Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2016, 02:45 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
So either FR has "solved" the Curt controller/taillight issue with a running change or they don't consider it an issue....
My new CURT and plugs arrived today. I may not have time to craft and install a solution before we leave Friday morning for a weekend trip into PA.

There is a 50% chance of rain through the weekend.

If my tail-lights fail this weekend before I am able to re-engineer their poor installation, I will call the NHTSA directly, file a complaint, and demand they address the problem. I'm traveling with my family this weekend and their safety is #1, #2, and #3. This is a serious issue, and FR ignoring our safety is beyond comprehension.
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #82

RTFI

Too bad FR didn't bother to have someone read the installation instructions from Curt -

5. Locate a clean accessible mounting location for the converter
module. If locating on the outside the vehicle cabin, find a clean
surface that is out of the path of spray and debris from the rear
wheels and the road surface.

Don't think zip tied to the rear bumper of the motorhome meets these requirements. Don't care that "they poured water on it" when Curt demonstrated it, either.

For anyone that has modified their controller - did you consider this model of controller? It's more expensive, but it's potted and in a watertight enclosure. Maybe that's the one that they demonstrated and "someone" decided it was too costly - so they substituted the cheap one.

CURT Manufacturing - CURT Multi-Function Taillight Converter Kit #59236

Again, anybody from FR care to weigh in?
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #83
Commercial Member

I don't work at that division anymore, but in their defense on location...on that same instruction sheet it says "behind driver side rear bumper" as a possible installation location.

I'm sure they are working on it and will post their findings once they have them. We're all required to do so.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:02 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
WOW - let me restate his reply - FOR ALL OF YOU WHO DON'T HAVE A NEW UNIT PRODUCED LATE IN THIS MODEL YEAR - SORRY FOR YOUR LUCK !

At least his response confirms a "factory rep" has admitted there is an issue.

Here is where you file a complaint with the NHTSA. Because Forest River is not in the list, you have to request the "PDF Version" that they will send to your email.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/complaint.cfm
I just filed a complaint with the NHTSA using the PDF form. We'll see what happens.
rkreusel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:41 AM   #85

Step 5
Locate a flat spot inside the vehicle, near the taillight. Adhere
the black converter box using the provided double-sided tape.

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:52 PM   #86

I've got my rig in for major water damage on the overhead cab (do yourself a favor and inspect your roof lines and clearance lights up there) but had my dealer also put in a claim on the Curt controller as my lights spent a couple hours staying on due to water shorting it out. FR pushed back on this aspect of my claim and my dealer said it's not worth his time to fight it. Instead they're just going to use Wrightwood's fix (post #38) and do it themselves. I've had my share of bad luck with the coach, but I think I got lucky with my dealer (Goshen Indiana) who's going to have me back on the road in under a month. I'd suggest this dealer to anyone looking to buy or get service done, they've taken great care of me.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos1060 View Post
I've got my rig in for major water damage on the overhead cab (do yourself a favor and inspect your roof lines and clearance lights up there) but had my dealer also put in a claim on the Curt controller as my lights spent a couple hours staying on due to water shorting it out. FR pushed back on this aspect of my claim and my dealer said it's not worth his time to fight it. Instead they're just going to use Wrightwood's fix (post #38) and do it themselves. I've had my share of bad luck with the coach, but I think I got lucky with my dealer (Goshen Indiana) who's going to have me back on the road in under a month. I'd suggest this dealer to anyone looking to buy or get service done, they've taken great care of me.
The arrogance of FR to push back on this is unbelievable. They should be thankful you didn't report this to NHTSA.

And here is another post of "major water damage" in the overhead cab due to poor design/installation by FR.

Glad you found a good servicing dealer. Wish I had a decent one in Atlanta when my MH was under warranty. It's posts like yours that add to my conviction to never buy from FR again. If they are the best of the best, then never another MH for me either.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #88

2017 2401S Curt is still mounted behind rear wheel

I picked up up our 2401S Forester a month ago. It was built the last week of March. The Curt controller was mounted outside the coach between the rear dump station trunk and the rear wall of the coach. My wiring was long enough to remove all electronics from the plate, drill a 1" hole in the right side wall of the dump station trunk and pull all the wiring inside. I remounted everything to the plate and mounted it in the right rear corner. Then I foam filled the hole with urethane.
The only component I left outside was the relay because it is sealed. Even though it is meant to be mounted outside, I still made a splash guard for it.
It only took an hour and hopefully will prevent the problems everyone is having.
I can take photos if anyone wants them.
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar and Sumo Springs
Live in W Bloomfield, Michigan and Naples, Florida
tnjmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:25 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
The arrogance of FR to push back on this is unbelievable. They should be thankful you didn't report this to NHTSA.

