Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2016, 05:38 AM   #121

So is it the location or the controller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeboone View Post
Well "so far so good" was a fleeting sentiment. Unfortunately my second Curt controller failed this weekend and had to whip out my spare in order to drive home with brake lights and turn signals. When I installed the first replacement I "sealed" the unit and the connectors in plastic, granted the job wasn't super fantastic. Nevertheless, it lasted through quite a few miles of deluge. Interestingly it would appear the original Curt controller (the first one that failed) which has been sitting in my garage since last fall is working again. When I got home today, I plugged in the original briefly and everything seemed to work. I then plugged in #2 that failed this weekend and got the phantom light and no brakes/signals. So I went back to my spare (#3) for the time being. I may opt for the fully potted controller now and a better solution for sealing the controller and the connectors.
I realize most of our opinions are just that and not a true failure analysis - but are you convinced that the location and the presence of moisture is what is causing your failures? My guess is your "new" controller also got wet through the plastic bag? The "old" controller dried out and started working again.

This week I am working on moving mine to a weatherproof box, but leaving the relay and heat sink load resistors on the aluminum plate. The plate will be mounted to the cover of the weatherproof box so as to no longer be zip tied to the bumper. This way the resistors will not be trapped inside the box and transfer heat to the controller. The aluminum plate will also be a heat sink. I will carry a spare relay just in case and pack the terminals with dielectric grease (Dow Corning DC4). My thought it to use receptacle assemblies though the box so I don't have to re-wire anything.

Sure would be good to hear something from FR on a solution to this potential safety issue. They can expend resources on an improved pantry and do so very quickly, but something that really matters seems to take way too much time. Is it just me?
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:43 AM   #122
Class C Representative

With all the compliments, complaints, and suggestions we've upgraded our Curt controller. I'm waiting on our electrical engineer to get back with me on a model number and the differences. I will report back when I find out.

Edit*

The retail part number is Hopkins Tow Solutions part # 46370

PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #123

More information needed please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
With all the compliments, complaints, and suggestions we've upgraded our Curt controller. I'm waiting on our electrical engineer to get back with me on a model number and the differences. I will report back when I find out.

Edit*

The retail part number is Hopkins Tow Solutions part # 46370

It is good to know that FR is making some kind of change. I still have a couple of questions -

1. Is this a running change going forward?
2. Was the Curt controller issue due to location? In other words, did FR determine that it was not water/weatherproof and needed to be given the mounting on the rear bumper?
3. Is FR going to provide/sell an "upgrade" kit to owners with the Curt controller? While we certainly can buy the Hopkins controller ourselves, it does not appear that is is easily compatible with the Deutsch connectors already installed on many of our MBS motorhomes.

I would like to think that we will not be on our own to either weatherproof our Curt controllers or come up with some other solution with the Hopkins.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:37 PM   #124
Class C Representative

1. Yes
2. No, in fact, our Electrical engineer took a controller and let it sit in water for a couple days and then cut it open with no internal water damage.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Old 06-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #125

What happened to response #3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
1. Yes
2. No, in fact, our Electrical engineer took a controller and let it sit in water for a couple days and then cut it open with no internal water damage.
Can I assume from your edit of your response and deleting item number 3 - that FR is contemplating some sort of upgrade/retrofit kit for the hundreds of us with Curt controllers?

If FR is going to provide dealers with a retrofit kit from Curt to Hopkins for warranty claims, then one might assume such a kit would be available to the end users as well.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:16 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
Can I assume from your edit of your response and deleting item number 3 - that FR is contemplating some sort of upgrade/retrofit kit for the hundreds of us with Curt controllers?

If FR is going to provide dealers with a retrofit kit from Curt to Hopkins for warranty claims, then one might assume such a kit would be available to the end users as well.
Hopkins model 46370 is new according to customer support. It would have to be ordered from eTrailer, as it does not seem to be available anywhere else. It 'appears' it has the same or similar wiring to the CURT controller - 6 on one side, 4 on the other. It may be a relatively easy swap-out unless there will also be a change to the physical location.

Question: do you have to purchase the costly crimper in order to wire the Deutsch plugs ?
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:20 AM   #127

Water intrusion into the Deutsch plug is what caused my tail/brake lights to stay on. Do we really want to keep that connector?
Old 06-21-2016, 07:46 AM   #128
Class C Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post

I didn't have a definitive answer for this and posted too soon. When I get a clearer answer I will get back to you.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:42 AM   #129

On my second controller. Curt tech rep states both controllers are good and problem is fr wiring on my 2016 2400ws. Controllers work perfect when operating rv, running lights are energized intermittently when parked and not running. Water not an issue as controller is sealed with box. Any help??
fishheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #130

The two power resistors are tie wrapped loosely to the metal plate and needs to be hard screwed to plate with heat sink compound applied between resistors and plate to be an acceptable heat sink. Current installation is useless for this purpose.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishheads View Post
On my second controller. Curt tech rep states both controllers are good and problem is fr wiring on my 2016 2400ws. Controllers work perfect when operating rv, running lights are energized intermittently when parked and not running. Water not an issue as controller is sealed with box. Any help??

Check your connectors just off the Curt box - I eliminated mine completely and used splice butts but I suspect like dukeboone that the moisture problem is in the wire connection off the controller.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-22-2016, 07:31 PM   #132

Wiring connections are wrapped with rubber tape and electrical tape and are dry.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:47 PM   #133

This is a latent forest river design flaw, a retro kit with a re-designed mbs light interface is required to address and correct the issue. Replacing controllers, waterproof connectors, etc is a temporary fix. If fr is not pro-active with a kit fix, will drop rv off at warranty repair and say keep until resolved.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:45 PM   #134

Quote:
This is a latent forest river design flaw, a retro kit with a re-designed mbs light interface is required to address and correct the issue. Replacing controllers, waterproof connectors, etc is a temporary fix. If fr is not pro-active with a kit fix, will drop rv off at warranty repair and say keep until resolved.

I don't agree - my problem occurred on first trip - I replaced controller and placed in a dry home and now have over 5000 miles no problem.

Unless my dealer wants to rent it from me, I don't ever plan on letting them keep it, especially to figure out a problem. Trust the knowledge on the forum.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Old 06-22-2016, 08:55 PM   #135

My issue did not occur until 4500 miles, so is not a mileage condition. Being an experienced electrical engineer, it is a poor design period.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:24 PM   #136

Quote:
My issue did not occur until 4500 miles, so is not a mileage condition. Being an experienced electrical engineer, it is a poor design period.

I wasn't saying a mileage condition, I was saying my countermeasure has had no issues and a lot of mileage of testing. If your an electrical engineer I encourage you to further troubleshoot yourself instead of dropping off to your dealer. I can assure you they are not electrical engineers!

I am not trying to be argumentative just wanted to clarify that if you read the over 100 posts on this thread there is some consistent info on the problem. Regardless of what forest river does on future to countermeasure the problem I feel confident mine is addressed.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Old 06-22-2016, 09:25 PM   #137

Following

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:07 AM   #138

So the Curt controller problem only becomes an issue when using the trailer electrical connection for towing a trailer or toad in wet weather. Is that correct or am I missing something here?
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:16 AM   #139

Electrical problem originates at the Curt controller, part of the electrical system also used by trailer electrical. You can have a short due to water infiltration without towing.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:11 PM   #140

I haven't towed anything so far. Installed the fully potted controller today, it's supposed to be fully weather proof, so if it fails I'm going to think the Deutsch connectors are the culprit.

Tags
controller, light