Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2016, 09:32 PM   #1

Dealers and Warranty Work

Hi Everyone. After I write this I am sure i will hear you should have bought local. Anyway I bought my 2016 Solera 24WSD in Ohio last June. I had been to my local Forest River dealer, was actually looking at Navions and Views but the salesperson showed my wife and I the W model and we loved it. The one they had on site had low battery issues from sitting, alarms going off etc. And I needed to sell my beloved 86 VW Westy (fully restored). So I went off for about 2 months and sold my VW and called to talk with the salesperson. He said he no longer worked there. I never got a follow up phone call from the dealer at any time after his leaving to see if I was still interested. I wasn't keen on the unit they had and it had been a few months anyway so it was probably gone. So I looked online found one without full paint that i liked and the options i wanted in stock. The Ohio dealer shot straight on their pricing, did not try to jerk me around so I bought from them.
The unit has been great. Driven it 4500 miles to date and about 10 or so camping trips in. I have been buying various RV items and parts and propane from my local dealer since. That is till I called to schedule an appointment to fix a few minor warranty items and to see if i needed some maintenance on slide room (it's huge), batteries etc that I would pay for. I was told promptly that since I did not buy it there that they would not do warranty work on my unit period. Unless maybe in November or December…. But they would be happy to do my PA state inspections etc. What do we still live in 1975? I would have been a great customer for their service and parts department. Now never again will i buy anything there. I guess they don't need new customers. My warranty will be up in June. I am going to be discussing this with Forest River but to say the least the RV business seems sleazy. And that is coming from someone who worked in the car business from 16 years old to 27 years old. And i have worked with industrial equipment dealers for the past 14 years. Never would i have told that to any potential customer. I can't imagine warranty pays that badly, that they would turn away a potential good customer for the long run.
There has to be better dealers than this out there. So lesson for today be careful what and whom you buy from. I am hoping there are a few more respective dealers in the Eastern part of PA. But not holding my breath. I may just take it back to the factory and have them do the work and make a camping trip out of it.
LoveLife7478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:47 PM   #2

We bought our TT about 3 hours from where we live. When it needed some warranty work, I contacted the only local RV dealership we have, a Camping World. They told us they would fix it under warranty but only after it "sat for months" waiting because we didn't buy it there. I asked to speak with the shop's manager and explained to them that we are in our early 30's so the chances of us never buying another RV again are very slim. The chances of us never buying an RV there were guaranteed if they refused to treat us fairly and with respect. They had us an appointment within a week.

Secondly, did you buy the second year warranty for $150? It says it has to be done within ten days of purchase but people have called FR directly and been allowed to purchase it months after the fact. That would at least give you another year to figure something out.

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:57 PM   #3

Hi Keis4G. Thanks for sharing, I am sure we aren't the only ones and many more probably have the same issues. Parts and service can be the biggest money maker at a dealer. Not sure why they have this feeling towards anyone, everybody knows sales does not keep the lights on and pay the profit. The back end of the business does that.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:17 PM   #4

Your experience with local dealers asked to do warranty work on a unit bought out of town is pretty much the norm and has been for years ... that being said, I too bought out of town. The factory approves warranty work, sometimes has a hand in how it will be fixed, and sometimes sets the labor estimate as well. Believe me, there is little to no money in warranty work ... there is money in regular RV repair. Dealerships are out for the almighty dollar and the dollar isn't so mighty on warranty work.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:31 PM   #5
Commercial Member

2nd year warranty is for trailers only. Not motorized

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #6

Yep. Sure see that now. They would have made money on me the first visit with some maintenance items along with the warranty work. And after June all of my work. We will see what Forest River says. Sounds like Forest River needs a better dealer agreement with some teeth in it to ensure their customers are taken care of no matter what. An MBS Solera is no cheap purchase. But then again I am glad the dealer showed their true colors now. Would never want to give them my Solera to work on with that attitude sales customer or not.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:39 PM   #7

Yeah, I had checked on that the second day I bought mine. Wouldn't be worth anything anyway in West Chester, PA
Old 03-01-2016, 04:54 AM   #8

For what it is worth. In my experience, you did the right thing going for purchase price and not buying local just for warranty work being a wonderful free experience.

