Old 05-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #91
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pod2Vibe View Post
Step 5
Locate a flat spot inside the vehicle, near the taillight. Adhere
the black converter box using the provided double-sided tape.
For purpose of full disclosure and to reduce selective quoting. Attached is the full instruction sheet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Curt 56146[5].pdf (1.11 MB, 54 views)

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:26 PM   #92

To quote a famous politician..

"At this point, what difference does it make?"

The controller is not waterproof/weather resistant or whatever. They are failing for some people on their initial trip. Trying to affix blame on Curt is irrelevant. FR is the manufacturer of the motorhome. I didn't buy a Curt controller with an FR motorhome attached.

FR knows there is a problem and has known for quite a while now. It needs to be fixed. Stop acting like it's someone else's fault or responsibility.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:47 PM   #93
GM

When did I ever blame anyone? Everyone is making assumptions that its the location and moisture causing the issue and saying FR was stupid to put them there and if they would just move them, then all problems solved. Making statements that Curt clearly says not to put it where they put it and that's the problem.

You've made assumptions that FR saved a buck and substituted a cheap one. I can tell you the 56146 I saw, was potted as well.

All I am trying to do is provide facts or documentation where there is speculation and assumptions. Not once did I ever state it was someone else responsibility. To the contrary, I said I am sure they are working on it and will post their findings, we are all required to do so.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Old 05-27-2016, 06:28 PM   #94

Thank you for the courteous reply, Brian. I know you've moved on to working with the Dynamax line, but you've continued to be responsive to MBS questions from Forester, Solera and Sunseeker owners and I appreciate your response. I'm interested in the prompt resolution of this safety issue by FR.
CharSolera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:42 PM   #95

Agreed.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 06-09-2016, 12:23 PM   #96

FR drops the ball with the CURT Unit repair!!

What did FR do .... they sent the repair shop the exact same part that failed with no new directions for installing it in a more protected location. So now it's up to me to find a better way to protect it (I have seen some good ideas on the thread about the failed CURT unit). To me this is totally unacceptable and I'm betting that FR has delivered 100's of units with the same CURT set-up and location. All of these will fail eventually (when they get soaking wet) and you will be left with a very dangerous safety situation. I know there are two very good FR reps on this forum and I sure do wish they would help us to get a resolution on this issue. I have not called FR directly yet and maybe that's my next approach. I have reported this issue to the NHTSB ..... I'm not sure what the status of that is, but at least I reported it. I wish every other FR owner who has had this issue or has their CURT unit located in a very exposed location would do the same.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:38 PM   #97
GM

again, its not the location. They are working on it and I would expect an official response soon.

What are the lights on your tow vehicle? Main issue is that these things are set up for LED lights, not high draw incandescents.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:15 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
again, its not the location. They are working on it and I would expect an official response soon.

What are the lights on your tow vehicle? Main issue is that these things are set up for LED lights, not high draw incandescents.
bclemens ...... thanks for replying. But ..... if it's not the location (and if you haven't seen it - it's directly in the path of the rear wheel spray - totally exposed) then is it the CURT Controller? Why would they send me a repair part that's destined to fail again?

I don't have a tow vehicle, so that's not relative.

I'm sorry - I just don't understand their lack of response with a safety issue as important as this.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #99
GM

I've seen it.

There are procedures to this stuff and they are following those procedures.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I've seen it.

There are procedures to this stuff and they are following those procedures.
Well .... I sure am looking forward to hearing their official response! Being a new FR owner all I have to go on are the posts in this forum so I'm not familiar with "the procedures for this stuff". Any chance you could tell us a little more about them; what is the process; how do they prioritize issues; how do they expedite issues; how do they communicate safety issues to us; etc, etc, etc.

From everything that I can gather this issue has been around since September of last year ........ how much time do they need?

Tags
controller, light