Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2017, 09:39 PM   #1

Exterior Wall insulation

I was hanging a towel bar on the outside bathroom wall and found it interesting that when I drilled the hole the only thing behind the interior wall board was AIR.
I went back to the brochure just to make sure I had not misread the specs and sure enough it says that there is supposed to be block insulation.
Who has drilled in to the exterior wall and what have you found?
Beachsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:55 PM   #2

Not sure about the walls but I replaced my antenna the other day and the ceiling has white styrofoam.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:04 PM   #3

I swapped out a vent and also found styrofoam with channels for ac air flow in the ceiling. That's why I was surprised to not find it in the wall.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:59 AM   #4

I'm in the process of installing solar, and behind the cupboard drawers we're they installed the exterior plugs you can see the styrofoam in the walls.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170419_095816.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	136040
gmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachsailor View Post
I swapped out a vent and also found styrofoam with channels for ac air flow in the ceiling. That's why I was surprised to not find it in the wall.
If your talking about the walls exposed to weather, you should have styrofoam, they are pressed together as one section, now any wall that is interior like the bathroom interior walls then no. There are some exceptions. behind my shower surround on the outside wall there is a channel that has not been insulated do to that is where they ran water lines and my black tank anti back flow valve is located in that area. Also there is zip insulation under my front cap.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:50 AM   #6

I could see them leaving out a piece of foam, or cutting it short in the lamination process. Especially when you take into account all the other
meticulous care and craftsmanship taken when building these things.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #7

This was an exterior wall. Come to think of it when I pulled the access pane off behind the TV, there was no insulation in the front trekker cap. Just bare fiberglass.

Tags
exterior, insulation