We bought ours 1000 miles from home and saved $20,000. Our local dealer would let us roam for hours on the lot ignored us there and at the rv show. When we did talk to the salesman they only wanted to sell us the two that were on the lot at a inflated price. We were set on the W floor plan which they did not have.

After buying in orlando, we started having issues with the exterior lights staying on even when key was removed. I took it to the dealer we purchased 5 days later and they told me they could get me in to look at it in 5 weeks. Since we were heading home, I went to the sales manager and he had three guys from service come out and look at it. All of the theories on the problem contradicted was I was reading on this forum. I told them it sounds like the wiring harness and they said it can't be that.

After 3 hours I left, ordered the 20 part from Amazon and replaced myself when I returned home. I have learned from the experience that I am They cannot be experts on every model and everything they sell. By educating yourself about all aspects of the rv you own, you can be more knowledgeable than the guys who claim to be the experts.

If I have mbs problems it's going to Sprinter for service, I had a generator issue and took it to the cummins dealer myself. Had it back in 2 hours no charge under warranty and I noted all the Rvs there that were dropped off by the dealers. I am sure those people are waiting forever to get them back.

Just wanted to chime in and say if you had bought local they would give you the second round answer which is schedule the appointment for weeks away so don't second guess yourself.

2016 Sunseeker MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-01-2016, 06:51 AM   #9

"Warranty" no panacea

Last year we bought our Forester MBS - like many - from an out of town dealer. We too saved thousands over the full retail price we were quoted at a local Atlanta dealer. Another dealer near our residence in Florida was almost $10K more than the lowest price we received.

During our first long trip the generator failed while in Wisconsin. Coach Net was useless and the FR factory rep (who promised to get right back to us), called me three days later and told me to take the MH to "our selling dealer". The selling dealer is in Michigan, we live in Florida and Georgia.

Called the recommended FR south of Atlanta - "we won't do warranty work on your MH since you did not buy it from us". The other local dealer took one month to get an appointment, another month to fix one minor item (which they didn't fix correctly). I ended up doing the other items myself.

The factory warranty has now expired and I plan to fix everything that I can myself. I'll buy an extended warranty/service contract/insurance to cover breakdowns/towing on the road.

FR could enforce the warranty with their dealers if they chose to. Most of us don't have the time or inclination to drive back to Elkhart to get our MH fixed at the factory. And we shouldn't have to.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #10

Just because buy locally doesnt always mean good service . At Timberveiw RV Frankfort Il, , sales dept comes 1st , Paying custemers 2nd , then warranty
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:06 PM   #11

Smile

Sorry you are having issues, we do not understand FR's stand on this. I am with a dealer in OH and we had a MI couple coming through with electrical issues on a Sunseeker, we where more than happy to assist so they could continue their trip to FL. I wish more dealers would work with all customers for future business.
Make a short trip and come see us!
Ckarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLife7478 View Post
Hi Everyone. After I write this I am sure i will hear you should have bought local. Anyway I bought my 2016 Solera 24WSD in Ohio last June. I had been to my local Forest River dealer, was actually looking at Navions and Views but the salesperson showed my wife and I the W model and we loved it. The one they had on site had low battery issues from sitting, alarms going off etc. And I needed to sell my beloved 86 VW Westy (fully restored). So I went off for about 2 months and sold my VW and called to talk with the salesperson. He said he no longer worked there. I never got a follow up phone call from the dealer at any time after his leaving to see if I was still interested. I wasn't keen on the unit they had and it had been a few months anyway so it was probably gone. So I looked online found one without full paint that i liked and the options i wanted in stock. The Ohio dealer shot straight on their pricing, did not try to jerk me around so I bought from them.
The unit has been great. Driven it 4500 miles to date and about 10 or so camping trips in. I have been buying various RV items and parts and propane from my local dealer since. That is till I called to schedule an appointment to fix a few minor warranty items and to see if i needed some maintenance on slide room (it's huge), batteries etc that I would pay for. I was told promptly that since I did not buy it there that they would not do warranty work on my unit period. Unless maybe in November or December…. But they would be happy to do my PA state inspections etc. What do we still live in 1975? I would have been a great customer for their service and parts department. Now never again will i buy anything there. I guess they don't need new customers. My warranty will be up in June. I am going to be discussing this with Forest River but to say the least the RV business seems sleazy. And that is coming from someone who worked in the car business from 16 years old to 27 years old. And i have worked with industrial equipment dealers for the past 14 years. Never would i have told that to any potential customer. I can't imagine warranty pays that badly, that they would turn away a potential good customer for the long run.
There has to be better dealers than this out there. So lesson for today be careful what and whom you buy from. I am hoping there are a few more respective dealers in the Eastern part of PA. But not holding my breath. I may just take it back to the factory and have them do the work and make a camping trip out of it.

