Old 06-26-2016, 07:33 PM   #1

Electric step blowing fuses

My 2016 2400R is blowing fuse number 5 for the electric step on a constant bases. I took it in for warranty work and the dealer said the assembly just needed to be cleaned, well it blew the fuse again the day after I got it back. I did notice that the fuse has blown both when extended and when retracted, also noticed that the step light worked for a couple of nights when the step was locked out. I saw the step light come on for a couple of nights and then noticed that the light was no longer coming on when the door was opened. Checked the fuse and it was blown, bringing the RV back to the dealer tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone else is having or had the same problem?

Old 06-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #2

have not had that problem yet but I would look under it to see if any wiring is compromised or maybe something bad in the light. You can bet the dealership didn't do anything to it because it was working when you brought it to them.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:28 PM   #3

I would bet on the control module.

the module is designed to stop the motion of the steps once it senses excessive current draw which happens when the steps reach their limit or hit a curb.

If the module does not cut off the current to the motor the excessive current will then blow the fuse.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #4

Pull the bulb in the light and replace it or leave it out. As an electrician I have seen several times an incandescent bulb short out when the filament blows. The two opposing wires that once held the filament in place sag and touch and create a direct short and blow a fuse. Something to think about.

2015 Forester 2401R MBS
Old 06-27-2016, 01:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAm326 View Post
My 2016 2400R is blowing fuse number 5 for the electric step on a constant bases. I took it in for warranty work and the dealer said the assembly just needed to be cleaned, well it blew the fuse again the day after I got it back. I did notice that the fuse has blown both when extended and when retracted, also noticed that the step light worked for a couple of nights when the step was locked out. I saw the step light come on for a couple of nights and then noticed that the light was no longer coming on when the door was opened. Checked the fuse and it was blown, bringing the RV back to the dealer tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone else is having or had the same problem?
Sounds like your light is operating correctly. Door open/light on, door closed/light off. If the door is left open for about 5 minutes the light will go off. That #5 fuse, must be the 5amp fuse because the step power fuse is a 25amp and they wouldn't extend or retract if blown? That 5amp fuse supplies 12volts thru the step power switch to the control module. I think it also is the step power switch on/off light power if so equipped. If so the switch light should also be inop. If the steps are KWIKEE the steps will not stay out when the door is closed without that 12volt input. If LIPPERT steps they will stay out without that 12volts but won't retract with switch on and door closed.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAm326 View Post
Do this; document all fuse blown failures in writing( date, etc.). Then, return to your dealer and explain to them it is now a safty hazard (i.e. possible extended step while underway). Now the bad news, they hopefully will get permission from FR to order in news parts, and or step. But, since it is Summer repair season, expect to leave it for several days and or weeks, while it gets in their. service rotation.
Or, get in their and turn some wrenches. If your somewhat mechanically inclined, you will see that the bolt connections that pivot the steps movement, are either to tight, or the shaft with the two swivel ball ends is not adjusted properly. So, if you choose the latter, disconnect the shaft and check for free movement of the steps. If you detect binding, (i.e. resistance in movement), it is your bolt pivot connections. If not, then it is your actuating arm (ball end piece ). If neither, then the other posters mention of a faulty controller is the culprit.
And, if you think your dealer service department knows this process, I think you already found the answer to that!
Old 06-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Do this; document all fuse blown failures in writing( date, etc.). Then, return to your dealer and explain to them it is now a safty hazard (i.e. possible extended step while underway). Now the bad news, they hopefully will get permission from FR to order in news parts, and or step. But, since it is Summer repair season, expect to leave it for several days and or weeks, while it gets in their. service rotation.
Or, get in their and turn some wrenches. If your somewhat mechanically inclined, you will see that the bolt connections that pivot the steps movement, are either to tight, or the shaft with the two swivel ball ends is not adjusted properly. So, if you choose the latter, disconnect the shaft and check for free movement of the steps. If you detect binding, (i.e. resistance in movement), it is your bolt pivot connections. If not, then it is your actuating arm (ball end piece ). If neither, then the other posters mention of a faulty controller is the culprit.
And, if you think your dealer service department knows this process, I think you already found the answer to that!
If indeed it is the 5amp fuse that blows then wrench actions will do no good because that particular fuse only sets the logic for step actions within the controller. The power fuse is a 25 amp fuse and if that was the one blowing your suggestion with the wrenches might be applicable. JMO
Old 06-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #8

Mine never blew fuses but failed completely. Upon disassembly found the main pivot shoulder bolt was sheared off. The bolt is supposed to be tack welded in from the back so it can't come loose. I can only assume that mine wasn't which allowed it to work loose to the point it jammed and motor sheared the bolt. Check that one too while you are wrenching.

As others have said. Disconnect chassis battery when playing with the step.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousin01 View Post
Mine never blew fuses but failed completely. Upon disassembly found the main pivot shoulder bolt was sheared off. The bolt is supposed to be tack welded in from the back so it can't come loose. I can only assume that mine wasn't which allowed it to work loose to the point it jammed and motor sheared the bolt. Check that one too while you are wrenching.

As others have said. Disconnect chassis battery when playing with the step.
Sounds like your unit has the infamous Lippert steps with the notorious shoulder bolt breaking issue which no longer are being manufactured. Lippert bought Kwikee and those, (Kwikee steps) I believe, are the steps that the OP has installed in his unit. No shoulder bolt issues.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
If indeed it is the 5amp fuse that blows then wrench actions will do no good because that particular fuse only sets the logic for step actions within the controller. The power fuse is a 25 amp fuse and if that was the one blowing your suggestion with the wrenches might be applicable. JMO
The wrenches method worked in my case. I never had blown fuse issue, rather the controller would shut the stair actuation down, because it sensed the binding of too tight bolts in the pivot connections. By me disconnecting the ball swivel rod, it was evident the bolts at the pivot points were too tight from the factory.

Tags
electric, fuse