Old 06-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #101
GM

The first report of an incident does not necessarily indicate an issue. Nor do several unless you can ascertain without a doubt what is causing those issues. You also have to determine without a doubt that the remedy is adequate.

Only the government is really familiar with "procedures to this stuff". We do what they tell us to do.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:28 PM   #102

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
again, its not the location. They are working on it and I would expect an official response soon.
So what you are saying is that if the controller was in a true weatherproof enclosure, but located in the same place - it would still have failed?

Old 06-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #103

Update to my Curt Taillight Controller failure posting:
Curt taillight controller

Ordered a new CURT 56146 Wiring Taillight Converter from Amazon Prime for $19.82. Installed the new controller and taillights were working again.

I wrote to Curt Manufacturing and explained the failure on a new 2016 Forest River 2401R. They sent a one time free replacement and even included FedX return shipping label for the defective part. The replacement controller is being placed in the toolbox as a backup as it weighs about a pound
Old 06-10-2016, 03:14 PM   #104
GM

Not sure I am saying that. I am saying I don't think moisture is the smoking gun that some assume.

This was an excerpt from the Curt Controller on Amazon.

"Potted enclosure manufacturing
To increase the quality and reliability of our electrical converters, CURT has introduced potted enclosure manufacturing capabilities into its electrical line. This technology is applied right here in the USA to a number of our electrical converters and greatly increases protection against impacts, vibrations and moisture, even when the converter is mounted on the exterior of the vehicle. Our potted converters are sealed by filling the enclosure with an epoxy resin that cuts the circuit board off from all moisture. The converters are then rigorously tested in a saltwater bath to ensure the internal components are properly maintained in any extreme weather condition."
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Old 06-10-2016, 03:32 PM   #105

Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Not sure I am saying that. I am saying I don't think moisture is the smoking gun that some assume.

This was an excerpt from the Curt Controller on Amazon.

"Potted enclosure manufacturing
To increase the quality and reliability of our electrical converters, CURT has introduced potted enclosure manufacturing capabilities into its electrical line. This technology is applied right here in the USA to a number of our electrical converters and greatly increases protection against impacts, vibrations and moisture, even when the converter is mounted on the exterior of the vehicle. Our potted converters are sealed by filling the enclosure with an epoxy resin that cuts the circuit board off from all moisture. The converters are then rigorously tested in a saltwater bath to ensure the internal components are properly maintained in any extreme weather condition."
Just got off the phone with the Curt technician and according to him - the only model of controller that is fully potted is the 59236. He said the 56146 (installed on our MBS MH) is NOT potted and will fail if subjected to moisture. Even though the 59236 is fully potted, even it is not to be submerged.

So to my mind, if you want to keep the current location - the 59236 is the only model suitable. If you want to keep the 56146 controller, bring it inside the rear storage compartment or enclose it in a weatherproof box.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #106
GM

I wouldn't argue that logic just for sheer perception. However, I would also not want to give a false sense of security that moving the 56146 into a storage compartment would eliminate the potential issue. Which is why the process is what it is. To get to the root cause.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #107

Okay, I have watched this one silently but have to speak out when I see moisture may not be the root cause.

Moisture is 100% the cause of my failure. There is a wiring controller mounted behind the rear wheel getting tire spray. The documentation for Curt says not to place where it will get direct water. Mine failed first time driving in the rain. I ordered a replacement of same model put it in a water proof box and have driven 6000 miles with no issues.

The root cause is the Curt wiring controller and connection points are not waterproof and because of that, the mounting location causes them to fail.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #108

Okay, I have watched this one silently but have to speak out when I see moisture may not be the root cause.

Moisture is 100% the cause of my failure. There is a wiring controller mounted behind the rear wheel getting tire spray. The documentation for Curt says not to place where it will get direct water. Mine failed first time driving in the rain. I ordered a replacement of same model put it in a water proof box and have driven 6000 miles with no issues.

The root cause is the Curt wiring controller and connection points are not waterproof and because of that, the mounting location causes them to fail.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Old 06-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #109
GM

If the official response is to mount the same controller in a compartment or water tight box, then I'd be happy to apologize for leading you astray.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #110

No problem. I am just glad it's continuing to get investigation. I just wanted to chime in from a person who lived the problem first hand.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Tags
controller, light