Old 05-17-2016, 05:13 PM   #61

I understand a different set up. Needs to be done by MB. That's what I was told and saw here on the forum.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Old 05-18-2016, 03:03 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Question for the group: Does the Curt controller also run power to the lights for the 7-pin trailer connection, or are those wired separately to the RV electrical system?
I think the Curt controller powers the 7 pin connector according to everything I've seen. The Curt controller has two primary functions as far as I could tell when I had our "W". First it isolated FR's wiring from M-B OEM wiring. This allows the use of LED turn signals in the rear of the coach with standard M-B OEM lights in the front. You normally can't mix LED and traditional bulbs without either an isolater, in this case the Curt unit, or ballasts to balance the bulbs resistance. You can get some neat flashing patterns when you don't do either! It also provided the 7 pin connector wiring from what I could see. Since everything on our MBS was nicely wrapped in a half mile or so of electrical tape I did not chase the individual wires.

Quick and easy test to verify this; disconnect your Curt units wiring and see if the 7 pin connector still works.

RedLdr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:14 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I understand a different set up. Needs to be done by MB. That's what I was told and saw here on the forum.

Brake controller through MB or freightliner.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:47 PM   #64

Thanks all.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:42 AM   #65

Another Curt taillight controller failure

We picked up our 2016 Sunseeker 2400W last month and just traveled to the Outer Banks N.C. from Mass. This was our SHAKEDOWN cruise and I will put up another post about that later. On the way home we drove through some heavy rain and BIG puddles. At our campground that night, I noticed that the tail lights would not go out. I tried drying out the Curt unit with a hair dryer and some WD40, but no luck. I called our Dealership and they could only tell me that something got wet, but nothing about the Curt. I called Coach-Net and they offered to have someone come out and make sure we got to a repair center safely (using a follow-vehicle I guess). Anyway I decided to just push on home and get the problem fixed after we got home. I realized that I had no brake lights or directionals when we checked the lights out again in the morning before leaving. Probably not the smartest thing to do, but I was very careful ..... and I found if I put the lights on, I at least had one bright brake light on all the time. After getting home I found that by pulling the #10 fuse in the driver seat fuse panel I could kill the lights. I called Coach-net after getting home and they found an authorized Forest River repair center about an hour away. We take the RV in for that tomorrow and I will let you know how that goes.

I've seen many posts about this issue and many have wondered why FR has not responded or issued a recall. I wonder also ..... as a new Forest River owner is this what we can expect? I'll add my two cents here - FOREST RIVER - PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS - IT IS A VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION. IT'S POSSIBLE TO BE DRIVING AND NOT EVEN KNOW THAT YOUR BRAKE LIGHTS AND DIRECTIONALS ARE NOT WORKING.

BTW - this forum is terrific!!
Old 05-23-2016, 03:12 PM   #66

Don't hold your breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreusel View Post
We picked up our 2016 Sunseeker 2400W last month and just traveled to the Outer Banks N.C. from Mass. This was our SHAKEDOWN cruise and I will put up another post about that later. On the way home we drove through some heavy rain and BIG puddles. At our campground that night, I noticed that the tail lights would not go out. I tried drying out the Curt unit with a hair dryer and some WD40, but no luck. I called our Dealership and they could only tell me that something got wet, but nothing about the Curt. I called Coach-Net and they offered to have someone come out and make sure we got to a repair center safely (using a follow-vehicle I guess). Anyway I decided to just push on home and get the problem fixed after we got home. I realized that I had no brake lights or directionals when we checked the lights out again in the morning before leaving. Probably not the smartest thing to do, but I was very careful ..... and I found if I put the lights on, I at least had one bright brake light on all the time. After getting home I found that by pulling the #10 fuse in the driver seat fuse panel I could kill the lights. I called Coach-net after getting home and they found an authorized Forest River repair center about an hour away. We take the RV in for that tomorrow and I will let you know how that goes.

I've seen many posts about this issue and many have wondered why FR has not responded or issued a recall. I wonder also ..... as a new Forest River owner is this what we can expect? I'll add my two cents here - FOREST RIVER - PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS - IT IS A VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION. IT'S POSSIBLE TO BE DRIVING AND NOT EVEN KNOW THAT YOUR BRAKE LIGHTS AND DIRECTIONALS ARE NOT WORKING.

BTW - this forum is terrific!!
Sorry you are having this problem, but I for one am not at all surprised.

This problem has been around for a while and one would hope that it had been dealt with by now. The installation location is poor, the installation itself (zip ties) is poor and replacing a defective controller with a new one in the same location is likely to result in the same or similar failure.

Unless FR steps up to the plate and issues a TSB or recall, you will be on your own to solve this problem. There are a couple of good solutions developed by owners here on this forum.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:13 AM   #67

New CURT controller arriving today

I'm anxious to see how much wire I have on both sides of the CURT Controller. Hopefully I have a couple feet. If so, it will allow me to mount the controller on the inside wall of the rear storage compartment. I plan on putting a 1.5" grommet into the bottom of the storage compartment to pass the plugs through.

One concern I have is how to crimp the barrel connectors. Apparently you need a special crimper.

Although I have not removed the plate that the controller is mounted to, I hope the other things mounted to the plate can remain, and are not affected by WATER, ROAD DEBRIS, or whatever else splashes up onto the plate from the road.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:20 AM   #68

If you're upgrading/fixing your Curt controller solder the connections and use shrink tubing rather than crimp on barrel connectors. I've replaced way too many crimp on connectors due to intermittent connections.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:34 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrightwood View Post
If you're upgrading/fixing your Curt controller solder the connections and use shrink tubing rather than crimp on barrel connectors. I've replaced way too many crimp on connectors due to intermittent connections.
Correct - but I still want the Curt Controller to be connected with two plugs in case it fails and I have to swap it out. I think the plugs are good quality - they should be for their price ! I'll have 2 curt's - the original, and a new one. I might as well make one a 'backup'.

The best design would be for the plugs to also be 'inside', but that would mean I have to extend the 10 wires.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:41 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
Although I have not removed the plate that the controller is mounted to, I hope the other things mounted to the plate can remain, and are not affected by WATER, ROAD DEBRIS, or whatever else splashes up onto the plate from the road.
My plate has three items in addition to the controller. There are two 6 ohm, 50 watt resistors, which have gold colored metallic heat sinks:
RH0506R000FE02 Vishay Dale | Resistors | DigiKey
The third item is a Hella "weather proof" relay:
Hella Relay12 Volt DC 40 amp Weatherproof Relay 007794321
My guess is that the resistors are reasonably weather proof...not so sure about the relay even though it's advertised that way.

Dave

Tags
controller, light