Think of it this way- with the thousands of dollars you saved, you can just pay out of pocket and STILL be WAY ahead over buying local. With this being said, you do realize that independent shops can do warranty work, right?
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:32 PM   #13

Sorry to hear about your problems. Warranty, repairs and service of any kind after the sale is the weakest part of this industry. I believe that we consumers must identify the bad and the good dealers we encounter. We need to send factual correspondence to FR management. We need to send letters to the industry organizations such as RIVA and let them know that in order to sustain industry growth; the dealer network must become more owner friendly. Going to a rally in Northern Indiana with 1,000 other owners should not be the only way to get repairs accomplished. Please make your voice be heard.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #14

Warranty work

This is the rule not the exception with forest river. To make a long story as short as possible, It took 2 months and several phone calls to the dealer and forest river to get very minor work done. What I told forest river is if I knew about this foram before I spent a little over $90,000 on my 2015 5th wheel, I would have run as fast as I could away from any forest river product. With any situation, there is always something to be learned from every situation. What I learned is----they called and wanted to sell me extended warranty, I'm not sure if they heard me laughing as I hung up the phone. And second thing I learned is-----while attending a RV show, I step around any dealer that sells forest river products as if there is dog "do-do" all around that area.
sam2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #15

The sorry part is when you visit a variety of manufacturers' forums and talk with owners at campgrounds the quality and especially the lack of service by the dealers appears to be, with very few exceptions, industry wide. Of course, most of us here are concerned with FR. I really hope forum participants continue to share info on good and bad dealers so we can patronize the good ones. Maybe the bad ones will wise up and start to perform like reputable merchants.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2424 View Post
This is the rule not the exception with forest river. To make a long story as short as possible, It took 2 months and several phone calls to the dealer and forest river to get very minor work done. What I told forest river is if I knew about this foram before I spent a little over $90,000 on my 2015 5th wheel, I would have run as fast as I could away from any forest river product. With any situation, there is always something to be learned from every situation. What I learned is----they called and wanted to sell me extended warranty, I'm not sure if they heard me laughing as I hung up the phone. And second thing I learned is-----while attending a RV show, I step around any dealer that sells forest river products as if there is dog "do-do" all around that area.
You do realize that most(if not all) other manufacturers have the same policy, right????? There is a Jayco dealer just down the road from me that refuses warranty work on trailers not bought there. So, you may be avoiding the Forest River "do-do", but you're stepping right into another manufacturers.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #17

I am having problems with my air conditioner, since Forest River did not manufacture the AC, I contacted a RV Service center that just does repairs, a very nice lady took my information on the unit, told me she would call me back and within 10 min. I received her call. She told me that the AC manufacture had given her the OK to repair my unit under warranty, she also told me when to bring the trailer to them.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckarns View Post
Sorry you are having issues, we do not understand FR's stand on this. I am with a dealer in OH and we had a MI couple coming through with electrical issues on a Sunseeker, we where more than happy to assist so they could continue their trip to FL. I wish more dealers would work with all customers for future business.
Ckarns - what dealer are you in Ohio ? I'm in Ohio and always looking for a good Forest River dealer. I know of one, but they are too far from me for any type of work, although I buy parts from them without any issues.
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Your experience with local dealers asked to do warranty work on a unit bought out of town is pretty much the norm and has been for years ... that being said, I too bought out of town. The factory approves warranty work, sometimes has a hand in how it will be fixed, and sometimes sets the labor estimate as well. Believe me, there is little to no money in warranty work ... there is money in regular RV repair. Dealerships are out for the almighty dollar and the dollar isn't so mighty on warranty work.
So that means if you are "out of warranty", you have a much better chance of getting a local dealer to work on your rig?
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckarns View Post
Hi Connie. You are my salesperson and you were straight with everything. Unfortunately if FR does not help me I may need to make the trip from Philly area to Dayton but I am going to weigh my options yet and will let you know.

Tags
dealer, warranty