Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #1

Curt taillight controller

I've lost my taillights, turn signals and running lights. Almost certainly a Curt controller failure. Does anyone have the forest river part number. I spoke to the tech support at Curt and he'll happily send me one, but needs the part number. I've got a call into Travis at Forest river but need a number by 6 pm Eastern time to get one shipped and her by Friday. Any help out there?
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:14 PM   #2

And. Has anyone taken a wet not working controller and put it in a rice bag and dried it out, and had it work?
Thanks.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:40 PM   #3

I think it is a matter of getting wet and corroding the connections. That said, any part numbers on the curt box? WD 40 may make it work. Should be a number on it some where.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:55 PM   #4

I had an episode of brake light staying on due to water in the "waterproof" plug to the controller one week after getting Solera. Opened the connector, dried the visible water with dry q tips . Re plugged and all was well. Later sealed the wire end of the connector with silicone. No problems since. Only shorted brake lights. Are you sure that you dont have a fuse problem. The fuse for the power to the controller is under the driver seat in my unit.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:20 PM   #5

It's the Curt 56146 Wiring taillight converter. It was $23 on Amazon when I ordered it.

Note that if it is not covered it will happen again while driving in the rain.
It is not supposed to be located in a place where it gets direct water per Curt documentation.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-29-2016, 06:37 PM   #6

Note: that the pin connector connections are not included in this part and could be the source of the problem.

It looks like two gray box connection squares. I eliminated mine and uses butt splice joints with heatshrink and then placed the entire think in a pvc conduit box

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Old 04-01-2016, 12:29 AM   #7

When I replaced my Curt controller I intentionally purchased the connectors to avoid modifying the MH in the event that the Curt replacement did not solve my issue. The required parts for mine were the following:

CURT 56146 Wiring Taillight Converter
MSD 8180 6-Pin Deutsch Connector
MSD 8181 4-Pin Deutsch Connector

The 6-Pin Connector on mine was missing the gasket which may have been the cause of the problem. Nevertheless the installation instructions on the Curt indicate that it should be installed in a protected area similar to a vehicle interior.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Curt Controller.png
Views:	287
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	103517   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-Pin Deutsch Connector.png
Views:	275
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	103518   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-Pin Deutsch Connector.png
Views:	677
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	103519   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	493.1 KB
ID:	103520  
Old 04-01-2016, 05:12 AM   #8

Thanks all. I learned from Travis at Forest river warranty Dept that they buy the controller from Curt, and have a third party install the connectors. I learned the same thing from Curt technical support. And in the end, due to time constraints, my service guy at RV Canada got me into the shop and spliced a unit in. And Travis agreed to warrant it. So I can only say thanks to all involved. The manufacturer, the jobber and my service folks. Everyone stepped up to help me get on the road this morning with signals and markers operational. And you folks on the forum, making me aware of the problem in the first place, and helping to source the needed information about the steps to repair it. I love this board! And I'm grateful for the support I get from you all. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:35 PM   #9
Commercial Member

sad part is when Curt came and pitched that controller, they doused it with water to show how water resistant it was.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:43 PM   #10

That is exactly what Travis said! And after opening up the body of the controller, there was no moisture in it... Unfortunately water has a way of making its way into almost everything, it just takes time.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:46 PM   #11

Is it possible for FR to share with us the improved installation information? I would like to be proactive and move/replace the controller before it falls victim to moisture failure.

Thanks.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:21 PM   #12

According to my service guys, FR has moved the mounting location on some of their controllers to directly BEHIND the rear duallies, near the bumper! Can't vouch for accuracy, but if so WTF?
Old 04-03-2016, 06:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoctor View Post
According to my service guys, FR has moved the mounting location on some of their controllers to directly BEHIND the rear duallies, near the bumper! Can't vouch for accuracy, but if so WTF?

I can verify its mounted there on mine, I have had it since last October 2015 (2016 model year). A friend of mine just picked his up 1 month ago that was fresh of the assembly line and it was in the same place. We both had a failure of the controller.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Old 04-03-2016, 01:37 PM   #14

Understood. I was under the impression that as a result of the numerous failures due to location, FR had either found an improved controller and/or had changed the mounting location to reduce the failures.

If that is the case, I was looking for the schematics and/or part numbers for the running change so I could do the same to my 2015 MBS.

Thanks.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:28 AM   #15

Update. I just got a message from my friend who bought an identical one to ours built around first of year.

He was pulled over for no rear lights last night while 1000 miles from home - Curt controller strikes again.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Old 04-04-2016, 06:47 AM   #16

More than just the Curt Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysunseekermbs View Post
Update. I just got a message from my friend who bought an identical one to ours built around first of year.

He was pulled over for no rear lights last night while 1000 miles from home - Curt controller strikes again.
I see 3-4 items that can potentially cause problems. The Curt, the 4-pin and 6-pin plugs, and whatever that pair of gold and black things are bolted to the plate. I have not taken mine off yet to figure out what they are.

This is a problem that can potentially affect any of us. Why in the world FR would put it where they did is beyond me. It had to be a result of convenience. It will get wet, it could fail. I don't really think Curt is responsible for this one. I installed a CURT controller into my Nissan Murano for trailer lights/brakes, and I would not ever consider putting it UNDERNEATH the vehicle - I found a location inside, in a protected area.

It looks like another project. Lets hope FR moves this thing for future owners.

Deal with it now, or troubleshoot it on the side of the freeway...
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:36 AM   #17

It does clearly state in the new Curt controller manual not to place where it will get direct water. I agree that the connectors could be the factor for the issue. I eliminated them on mine then placed them all in a sealed pvc conduit box. I have 1000 miles some in rain and no problems.

I just wish I could get back the 4 hours spent in Orlando while on vacation when we were told by the dealer where we purchased it that they could look at it in 6 weeks. I had just bought it there 5 days before. After some begging they brought all the service guys out and they did not have a clue. They blamed it on the new tail lights and said they would have to be replaced. I brought up the controller because of this forum and they said that wasn't even a possibility....This would of destroyed my full paint option / sealant around them if they tried to replace my tail lights. Glad I fixed myself for $23 by replacing the controller when I returned home.

My valuable lesson from this is, it is best to investigate problems with help of this forum first and if at all possible fix yourself. Like it or not, you have to quickly become a RV technical expert when you have one.

That was last fall, the dealer told me they have a call in to FR and will let me know as soon as they hear something as they understood we were 1000 miles from home with no cab or rear lights. I will continue to wait by the phone for the call. Ha

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Old 04-04-2016, 07:40 AM   #18

Please don't hold your breath, I don't think purple is your color!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2016, 07:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysunseekermbs View Post
It does clearly state in the new Curt controller manual not to place where it will get direct water. I agree that the connectors could be the factor for the issue. I eliminated them on mine then placed them all in a sealed pvc conduit box. I have 1000 miles some in rain and no problems.
Wow. Doesn't speak well for your dealers abilities to troubleshoot an electrical problem. I like your solution. Everything bolted to that plate, and the two connectors should be in a waterproof box, OR, inside the RV. I'm considering the amount of work to just 'extend' the wiring to inside the rear storage in my 24R -vs- mounting a box underneath. I suspect mounting the box will be much less work and still be far superior to doing nothing with it and waiting for an issue.

<begin rant>
Honestly the factory tail-light electrical solution looks amateur - and that is a REALLY CRITICAL SYSTEM THAT YOU HAVE TO GET RIGHT !
</end rant>
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:03 AM   #20

Problem, sometimes the supply company's really sell a bill of goods because the sales man just doesn't know and wants the deal. Then everyone suffers.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Tags
controller, light