Old 04-21-2016, 06:10 PM   #41

Nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
You really improved on the FR solution, and also did a great job documenting it with narrative and pictures !

I think FR should have laughed and said "try again" when the current wiring MESS was presented to them as a solution to the previous wiring design (which btw I hear was located inside the coach). I wouldn't let FR off the hook because someone 'else' designed it. It is after-all, their product and ultimately their decision how to do things.

I have one question now that I see the details of what we have to work with - since you had about 1' of slack in the wiring, what do you think about drilling a hole into the storage pod, and moving the components 'inside', and somehow protecting them within the storage area as opposed to a waterproof box on the 'greasy side' of the rv ? You would be able to comment better than anyone else (including FR).

Again, Great Job !
X2. Only bad part is now I have another project. Would like to use the MH more and work on it less.

Sure hope the FR folks that monitor this forum use this information as feedback for a potential running change to fix a known issue.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:50 PM   #42

We are presently in the final days of our first trip, and in the first 9 days it rained pretty much every day, sometimes "with a passion". About 2 days in the running lights started going on an off randomly (turn signals, brake lights still worked normally). This condition continued for about a week. When it got dry I covered the controller and connections with a heavy duty plastic bag and surrounded the whole mess with 2" wide Gorilla Tape. The flashing continued for another day or two, but all has been normal the last 3 days. It also has not rained. I will ask the dealer to replace the unit when we get back... Really like the repair shown in the previous posts.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 04-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #43
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
X2. Only bad part is now I have another project. Would like to use the MH more and work on it less.

Sure hope the FR folks that monitor this forum use this information as feedback for a potential running change to fix a known issue.
Every day, twice on weekends
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:25 AM   #44

Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Every day, twice on weekends
Good to hear that. Please provide details to us owners when FR makes the change to the MBS chassis so we can properly modify our MH to prevent the failure - since it seems to be a given that the failure will occur.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #45

Curt taillight controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrightwood View Post
On our 2016 2401R the Curt controller and components were (poorly) zip tied to an aluminum plate just in front of rear bumper on the drivers side. The choice of location couldn't be worse for these components to stay dry.

Fortunately there was enough cable to move everything forward a foot or so and place inside a plastic box mounted under the rear corner basement storage area. (I always use stainless mounting screws and washers for any repairs or upgrades to the MH)

Used a piece of plastic cutting board material to mount the components after drilling and tapping. (one of my all time favorite materials to work with - buy the cutting board material at Sam's Club for $8 or $10. Heat resistant, drill it, tap it, sand it, file it or saw- great product to use). The Curt controller had to be zip tied to the plastic board as there were no mounting holes. Used a 1.25" fitting to get all the plugs and wires through. Easily tucked everything into box and held in place.

Cut a piece of 1/4" foam, wrapped and inserted around wires as a seal then used silicone for a final seal.

OMG no, that's probably where mine is! That's a very elegant solution. Thanks for posting this.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 04-22-2016, 10:31 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
It is a shame the factory doesn't take the trouble to do this but having read here that they were sold a bill of goods by the curt salesman, it kind of explaines why it is how it is. You sound like a lot on the forum, see something can be changed/fixed do it!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

It's an explanation, but not an excuse. Notwithstanding the bogus demonstration by Curt, we still have a series of critical electrical components exposed to the elements on the underside of the chassis. We also have a key electrical component installed in contradiction to the manufacturer's written instructions. This truly should be a recall for all units affected. It is an unfortunate safety issue when turn signals, brake lights and/or taillights fail, and as shown in this very thread, this can happen without the driver knowing it. This means we could be driving down the highway in the dark of night with no taillights or brake lights and not know it.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 04-22-2016, 11:01 AM   #47

As Reagan said...

Trust, but verify.

It's the coach manufacturer's responsibility to make sure that components they install are suitable for the task. Specifications are one thing, but the coach manufacturer needs to insure that what they install will perform as designed - since they may not be installed per the component manufacturer's recommendations or the conditions the component will see (like road salt) may not have been properly tested.

So I hope there will be a running change implemented soon and we will be made aware of what that is.

Don't hold your breath on a recall, although I think if enough of us contacted NHTSA, it might encourage FR to re-engineer this installation.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:56 AM   #48

Yup, crawled under there today and that's where it is! 😱

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 04-23-2016, 01:33 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
I have one question now that I see the details of what we have to work with - since you had about 1' of slack in the wiring, what do you think about drilling a hole into the storage pod, and moving the components 'inside', and somehow protecting them within the storage area as opposed to a waterproof box on the 'greasy side' of the rv ? You would be able to comment better than anyone else (including FR)
Yes it could be routed into either the rear driver side or rear center basement storage compartments. It would mean drilling a 1.25" - 1.5" hole into the plastic storage compartment, seal the entrance point and you'd still need to mount the components in a box to keep them from being tore apart by shifting equipment in the basement.

In addition to the components being subject to moisture, attaching brake and tail lighting electronics to a piece of aluminum with zip ties is not an acceptable manufacturing technique. As MNtraveler brings up, this is a driving safety issue. This is not a malfunctioning slide out or toilet.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:40 PM   #50

Another Curt taillight controller failure

We received our MBS 2401R in Feb so it's possible during the delivery trip from the plant to California the RV was driven in rain. The RV has never been driven in the rain during the 1500 miles we've put on it.

My proactive mod was prompted by reading various posts about Curt taillight controller failures not because of a failure. After completing a simple mounting into a watertight electrical box the brake, turn and taillights all worked properly. (no stress was put on any wiring during the mod)

This past week while packing up and preparing to return home after a trip we did a brake, turn signal and taillight test and was surprised to see the taillights failed to come on. Fortunately the return trip home was during daylight hours.

After trouble shooting today I found that the brown output wire was intermittent just inside the Curt controller. Since it's a sealed assembly there's no way to get inside to make a repair. Ordered a new one on Amazon for $21 as I didn't want to waste time on getting it fixed or replaced under warranty.

So add another Curt taillight controller failure to the list.
This is indeed a safety issue that needs attention by FR!

Tags
controller, light