't giving any indication of an error code.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 01-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspengirl View Post
The light for the generator start/stop switch is illuminated on the control panel inside our 2012 Solera. That generator isn't running, nor will it start. Any idea why it is lit? Any ideas what might be wrong?

We tried to retrieve an error code on the generator itself, but it wasn't giving any indication of an error code.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Well, here's a little help... First, here's what the manual for my Onan generator says:
Quote:
LED in the control panel that blinks rapidly during cranking. Stays on continuously after generator set is running. If the generator set shuts down abnormally, the indicator blinks a numeric code to indicate the cause of the shutdown.
Also, I found this in another manual online:
Quote:
Restoring Fault Code Blinking - the fault code stops blinking after 5 minutes. Press Stop three times within five seconds to restore blinking.
So you might try pushing stop three times to see if the light begins to blink. If so, you can probably diagnose the problem using the troubleshooting section of the owner's manual for your specific generator model. Onan seems to have a lot of these manuals online...

Good luck!

Dave
Old 01-19-2017, 08:25 PM   #3

Thank you Dave. When we left the RV park, the light wasn't on, and the generator wasn't running. later we stopped for an errand and when I went into the coach noticed the light was on. The last time we ran the generator was a couple weeks ago to exercise it. We referred to the owners manual and tried to retrieve the error code but the light didn't blink at all.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:40 AM   #4

Switch for the generator inop - happened to me fresh from the factory. Switch replaced (warranty) all good......
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Thank you Dave. When we left the RV park, the light wasn't on, and the generator wasn't running. later we stopped for an errand and when I went into the coach noticed the light was on. The last time we ran the generator was a couple weeks ago to exercise it. We referred to the owners manual and tried to retrieve the error code but the light didn't blink at all.
Bummer. Well, here's a link to an older thread on irv2.com which talks about a very similar issue:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/help...ue-203869.html
Note the resolution which turned out to be a problem in the wiring harness between the generator itself and the interior control panel. As that person did, you might be able to pull that connector to see if the generator will work when operated by the controls on the generator itself.

That thread also referenced another thread...which I did not follow but which might have additional info.

Note that I did a google search:
Quote:
onan generator indicator light stays on
which turned up a variety of hits.

Good luck.

Dave
Old 01-20-2017, 04:29 PM   #6

Dave, you are such a good resource on this board! You rock! Thanks for all the looking, retrieving and remembering you do for us...
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:27 PM   #7
psribbens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
Switch for the generator inop - happened to me fresh from the factory. Switch replaced (warranty) all good......
Ditto here. Switch replaced under warranty. Repair person said he never saw this problem. We've not had problems since.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:09 PM   #8

Thanks for all the information. Hubby unhooked some wires that run to the control panel until we can get it fixed.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Hubby unhooked some wires that run to the control panel until we can get it fixed.
Does the generator work now that those wires have been unhooked?
Old 02-01-2017, 09:37 PM   #10

I'm sorry for the late response. No, the generator doesn't work. We're back home now and have an appointment to have it looked at next week. Thanks again for your responses!

Tags
generator, switch, light