Old 05-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #71

Dave - that is some great work ! I think at this point you know more about the setup than FR does !

Old 05-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #72

Well just got back from the authorized FR repair shop. They told me that the location of the Curt unit was about as bad a design as they have ever seen and that they couldn't fix it without ordering new parts. They were going to file a warranty claim with FR. It will be interesting to see what FR does here. In the last three days, the Curt must have dried out some as my directionals and brake lights have started working again ..... but I still can't shut the lights off without pulling fuse #10. Depending on FR response and what they send out for parts I may consider filing a report to the NTSB ...... as this is a definite safety issue that must be addressed (whether that would go anywhere or not, I'm not sure - never done it before). Any of you who have a similar Curt set-up on your RV should take some steps to waterproof or weatherproof these units.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #73

Anybody from FR going to weigh in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreusel View Post
Well just got back from the authorized FR repair shop. They told me that the location of the Curt unit was about as bad a design as they have ever seen and that they couldn't fix it without ordering new parts. They were going to file a warranty claim with FR. It will be interesting to see what FR does here. In the last three days, the Curt must have dried out some as my directionals and brake lights have started working again ..... but I still can't shut the lights off without pulling fuse #10. Depending on FR response and what they send out for parts I may consider filing a report to the NTSB ...... as this is a definite safety issue that must be addressed (whether that would go anywhere or not, I'm not sure - never done it before). Any of you who have a similar Curt set-up on your RV should take some steps to waterproof or weatherproof these units.
I'm sure you meant NHTSA, not NTSB and you can file your vehicle complaint here.

If enough of us do this, maybe FR will get the message, since they sure aren't listening to this forum

Not sure what replacing the same components in the same poor location will do, but hope it works for you. I'm ordering pigtails to move mine inside the storage locker - a fix courtesy of a couple of the more resourceful members of the forum.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:20 PM   #74

Yep .... I did mean the NHTSA and thanks for the link. Once I get good working replacement parts I'll see what the techs say at the repair facility I went to. They may have some ideas ..... or maybe I'll try to go the way you are going. I'm beginning to see a common thought in all of these forum threads and that is to DIY instead of depending on FR. So glad I joined this forum - lots of great ideas and solutions! Thanks KatanaPilot!
Old 05-24-2016, 06:05 PM   #75

This whole debacle with the Curt controller is rather absurd yet also confusing. I'm not entirely convinced that the Curt controller is the sole issue. It's puzzling that Curt represented to FR that the controller was water resistant. Yet the installation instructions that were affixed to my replacement controller I bought from Amazon clearly stated that the module should be installed in a "protected location similar to a vehicle interior".

Personally I think failure on mine was due (at least in part) to the fact that one of the rubber gaskets on the Deutsch connector was missing. See my earlier post for a photo here.

In my case upon replacing the Curt controller module I also purchased the Deutsch connectors so that wasn't permanently modifying the MH in the event I needed to pursue a warranty claim. The Curt controller ships with quite a bit of wiring so I left the leads pretty long which allowed me to shove them up underneath the coach further than with the original Curt controller. I also spread some conductive grease on the rubber gasket and the metallic connector pins. I subsequently wrapped the Curt controller in a ziploc bag and used a bunch of packing tape to try and seal it up.

At the time I realized that my method wouldn't provide a impermeable barrier, but figured it would keep most of the moisture out. Thus far, every one of my trips has involved mountain passes and torrential rains. To date, everything still works as intended however upon returning from my most recent trip I checked the module and could easily tell there was a fair amount of moisture, now trapped by my ziploc/packing tape job. So far I've left it alone and the Curt controller is sitting in this moisture and everything is still working. I'll likely find a better solution for weatherproofing the module itself, but for the time being I've been testing it periodically to confirm operation. I also have a spare module with the proper connectors in the glove box should I need it.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:11 PM   #76

This is beyond annoying

In some ways we only have ourselves to blame for the problems. We despise going to the dealer for warranty service - because they are either too slow, incompetent or they fight with FR over who is to blame - so we end up fixing the poor design, the bad engineering or the sloppy build quality - ourselves.

So the statisticians at FR that process warranty claims sit there fat, dumb and happy and Peter Liegl pats himself on the back for a job well done.

We need to demand a better product and service for our hard earned money. Just my opinion, clearly not widely held on this forum.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:13 AM   #77

After reading about all the problems others have had with the Curt controller, I contacted Joshua Cavitt to see what FR was doing about this. I wanted to make sure it was addressed before picking up my RV.

Here is his reply...

"The tail light issue hasn't been a concern for units coming off this late in the model year."

I'm not sure what FR has done that makes it a non issue but after I picked up my 2017 Forester MBS 2401S I looked and found the Curt Controller located just behind the back bumper exposed to the elements. I'm not sure how this is installation is any different than the earlier models and how it resolved the problem.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:19 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithe View Post
After reading about all the problems others have
Here is his reply...

"The tail light issue hasn't been a concern for units coming off this late in the model year."
WOW - let me restate his reply - FOR ALL OF YOU WHO DON'T HAVE A NEW UNIT PRODUCED LATE IN THIS MODEL YEAR - SORRY FOR YOUR LUCK !

At least his response confirms a "factory rep" has admitted there is an issue.

Here is where you file a complaint with the NHTSA. Because Forest River is not in the list, you have to request the "PDF Version" that they will send to your email.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/complaint.cfm
Old 05-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #79

Joshua's response makes no sense. It seems FR isn't taking this seriously. I encourage every owner who has experienced a failure to file a NHTSA report at the link above. Since everyone's time is valuable, you can copy and paste what you posted here onto the report form with maybe a little cleanup.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 05-25-2016, 01:09 PM   #80

Hey, they got your money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
WOW - let me restate his reply - FOR ALL OF YOU WHO DON'T HAVE A NEW UNIT PRODUCED LATE IN THIS MODEL YEAR - SORRY FOR YOUR LUCK !

At least his response confirms a "factory rep" has admitted there is an issue.

Here is where you file a complaint with the NHTSA. Because Forest River is not in the list, you have to request the "PDF Version" that they will send to your email.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/complaint.cfm
So either FR has "solved" the Curt controller/taillight issue with a running change or they don't consider it an issue. If they have changed the installation somehow, it would sure have been nice for them to share the details with us. But then, that would be an admission of how badly they messed this one up and they don't seem to be anxious to admit anything.

As I've commented before (and been summarily dismissed by certain contributors) - I don't believe that FR really cares about your satisfaction. They never survey you after the sale nor after warranty service. If they did, I think they would get an earful from many of us. But why bother when they are selling as many units as they can push out the door?

It's a shame that we have to put up with this in order to do something that should be so fun. They manage to take much of the enjoyment out of traveling and camping simply because we are constantly waiting for the next component to fail.

Check out the Forester sub-forum on roof leaks if you want to see how well they are building these things.

Tags
controller, light