Old 03-29-2016, 05:12 PM   #1

Curt taillight controller

I've lost my taillights, turn signals and running lights. Almost certainly a Curt controller failure. Does anyone have the forest river part number. I spoke to the tech support at Curt and he'll happily send me one, but needs the part number. I've got a call into Travis at Forest river but need a number by 6 pm Eastern time to get one shipped and her by Friday. Any help out there?

backdoctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #2

And. Has anyone taken a wet not working controller and put it in a rice bag and dried it out, and had it work?
Thanks.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:40 PM   #3

I think it is a matter of getting wet and corroding the connections. That said, any part numbers on the curt box? WD 40 may make it work. Should be a number on it some where.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #4

I had an episode of brake light staying on due to water in the "waterproof" plug to the controller one week after getting Solera. Opened the connector, dried the visible water with dry q tips . Re plugged and all was well. Later sealed the wire end of the connector with silicone. No problems since. Only shorted brake lights. Are you sure that you dont have a fuse problem. The fuse for the power to the controller is under the driver seat in my unit.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #5

It's the Curt 56146 Wiring taillight converter. It was $23 on Amazon when I ordered it.

Note that if it is not covered it will happen again while driving in the rain.
It is not supposed to be located in a place where it gets direct water per Curt documentation.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-29-2016, 07:37 PM   #6

Note: that the pin connector connections are not included in this part and could be the source of the problem.

It looks like two gray box connection squares. I eliminated mine and uses butt splice joints with heatshrink and then placed the entire think in a pvc conduit box

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-01-2016, 01:29 AM   #7

When I replaced my Curt controller I intentionally purchased the connectors to avoid modifying the MH in the event that the Curt replacement did not solve my issue. The required parts for mine were the following:

CURT 56146 Wiring Taillight Converter
MSD 8180 6-Pin Deutsch Connector
MSD 8181 4-Pin Deutsch Connector

The 6-Pin Connector on mine was missing the gasket which may have been the cause of the problem. Nevertheless the installation instructions on the Curt indicate that it should be installed in a protected area similar to a vehicle interior.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Curt Controller.png
Views:	141
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	103517   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-Pin Deutsch Connector.png
Views:	124
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	103518   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-Pin Deutsch Connector.png
Views:	131
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	103519   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	493.1 KB
ID:	103520  
Old 04-01-2016, 06:12 AM   #8

Thanks all. I learned from Travis at Forest river warranty Dept that they buy the controller from Curt, and have a third party install the connectors. I learned the same thing from Curt technical support. And in the end, due to time constraints, my service guy at RV Canada got me into the shop and spliced a unit in. And Travis agreed to warrant it. So I can only say thanks to all involved. The manufacturer, the jobber and my service folks. Everyone stepped up to help me get on the road this morning with signals and markers operational. And you folks on the forum, making me aware of the problem in the first place, and helping to source the needed information about the steps to repair it. I love this board! And I'm grateful for the support I get from you all. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:35 PM   #9
GM

sad part is when Curt came and pitched that controller, they doused it with water to show how water resistant it was.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:43 PM   #10

That is exactly what Travis said! And after opening up the body of the controller, there was no moisture in it... Unfortunately water has a way of making its way into almost everything, it just takes time.

Tags
controller, light