Old 10-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #201

No Lemon Law for RV's in most states

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo35man View Post
Hi

I too have received an official recall notice for the Curt Controller Problem dated Aug 12 2016. My dealer has stated that FR still does not have a solution for this problem. It is now OCT 13 2016 and still nothing is solved. I think it is time for all of us to file a additional complaint with the NHTSA people to get FR moving on this very important safety issue. I have not had the problem so far but that is only because my unit has been in storage for the past several months. I refuse to drive it because of this problem. I am beginning to feel that this may become an "LEMON LAW" issue.

In addition I am too old to be able to get under my MH to make adjustments to the controller. I have health reasons with my legs and hips that makes it impossible to make some of the listed remedies that are in this tread. I also have no knowledge of these electrical circuits that might be involved. So I am relying on FR and my dealer to get this corrected.

So if you are listening FR "GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER" and GET THIS SOLVED.
Bill
The RV industry has lobbied long and hard against lemon laws in most states. Some on this forum are opposed to lemon laws because "it will drive up the cost of an RV".

I feel for you. If you lived close by I would be happy to move your Curt controller into a waterproof box like I did on my Forester MBS.

It's unfortunate that FR does not have any sense of urgency for fixing this issue. We've been telling them about it for some time now and it's only due to the persistence of a few on this forum that the NHTSA investigated and ultimately had FR issue the recall.

Short of legal action, I don't think you have many options right now and that is a bad predicament to be in.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:12 PM   #202
GM

That is absolutely not true. Forest River initiated the recall, NHTSA did not initiate an investigation, this was self reported. Please let's stick to the facts and not make statements and pass them off as truth.

There is a solution, the only hang up is a torque spec that we need from our chassis supplier and that is simply for the repair instructions. Silly detail, but necessary. I'll be handling this in the AM or find a way to mail out instructions that don't require this spec.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:07 PM   #203

OK, fair enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
That is absolutely not true. Forest River initiated the recall, NHTSA did not initiate an investigation, this was self reported. Please let's stick to the facts and not make statements and pass them off as truth.

There is a solution, the only hang up is a torque spec that we need from our chassis supplier and that is simply for the repair instructions. Silly detail, but necessary. I'll be handling this in the AM or find a way to mail out instructions that don't require this spec.
So FR initiated the recall, not the NHTSA. My bad.

Please explain the recall notice sent to MBS owners and specifically the comment in bold below, that seems to indicate that FR is waiting for MB to "manufacture the remedy"? I interpret this as FR trying to lay the blame on MB. Am I reading this wrong?

What should you do?
At this time, without a physical remedy to provide, we ask for your patience as our partner supplier, Mercedes-Benz,
works feverishly to manufacture the remedy for the subject module.
At this time, Forest River is reviewing and testing a remedy in which complies with FMVSS 108.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #204
GM

Not sure. I didn't write it. But it also says that Forest River is reviewing and testing a remedy. That's the part that is done and just waiting for a spec to finalize instructions. It's not an MB thing.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Old 10-14-2016, 11:53 AM   #205

I have a 2015 24R that I purchased 1 year old..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Not sure. I didn't write it. But it also says that Forest River is reviewing and testing a remedy. That's the part that is done and just waiting for a spec to finalize instructions. It's not an MB thing.
Brian - I never received a recall notice. Who should I call to get in the pipeline ?

Thanks !
Old 10-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #206
GM

Verify that you have the Curt controller first. Mounted underneath, middle rear, towards the bumper. Should say Curt module or Curt controller. If its there, email VIN and contact info the the service contact on the Sunseeker website for information.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:00 PM   #207
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

I have Curt but never received a notice
Old 10-15-2016, 05:28 AM   #208

-I have curt
-I never received a notice but from what I understand it is a notice, not a solution.
-My failure happened on the first trip out we came out of a restaurant with all the rear and side lights on with different levels of brightness, no brake lights.
-The dealer told me they didn't have a clue, they could look at it a month out and would probably switch out the tail lights.
-I fixed myself, new Curt controller was $20
-I made it waterproof with a enclosure
-Now have15,000 miles with no lights issues.

It blows my mind that if I didn't fix it myself, I would have a new rv now a year old without functioning tail lights and no solution from the manufacturer.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 10-15-2016, 07:59 AM   #209

Not surprised at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysunseekermbs View Post
-I have curt
-I never received a notice but from what I understand it is a notice, not a solution.
-My failure happened on the first trip out we came out of a restaurant with all the rear and side lights on with different levels of brightness, no brake lights.
-The dealer told me they didn't have a clue, they could look at it a month out and would probably switch out the tail lights.
-I fixed myself, new Curt controller was $20
-I made it waterproof with a enclosure
-Now have15,000 miles with no lights issues.

It blows my mind that if I didn't fix it myself, I would have a new rv now a year old without functioning tail lights and no solution from the manufacturer.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
The unofficial response from an FR employee on this forum is "that it's not moisture related", yet the recall notice states "moisture intrusion" can cause the failure. The recall notice sent by FR to the owners states that Mercedes is manufacturing the solution - which implies that it's an MB failure, not the module and/or wiring harness specified and installed by FR. Interesting that the notice sent by FR to the dealers doesn't mention MB at all.

Like you, many of us end up repairing our MH/TT because we can't get adequate service from FR or their authorized dealers/service centers. Disappointing, annoying and completely unacceptable - yes, surprising - not at all.

And for the Mom from the hockey town - sorry about my "hostility". I'll go chill by the campfire provided I can get there without my taillights failing.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #210

Hi Katanapilot

Thanks for your offer to repair my CURT Controller. I believe we live far apart. I in California and you in the Eastern USA, but I do appreciate your offer. Maybe some day we might meet on the road somewhere. Thats if our tail, brake lights ever get fixed.

Thanks again
Bill

Tags
controller, light