Old 06-10-2017, 09:12 AM   #1

Engine Service Notes - 20,000 Miles (or so)

My 24R is getting close to 3 years old and has about 18,000 miles on it. I'm about to head out for an extended time, so I decided to do my engine service (due at about 20,000 miles) rather than have to track a service facility down while I'm on the road.

I did my own oil change a year ago, at about 9,000 miles and had the oil tested at Blackstone Labs at that time. I had the oil tested again now and everything looks good, though there's a bit more nickle than expected - Blackstone thinks it might be continuing break in, and it's not high enough to do anything but keep an eye on it. One thing of note, given everyone's concern about bio-diesel resulting in blow by and fuel in the oil, is that they found no sign of fuel...and I just buy whatever fuel happens to be available when I pull up to the pump.

Since the 20,000 mile service includes replacing the fuel filter...and since there's a non-trivial risk of blowing up your turbocharger if you screw it up...I decided to have it done at the local dealer (Tucson MB). I also asked about their price for an oil change and, at about $145, it seemed pretty reasonable. Little did I know that the fuel filter was going to total out at about $300! (Something like 50/50 between parts and labor - I have the "5 pin" filter which is more expensive than the "3 pin" filter. Who knew?)

They also updated the software. Not sure if there were any other changes to it, but main one was a change to the initial introduction of DEX into the exhaust (they're waiting longer for the DEX pre-heat before beginning to inject.) This change is supposed to (they hope?) reduce the incidence of NOX sensor failures that several folks have experienced...

They also checked on a crank position sensor issue I had last year and decided they needed to replace the sensor (under warranty). But they didn't have one in stock, so I have to take it back in next week.

All in all I thought that MB of Tucson did a good job, though I do think the fuel filter labor was a bit pricey. The charge for that was about $150 and I'm not sure that they worked on the unit for much more than a hour for everything that was done.

Dave

Old 06-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #2

It's not real easy

I did the fuel filter replacement at our first oil change at one year and it's not a trivial task. You need the special pliers for the click type hose clamps and there is quite a bit to remove just to get to the filter. I have a neighbor who is an MB tech and he did provide some guidance when I struggled with the turbo air inlet removal (pull real hard he said).

Now that I have the proper tools and a little experience, I will do it again without any hesitation. Yes, you do have to be careful with the turbo seal ring.

Having said all that, I don't think you overpaid to have MB do the replacement.

KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:57 AM   #3

"Yes, you do have to be careful with the turbo seal ring."

Check the parts bill to be sure they replaced the seal.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
Senior

As we were passing trough Tuscan a few weeks ago I had my first MB service at Tuscan MB. I had noticed the differential was leaking and asked them to check it. When I came to pick it up they claimed that I hit something that caused the leak. Since the differential cover is in the rear I could not recall driving over anything to cause the damage so I asked to see what they found. It turned out that someone jacked up the rear with a floor Jack and bent the cover. They had the parts overnighted and Installed the next day. The bill for that alone came to verify $300 which I paid. Later I looked at the bill and found it was charged $228 for labor. Since they only have to remove and replace 10 bolts that hold the cover on I thought it was unreasonable but also thought it would be futile to argue about it since I was leaving town and live in Colorado. I think it should take 1/2 hour to remove the bent cover, scrape the remains of the gasket off, install the new cover,gasket & bolts, and fill with fluid.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
"Yes, you do have to be careful with the turbo seal ring."

Check the parts bill to be sure they replaced the seal.
My parts bill did not include a new seal.

I believe the current MB service procedure includes a detailed check of the seal and calls for replacement depending on the state of the seal. I'm pretty sure that the procedure no longer calls for automatic replacement.

Dave
Old 06-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
My parts bill did not include a new seal.

I believe the current MB service procedure includes a detailed check of the seal and calls for replacement depending on the state of the seal. I'm pretty sure that the procedure no longer calls for automatic replacement.

Dave

Our MB Sprinter certified shop said they don't necessarily replace the seal, only if needed.

Since we live in a biodiesel state, we'll be doing the fuel filter at each oil change rather than every one just for that added measure of protection. Even though we have not seen any issues yet.

After 1-1/2 years and 12,000 miles including two three week trips and one four week trip, including plenty of mountain driving, we have never needed to add any oil, nor have we seen the oil level rise at all due to blow-by.

We have done a number of shorter trips within the state but most of the distance has been in non-biodiesel states.

Tags
service