Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 11:16 PM   #1

Dometic A/C & heat pump

Second night out on our 2017 2400W Sunseeker, which we purchased in October. First night, heat pump kept us toasty in 55 degree weather and everything was fine. Second night, after driving about 200 miles, we turned the thermostat to heat pump in 55 degree weather. Pump came on, heat came up, then pump went to either just fan or cooling (not sure which). Now, every time the thermostat asks for heat, including if I have it set for furnace, the heat pump comes on and won't shut off. I have to trip the breaker to get it to shut off and let the furnace do its thing.
I'm thinking the problem is some sort of limit switch in the heat pump that will require warranty attention, but I'm looking for any other suggestions that will avoid us having to change our schedule.

Thanks!
Tall Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:57 AM   #2

Likely explanation

I have a 2015 Solera 'R' with Dometic heatpump - like you. When the furnace runs, the Dometic fan will run - making LOTS OF NOISE running both. I doubt the heatpump is also running. The solution is to throw the breaker to the A/C when you run the furnace - it will be a lot easier to live with.

If I had to order options, I'd pass on the heatpump, as the fan is noisy at night, and it's heat output drops off dramatically as you approach freezing. Compared to mini-split systems used in homes, it is not efficient - I'd rather run the furnace for heat, or plug-in 1-2 ceramic heaters if on shore power.

Hope that helps !
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:16 AM   #3

If you have a Dometic digital thermostat, put in on "auto" instead of low or high for fan speed, this might be the issue....
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:19 AM   #4

If your ac/heat pump is running when you have your furnace on it means your fan is not on auto. At the thermostat select fan. Now press the plus or minus key and scroll through options. You will see low, high and auto. You want to select auto. If you select low or high the fan will come on and stay on when your furnace runs. When you select auto the ac/heat pump fan will not come on when the furnace runs.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:34 PM   #5

I have the 17 MBS 2400W, and had similar issues. My problems originated with the digital thermostat. That fix didn't make it any quitter though.
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, pump