And here is another post of "major water damage" in the overhead cab due to poor design/installation by FR.

Glad you found a good servicing dealer. Wish I had a decent one in Atlanta when my MH was under warranty. It's posts like yours that add to my conviction to never buy from FR again. If they are the best of the best, then never another MH for me either.

Actually, I already did report it to the NHTSA...this is definitely a safety concern which should be taken seriously. Can't believe FR would fight this considering how simple and inexpensive the fix is. The more alarming thing to me is that they are continuing to mount them in that spot on the 2017's knowing it's an inferior design. Unfortunately it will probably take one of us getting rear ended because the car/truck/semi behind us didn't know we were braking...so sad.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:07 PM   #90
Commercial Member

So the dealer says something to a customer the customer posts what their dealer told them and its taken as gospel? I assure you FR is not arrogantly "pushing back on this".

Old 05-26-2016, 04:14 PM   #91
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pod2Vibe View Post
Step 5
Locate a flat spot inside the vehicle, near the taillight. Adhere
the black converter box using the provided double-sided tape.
For purpose of full disclosure and to reduce selective quoting. Attached is the full instruction sheet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Curt 56146[5].pdf (1.11 MB, 125 views)

Old 05-26-2016, 04:26 PM   #92

To quote a famous politician..

"At this point, what difference does it make?"

The controller is not waterproof/weather resistant or whatever. They are failing for some people on their initial trip. Trying to affix blame on Curt is irrelevant. FR is the manufacturer of the motorhome. I didn't buy a Curt controller with an FR motorhome attached.

FR knows there is a problem and has known for quite a while now. It needs to be fixed. Stop acting like it's someone else's fault or responsibility.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #93
Commercial Member

When did I ever blame anyone? Everyone is making assumptions that its the location and moisture causing the issue and saying FR was stupid to put them there and if they would just move them, then all problems solved. Making statements that Curt clearly says not to put it where they put it and that's the problem.

You've made assumptions that FR saved a buck and substituted a cheap one. I can tell you the 56146 I saw, was potted as well.

All I am trying to do is provide facts or documentation where there is speculation and assumptions. Not once did I ever state it was someone else responsibility. To the contrary, I said I am sure they are working on it and will post their findings, we are all required to do so.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:28 PM   #94

Thank you for the courteous reply, Brian. I know you've moved on to working with the Dynamax line, but you've continued to be responsive to MBS questions from Forester, Solera and Sunseeker owners and I appreciate your response. I'm interested in the prompt resolution of this safety issue by FR.
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:42 PM   #95

Agreed.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 06-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #96

FR drops the ball with the CURT Unit repair!!

What did FR do .... they sent the repair shop the exact same part that failed with no new directions for installing it in a more protected location. So now it's up to me to find a better way to protect it (I have seen some good ideas on the thread about the failed CURT unit). To me this is totally unacceptable and I'm betting that FR has delivered 100's of units with the same CURT set-up and location. All of these will fail eventually (when they get soaking wet) and you will be left with a very dangerous safety situation. I know there are two very good FR reps on this forum and I sure do wish they would help us to get a resolution on this issue. I have not called FR directly yet and maybe that's my next approach. I have reported this issue to the NHTSB ..... I'm not sure what the status of that is, but at least I reported it. I wish every other FR owner who has had this issue or has their CURT unit located in a very exposed location would do the same.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:38 AM   #97
Commercial Member

again, its not the location. They are working on it and I would expect an official response soon.

What are the lights on your tow vehicle? Main issue is that these things are set up for LED lights, not high draw incandescents.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
again, its not the location. They are working on it and I would expect an official response soon.

What are the lights on your tow vehicle? Main issue is that these things are set up for LED lights, not high draw incandescents.
bclemens ...... thanks for replying. But ..... if it's not the location (and if you haven't seen it - it's directly in the path of the rear wheel spray - totally exposed) then is it the CURT Controller? Why would they send me a repair part that's destined to fail again?

I don't have a tow vehicle, so that's not relative.

I'm sorry - I just don't understand their lack of response with a safety issue as important as this.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:17 PM   #99
Commercial Member

I've seen it.

There are procedures to this stuff and they are following those procedures.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:30 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I've seen it.

There are procedures to this stuff and they are following those procedures.
Well .... I sure am looking forward to hearing their official response! Being a new FR owner all I have to go on are the posts in this forum so I'm not familiar with "the procedures for this stuff". Any chance you could tell us a little more about them; what is the process; how do they prioritize issues; how do they expedite issues; how do they communicate safety issues to us; etc, etc, etc.

From everything that I can gather this issue has been around since September of last year ........ how much time do they need?

Tags
controller, light