Old 08-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bums View Post
After about our first 1200 miles, I decided it was time to get some DEF (I may have missed it, but could not find the consumption rate of DEF). We purchased it at a truck stop and the set up is how you explained...opposite side of the fill.... The hose was plenty long to reach. At 1200 miles....we added ~.8 of a gallon... Still not clear on the consumption rate.
Consumption rate is 1 part def to 50 parts fuel.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Consumption rate is 1 part def to 50 parts fuel.
Keep in mind if you are running a diesel generator it is not using DEF. That will screw up your "fuel to DEF" calculations if you are tracking by the fill up...

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:20 PM   #33

I'm glad my Ram 3500 has a DEF gauge in it in % remaiining in DEF tank. Doesn't seem to burn any DEF while not towing but when towing our 18,000 5er it drinks it fast like 1 gallon every 500 miles.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:15 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
I'm glad my Ram 3500 has a DEF gauge in it in % remaiining in DEF tank. Doesn't seem to burn any DEF while not towing but when towing our 18,000 5er it drinks it fast like 1 gallon every 500 miles.
Still 1:50 ratio. Towing increases fuel burn per mile, thus increasing def consumption for the miles traveled while towing, because of the lower fuel economy.

As to the diesel generator fuel use, it so small percentage wise when compared to total fuel used.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #35
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

FYI

What is the shelf life of DEF? A. Shelf life of DEF is a function of ambient storage temperature. Expectations for shelf life as defined by ISO Spec 22241-3, are the minimum expectations for shelf life when stored at constant temperatures. DEF will degrade in time depending on temperature and exposure to sun light. Stated shelf life is based on continuous exposure to heat and sunlight and continuous exposure is unlikely. If stored between 10 and 90 deg F, shelf life will easily be one year. If the maximum temperature does not exceed approximately 75 deg F for an extended period of time, the shelf life will be two years.