Originally Posted by derrickc
We were camping last weekend and woke up to the tail lights and trailer lights all on. I was sort of surprised to see the thing fail since I had read about all of the troubles and I had sealed it up pretty good with RTV. I got under it and was feeling for moisture and noticed the relay next to it was pretty warm. I removed it and took the relay apart. It was full of water and corrosion. I cleaned the contacts and got all of the corrosion out of the solenoid windings and it worked fine after that. I ordered a new relay and will be sealing it up when I put it on.
So much for it being "weatherproof".
Glad I'm carrying a couple of spares. Decided not to move it into my weatherproof box, but in retrospect, maybe that was the wrong call. At least the contacts are filled with DC4.