Old 02-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #11

That was my thinking. Once the rig was running, no further need for the connection to be live. Bob, you took power from the BCC fuse block? Did you disassemble the panel to install? Can you post a schematic and photos please? So you would power the coloured wire and run the other to ground?

backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:17 AM   #12

The wires are already there. The missing fuse (F-1) powers up the circuit. You can also just jump the ES terminal to the coach battery connection on the isolator manually. About 15 seconds after the coach starts, you can hear the isolator power up thus, charge all the batteries.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoctor View Post
That was my thinking. Once the rig was running, no further need for the connection to be live. Bob, you took power from the BCC fuse block? Did you disassemble the panel to install? Can you post a schematic and photos please? So you would power the coloured wire and run the other to ground?
Yes, switch should be momentary. Actuate for start and then release. Switch can be any type (rocker/press/toggle etc.).
Old 09-20-2017, 08:46 PM   #14

I found this thread after going into the battery control center to check out what was in there, and I realize it is quite an old thread. I found the emergency start circuit almost completely wired up. I did not know about the two wires underneath...I'll have to check that out.

What I understand from what I've read is that I have to find the tan and the gray pigtail underneath the motorhome; I have already found the wire loom, I just haven't opened it. To these two wires I need to run them to wherever and connect them to a 12vdc momentary switch. Also a fuse or circuit breaker needs to be installed in the appropriate spot in the fuseblock. What size fuse/circuit breaker would be recommended in the circuit?

Is this correct????
Old 09-20-2017, 09:16 PM   #15

Mostly. There is already a fuse location in the block of the BCC so you just need to add a 10 amp fuse to make it safe. The wires are in a black bundle under the area beside the step. There's not a lot of space to work in. You'll need to use a shrinkwrap to protect the connections.

I used a static switch instead of a momentary one, so I could switch the solenoid on when I'm driving and charge the coach batteries if they are at 80% or above. Normally the BCC won't close the solenoid to connect the systems to charge the house batteries unless they are below 80%.

Eric Jackson of the frozen North
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:17 PM   #16

Thank you. I've got heat shrink and everything I need to do the job, except for the switch. I ordered a resetable 10 anp circuit breaker. Now to go ID those pigtails....
Old 09-21-2017, 10:42 PM   #17

If your BCC is like the Georgetown BCC a wire to a momentary switch common terminal is spliced to the pigtail from the BCC fuse and from the switch N.O. terminal a wire is routed back to the BCC and spliced into the other pigtail. In other words the switch is wired in series with the pigtails to the previous mentioned terminals. The switch supplies 12 volts to the interconnect relay within the BCC to tie the coach and chassis batteries together.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:44 PM   #18

That makes sense. I just need to go look for that wiring...

Thank you!
Old 09-22-2017, 07:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoctor View Post
Mostly. There is already a fuse location in the block of the BCC so you just need to add a 10 amp fuse to make it safe. The wires are in a black bundle under the area beside the step. There's not a lot of space to work in. You'll need to use a shrinkwrap to protect the connections.

I used a static switch instead of a momentary one, so I could switch the solenoid on when I'm driving and charge the coach batteries if they are at 80% or above. Normally the BCC won't close the solenoid to connect the systems to charge the house batteries unless they are below 80%.

Eric Jackson of the frozen North
I may be completely wrong here but I believe the chassis battery has priority for the charging of both coach and chassis batteries when the engine is running not the coach battery above 80%. I think the chassis battery has to be above 13 volts to trigger an interconnect relay paralleling the coach and chassis batteries. If the chassis battery voltage falls below about 12.5 volts the interconnect relay will de-energize. I think just the opposite is true for the batteries if connected to shore power. You diesel guys are a different breed from us gas guys but the BCC functions may be the same, or not. Oh well just a thought. I am on uncharted waters.