Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2017, 11:06 PM   #1

EGR failure

My EGR failed at 17500 miles on my Sprinter engine. It was replaced under warranty without issue, however, on a trip to Alaska for example, it could be major! My question; how common is this failure? Was mine a fluke? Appreciate any and all input. Tia
Tollypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:26 AM   #2
2012 Solera

We are at 90K miles now (including two Alaska trips). We have suffered two significant breakdowns.
At about 25K miles the turbo "ate" the compensator ring from the fresh air hose. Improper procedure during the 20K fuel filter service. Limped to a Freightliner service facility in Oklahoma City. They repaired in 24 hours (WOW! Great service). Eventually paid for by the shop that did the service's insurance, after filing in Small Claims Court - Mercedes America denied responsibility as the service was performed at a non-Mercedes shop.
At about 75K miles (as I remember) the Electronic Stability Processor failed. Towed to a Mercedes dealer in Sacramento. Rented a car and drove home. They fixed (under extended warranty) in about five calendar days (needed part from east coast).
Also had a glow plug fail - vehicle ran fine. Had repaired by Mercedes in Seattle, took about two hours while we waited, covered under emissions warranty.
Not as reliable as our Toyota Priuses or our Subaru, but not terrible. I am comfortable taking it on long trips in areas with minimal services.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:06 AM   #3

Have a look at the sprinter forum. I do not recall seeing anything about it. I read more about wheel and nox sensors. Just had my nox sensors replaced at 30k. Brake wear sensor crapped out to. Perhaps caused by road dirt
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:48 AM   #4

Egr clogging is seem to affect delivery vans more than RV s and is discussed in general Sprinter forums. These engines need to breath for the egr and dpf. No prolonged idling and some say "drive it like you stole it " to clear the dpf and egr.
I avoid idling parking and keep the engine rpm at over 2000 when driving rather than "flooring it"
The coach drops into 5 gear early which is great for highway cruising on flat roads but terrible for stop and go driving or driving under 50 mph. I usually drop the transmission to 4 if driving under 50 mph . The rpm will stay around 2200- 2400 rpm , thats about peak for torc on the engine. Much better hill climbing and stop and go driving. Just remember to switch back to D one you are out on the highway. Mileage will stay the same or better.
I can't prove that will avoid problems but that's how I drive it. I'm curious if others do the same.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.M View Post
Egr clogging is seem to affect delivery vans more than RV s and is discussed in general Sprinter forums. These engines need to breath for the egr and dpf. No prolonged idling and some say "drive it like you stole it " to clear the dpf and egr.
I avoid idling parking and keep the engine rpm at over 2000 when driving rather than "flooring it"
The coach drops into 5 gear early which is great for highway cruising on flat roads but terrible for stop and go driving or driving under 50 mph. I usually drop the transmission to 4 if driving under 50 mph . The rpm will stay around 2200- 2400 rpm , thats about peak for torc on the engine. Much better hill climbing and stop and go driving. Just remember to switch back to D one you are out on the highway. Mileage will stay the same or better.
I can't prove that will avoid problems but that's how I drive it. I'm curious if others do the same.

Since purchasing our 2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W in March 2016 we have covered about 27000 miles, half pulling our Chevrolet Spark toad. From the start I have been using a ScanGuage 2 to monitor the engine “load”, and, like you, keep the RPM’s in the peak HP area of 2800-3000 when climbing hills. With the toad on moderate hills this means 4th gear between 55-60 mph. On steeper climbs, 3rd at about 45. Recently in Arkansas and South Eastern Oklahoma, 10% grades got us down to 2nd @ 25-30 mph. Per a lot of “wisdom” from the Sprinter Forum, we avoid prolonged engine idling. So far we have been blessed with perfect service from the Beast.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 01-10-2018, 07:45 PM   #6

We bought a used '09 Fleetwood Icon with 10,500 miles on it...based on the '08 Sprinter 3500 chassis.

Right from the get-go, the Sprinter would occasionally spastically lurch and then continue normally. Eventually, the Sprinter just went into limp mode.

It was diagnosed as an EGR valve. The EGR valve was so seized that MB service actually had to break it off ! They said that they've never seen one that bad ??? At such low mileage ??? What ? Rather, I believe that they are all pretty bad. Cost over $1000 CDN to repair.

Since then, at each oil change, I remove the EGR valve and clean it thoroughly with carburetor cleaner and a toothbrush. There's quite a bit of caked on soot.
chaching is offline   Reply With Quote