Old 10-16-2016, 08:11 AM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo35man View Post
Hi Katanapilot

Thanks for your offer to repair my CURT Controller. I believe we live far apart. I in California and you in the Eastern USA, but I do appreciate your offer. Maybe some day we might meet on the road somewhere. Thats if our tail, brake lights ever get fixed.

Thanks again
Bill
You are welcome. I feel for you and your predicament. I would like to think that FR will provide you some compensation for being unable to use your MH, but maybe that's too much to expect.

It is situations like yours and many others posted on this forum that speak volumes about this industry and the need for stronger consumer protection.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:26 AM   #212

Ok - so now I'm very upset with FR !

I have a 2015 Solera 24R with the Curt tail-light controller. I did not get a recall notice, so I called FR and have been exchanging emails and phone conversations. I purchased the unit 1-year old, and verified that no work was done on the tail-light module by the previous owner.

FR tells me that it came with an 'older' design (not) according to their records, and so it would not be part of the recall. However, they cannot produce information that says anyone changed anything !

FR also cannot tell me where they painted it, as I have been asking where to get touch-up paint. Their records indicate a paint-shop that did not paint my FR, as the paint codes are not from that paint shop.

It is clear that for whatever reason FR does not have good records on my unit, but they are trusting their records that I don't have a CURT Controller, or some 'rogue' dealer installed it.

FR Quote: "Iíve talked to several people about this. That coach was supposed to come with the old style converter with the fuse panel. I have no notes in our system showing that we instructed the a dealer to put the taillight module on the back bumper. Therefore the original owner must have had the coach retrofitted with this. So this coach will not be added under the recall because this coach is supposed to have the old style converter. The older style converter is not a part of the recall. You are more than welcome to order the new Hopkins converter from your nearest authorized dealer."

The attached URL shows a picture the CURT controller that came with my 24R.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AthDbJ0kaDaPi30ghLy4PsoHUhcI

Does anyone know exactly what model Hopkins converter is being used, as it appears FR's poor paperwork on my unit is going to force me to fix it myself, and that really pisses me off !

Old 10-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #213

So I took pictures of the CURT controller and VIN#...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Verify that you have the Curt controller first. Mounted underneath, middle rear, towards the bumper. Should say Curt module or Curt controller. If its there, email VIN and contact info the the service contact on the Sunseeker website for information.
FR Customer Service claims some 'rogue' dealer must have installed the Curt Controller (not) so it will not be part of the recall ! I spoke to the previous owner ( I purchased it 1 year old), and to his dealer, and they did not change anything - IT CAME THAT WAY!

Now what Brian ?
Old 10-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #214

Curt taillight controller

nusselejj: you probably didn't get the notice because your unit is registered to the original owner. Good for everyone who bought second hand to make sure FR has the unit registered to you now for notices. Also, if possible, all major appliance mfgrs should be notified for their potential recall and update notices.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Nights camped 2016: 29; RV to date: 32
Old 10-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
FR tells me that it came with an 'older' design (not) according to their records, and so it would not be part of the recall. However, they cannot produce information that says anyone changed anything
A couple of things...

First, the Curt controller looks essentially identical to the controller on my 2015 24R, which is included in the recall. The controller looks right and the way it's mounted to the metal plate looks right, and the ancillary bits - resistors, wiring, etc. - all look right. I'd be more than surprised if someone other than the factory did the installation.

That said, however, I did check the chassis VIN number against mine and it appears that your chassis, at least, is earlier than mine. Do you have the motorhome VIN number (should be something like "4X4MDSZ22FFxxxxxx")?

Dave
Old 10-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #216
GM

I posted a picture of the Hopkins controller a while back.

Isata 3 Recall

When I was there, we did use a different design. We used our own board. If that went out, the only place to get parts was from FR and even then they were not readily available....so we changed to the Curt controller since that was readily available if there ever was an issue. If there was an issue, someone could have put the Curt in place...again, if they could not get parts for the old style.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #217
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Would think that if the repair is a $20 part, I would just replace it myself and call it a day. Maybe try to get reimbursed and/or get new part when available, but it surely wouldn't prevent me from using my camper. In fact even if it was under warranty and the part was available, it would cost me more to take the MH in than it would to replace it myself. There are options as kysunseekermbs has pointed out.
2015 - 41
2016 - 81
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #218

So would the FR part number come with the pigtails installed ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I posted a picture of the Hopkins controller a while back.

Isata 3 Recall

When I was there, we did use a different design. We used our own board. If that went out, the only place to get parts was from FR and even then they were not readily available....so we changed to the Curt controller since that was readily available if there ever was an issue. If there was an issue, someone could have put the Curt in place...again, if they could not get parts for the old style.
That would be one reason why I would purchase it directly from FR.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-19-2016, 12:14 PM   #219

bclemens:

So I sit waiting for FOREST RIVER to get off their butts. I still have not heard one word from them concerning this CURT CONTROLLER issue. I have received the recall letter in AUG. My dealer knows nothing and my unit sits going no where. It in now the middle of OCT and I received the recall notice in AUG.
I keep reading this forum and your replies but still nothing happens. I am extremely upset with FOREST RIVER / SUNSEEKER and now wish that I would not have purchased the MH. I downsized from a 40ft Diesel Pusher because of the cost of maintaining the unit, thinking a smaller unit would be simpler but then this critical issue arises and it seems nothing is getting solved. I will state again, I am too old and have bad legs and no knowledge in electronics for me to be able to repair this problem. I need a solution and a dealer that can make this authorized repair.

Really upset
Bill
Old 10-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #220
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Tell your dealer to replace it with the exact same controller that's in it or buy the Hopkins and when a new one comes available replace that one. At least you can use it. It honestly can't take more than 20 minutes to replace. If the dealer won't do it or wants to charge you too much, take it to an automotive service center. I wouldn't let a $20 part prevent me from using my MH.

2015 - 41
2016 - 81
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, light