Old 09-07-2016, 03:07 PM   #1

Did we break our brake??? :)

OK, next question/problem: Is anyone else with an MBS 2401W having trouble getting their parking brake to engage consistently? While camping with our new RV this week, the parking brake engaged yesterday, all was well, and we set up complete with extending the slide. So today, I guess I got too fancy, and swivelled the cab seats around to face the house. Had to disengage parking brake to swivel driver's side seat, and now it won't re-engage. We have had this trouble from the first week we received it, and one time we could not get the slide back in if the parking brake was not re-engaged, so a little worried that might happen again this time in 2 days when we try to pack up to head for home.

Are we doing something wrong? Anyone else having this issue? And YES, at least we are parked on a flat surface and I have wheel chocks in place.

Thanks in advance, fellow Forum riders!

Kelly & Mary Beth
2017 Forester MBS 2401W

Old 09-07-2016, 03:59 PM   #2

Look at this as a possible cause. I'll assume the brake itself actuates, because it is cable driven. There is most likely an electrical driven interlock, that sends a signal when the emergency brake is engaged. You mentioned that the issue popped up when you swiveled the drivers seat, so, It would be a reasonable assumption, that there is some interference (electrical) happening, with the mechanical movement of the brake lever. I would start there.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdwallin View Post

Are we doing something wrong? Anyone else having this issue? And YES, at least we are parked on a flat surface and I have wheel chocks in place.

Thanks in advance, fellow Forum riders!

Kelly & Mary Beth
2017 Forester MBS 2401W
Did you read the manual on how to disengage the parking brake?
Are you doing it as instructed? If not, that may be the problem
Old 09-07-2016, 05:16 PM   #4
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

After you pulled the hand brake, did you push the handle down in order for the seat to turn? In that case, you may not have disengaged the brake, the handle is only lowered. To disengage it, you need to pull it up hard then release.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:30 PM   #5

It's a little quirky compared to the handbrake on the cars I've owned. In fact, it was something that they pointed out when we picked up our 2401R this Spring, and there's a sticker on the dash warning you to do it right. 35 years using a handbrake and now I have to think about it. I believe the trick is holding the button in and guiding it to the floor to get it to properly release. I haven't had a problem engaging it as long as I get the disengage right.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:35 PM   #6

The brake handle is designed so you can lower the handle by pushing it down without disengaging the brake. This allows you to then swing the seats around.

Just lift on the handle hard will pushing the brake release button will disengage the brake. I had a similar concern when I first got mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-07-2016, 05:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithe View Post
The brake handle is designed so you can lower the handle by pushing it down without disengaging the brake. This allows you to then swing the seats around.

Just lift on the handle hard will pushing the brake release button will disengage the brake. I had a similar concern when I first got mine.

X2
Old 09-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #8
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithe View Post

That's what I meant also - by design.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #9

You all are The Bomb. I suspect it is not actually disengaged, just lowered for the swivel, based on what you guys tell me. I will get back on this tomorrow and check it out ... In the meantime there is a spectacular sunset to watch!

Thanks again, everyone.

Kelly & Mary Beth
2017 Forester MBS 2401W