Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2017, 03:32 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob dirt View Post
What's wrong with leaving the Curt on if it's working? Seems like water is the issue. I fabricated a sheet metal cover for mine and drove about 500 miles in the rain just before I took it in to get changed...which hasn't happened yet AND may not.
You can skip it if you want but a dealer can't sell it. You can sell it some day knowing it has a latent defect that has not been corrected. Also, the recall letter confirmed it was not (or not solely) a water penetration issue. FR rep confirmed that on this forum too, I think in this thread. If it goes out in the middle of a trip, you may not have tail lights, or may have one not two, or you may not have turn signals. It's actually quite a dangerous condition to experience. I once had tail lights go out on a U-Haul trailer (notoriously in bad condition) and it was a hair-raising experience trying to get to our destination before complete darkness (we couldn't really stop in the middle of the Utah salt flats!).
Old 03-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #42

Well I'm not a trade-in kind of guy. Also, I have a spare and it's not rocket science to fix any of this stuff. I haven't decided if I'm going to deal with the dealer yet. They have not contacted me about another controller yet. I might reach out to FR warranty to see what they want to do AND make sure they were not billed for my repair.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:05 PM   #43

Rig is in at Las Vegas Camping World for curt recall. More when I get it back.

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #44

We got ours done while we were out of town. When I open the little side access panel under the driver's seat, I can see the new in-line fuse that was installed. It's strung right in front of the other fuses so easy to get at, although a bit intrusive.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:48 PM   #45

Curt Controller Recall - NHTSA # 16V465

We had our recall done two weeks ago and after a short trip I got to spend 200 bucks at the MB dealer get the restraint system error fixed. When they removed the front seat to put in the fuse the did not put the wires to sensor on the drivers seat belt back in the correct brackets. So when I rotated the drivers seat the wire got cut. And since MB did not do the work it was not cover by warranty. MB were very helpful getting the problem solved but an expense I could have done without.

On another note this was the fix the dealer did when we bought the 2401W in July and I asked him to check the curt controller before I picked up the unit.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1144.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	132628Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1145.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	132629
Beachsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #46

Here's my update... Camping World in Avondale totally dropped the ball on this. They had ordered a kit for me and said they used it on someone else. They were supposed to get back to me when it was re-ordered. THAT never happened. Then out of the blue, their service department called me and said they see I have a Mercedes MH and there was a recall on it..."would you like us to fix it for you?" $*&$ %$*!
The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing in that place. Anyhow, in the meantime, I decided in my best interest to get it done. I called FR to see who I could go to. I picked Little Dealer Little Prices in north Phoenix. They were 6.9 miles from my house. I called them and they said to email the info...which I did. Never heard back. After two weeks, I decided to call them again. Well, the dude I sent the info to had gotten released from his duties. A nice gal was going to help me so I sent a copy of the info to her. Two days later she said it was approved and the parts were ordered. She was going to contact me when they received the part to schedule the work. At that time they were two weeks behind. The next week, I received and email stating the part was in and decided on a date 4 weeks from then because I would be in between trips. Took it in last Friday morning. They didn't have anybody there to do that particular job that day and would work on it first of the week. Tuesday I received a call while I was down in Rocky Point. They were finished. I told him I would pick it up Friday when I got home. I picked it up yesterday afternoon. I crawled underneath to take a picture of the work and also looked for the fuse under the seat....IT WAS COMPLETE!. I also looked up the info on the Hopkins...it says it's waterproof. I am going to leave it where it is but still use my sheet metal shield.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brake.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	141638   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	141639  
Old 06-18-2017, 05:21 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob dirt View Post
I am going to leave it where it is but still use my sheet metal shield.
When I first heard of the problem, I taped all the wire connections and used some RTF around where the wire entered the controller. I also relocated it from just in front of the rear bumper to up high right behind the cummins generator.

Just prior to dropping the 2400ws off to have the recall done, I moved the controller back to where the factory had installed it to make sure the service tech could find it so the replacement could be done. Then when I got back home I relocated it back to where I had moved it in the first place.

Lets face it, the spot that FR installed it made it subject to constant bombardment by tire spray while driving in the rain. Where I put it it very seldom gets any tire spray.

I never did look to see if the fuse was added under the seat, but one thing I did notice was that my new controller had what appeared to be a factory installed fuse holder at the controller itself that wasn't there on the original equipment.
Sunseeker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:07 AM   #48

Bit The Bullet

I decided to proceed with the recall. The process was pretty painless. It actually took about 20 minutes to swap out the old controller and install the new one. It took them longer to do the paperwork than it did to complete the repairs. I stayed with the unit while the work was done. The tech took a shortcut and did not remove the driver's seat to install the inline fuse. Instead, he moved the seat forward, found the wire, cut it, and spliced in the new fuse. The result is the same and it took only moments to do. I got the old Curt controller back to keep as a spare since mine had not yet failed.

Like always, I rechecked everything that was done. The crimps for the inline fuse were solid, so I'm OK with that. The way he had zip tied the new controller to the mounting plate was a bit awkward, so I redid that. I will add a splash shield around the new controller to give it a little more protection but all is fine so far.

I had the usual issues with getting the parts and getting the work scheduled. The service department person that I first talked to in getting the process started apparently left the dealership after ordering the parts so nobody called me when they came in. Phone calls to the dealer inquiring about status went unanswered and calls were not returned (Camping World). The only way to have a dialog with them was to show up in person. I did that and found that the parts had been ordered and had arrived, so we scheduled the work to be done while I waited. It only took a couple of weeks to get in and now it's all done.
halbright is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, recall