Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 78
Fan running beside the fuse box that is above the refrigerator.

We are new to this and we have only had the RV 6 weeks. I have never heard the fan running that is located above the refrigerator and beside the fuse panel. We turned our LP gas off a couple of weeks ago when we put the RV in storage. We got the RV out to get ready to go on a short trip. We plugged into electric and the fan started running. Can't recall that ever happening. Just wondering what triggers that fan to run and why did it just start? Should it run all the time? We are a bit scared to leave it plugged in all night as we are not sure why it just started running. Thanks in advance!
__________________

sunseeker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:01 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
herbike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: On the move
Posts: 402
Could be your converter, most have a cooling fan and if you had let your TT set long enough the batteries were low. It could be that the converter got warm enough to kick on it's cooling fan. If that's where your converter is located next to your fuse panel.

Would be best to leave it plugged in all night to charge the batteries up before you leave camping.
__________________

__________________
Days camped in 15-180 days-16-95 days
17--114 days-18-71-days
19-32

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave, New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,TV-2015 LTZ Duramax with over 151,000 miles, with delete done, 2014 Polaris RZR 800 EPS/ 9800 miles
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:20 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ozark, MO
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunseeker56 View Post
We are new to this and we have only had the RV 6 weeks. I have never heard the fan running that is located above the refrigerator and beside the fuse panel. We turned our LP gas off a couple of weeks ago when we put the RV in storage. We got the RV out to get ready to go on a short trip. We plugged into electric and the fan started running. Can't recall that ever happening. Just wondering what triggers that fan to run and why did it just start? Should it run all the time? We are a bit scared to leave it plugged in all night as we are not sure why it just started running. Thanks in advance!
You don't say which Sprinter floor plan you have, but it sounds like the converter is charging your batteries (converters are in differing locations, depending on the model). This is normal. Leave it plugged in. However, do make sure when you store it, even for a short time, to turn OFF the main power switch, which should be located in the entry stairwell at the battery control center.
__________________
Mark & Susan
2016 Forester MBS 2401WS
Wrangler Toad
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 205
Our converter fan will spin up if the battery is low. In many RVs the smoke detector is hard wired to the battery and so is a constant drain. Also, batteries will self discharge over time. Even if you have a battery disconnect switch, check to see if the (and perhaps rewire) smoke detector is indeed connected directly to power.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:29 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
You don't say which Sprinter floor plan you have, but it sounds like the converter is charging your batteries (converters are in differing locations, depending on the model). This is normal. Leave it plugged in. However, do make sure when you store it, even for a short time, to turn OFF the main power switch, which should be located in the entry stairwell at the battery control center.


Oh, thanks!!! Did not know we had anything else to turn off! Thanks!
sunseeker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:30 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnlorrie View Post
Our converter fan will spin up if the battery is low. In many RVs the smoke detector is hard wired to the battery and so is a constant drain. Also, batteries will self discharge over time. Even if you have a battery disconnect switch, check to see if the (and perhaps rewire) smoke detector is indeed connected directly to power.


Thanks! Will look into that!!
sunseeker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:34 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 78
Fan running beside the fuse box that is above the refrigerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbike View Post
Could be your converter, most have a cooling fan and if you had let your TT set long enough the batteries were low. It could be that the converter got warm enough to kick on it's cooling fan. If that's where your converter is located next to your fuse panel.



Would be best to leave it plugged in all night to charge the batteries up before you leave camping.


Thanks! We just went out and checked it again and it isn't running as loudly as it first did when we plugged RV into power. Also, just read another post that we should turn the main battery power off which we did not know. Wish there were a step by step, shut down manual on these units.
sunseeker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:19 PM   #8
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 19,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunseeker56 View Post
Thanks! We just went out and checked it again and it isn't running as loudly as it first did when we plugged RV into power. Also, just read another post that we should turn the main battery power off which we did not know. Wish there were a step by step, shut down manual on these units.
A good dealer would have gone over this with you, during the PDI.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:37 AM   #9
Member
 
droadrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 52
Dynamax Rev house batteries won't charge with main power switch turned off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
You don't say which Sprinter floor plan you have, but it sounds like the converter is charging your batteries (converters are in differing locations, depending on the model). This is normal. Leave it plugged in. However, do make sure when you store it, even for a short time, to turn OFF the main power switch, which should be located in the entry stairwell at the battery control center.
On my 17 Dynamax Rev, the coach power switch must be left ON for the house batteries to charge or be maintained while plugged into AC. Not sure why I would want to turn the main power switch off during storage while plugged into AC since there will continue to be a slow battery discharge occurring.
droadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:43 AM   #10
Member
 
droadrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 52
Sorry I misread the original post. Definitely turn OFF main power when not connected to AC during storage!
droadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:39 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ozark, MO
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by droadrunner View Post
Sorry I misread the original post. Definitely turn OFF main power when not connected to AC during storage!
Be advised, there will still be a parasitic drain in the system even with the switch off. My multimeter reads a draw of .4 amps with the switch off. This is normal, at least I am told that is the case. For long term storage it's best to unhook the batteries under the entry steps or to install a quick disconnect. Your chassis battery will also have a parasitic draw.
__________________
Mark & Susan
2016 Forester MBS 2401WS
Wrangler Toad
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:27 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 4,517
Converter fans will run at different speeds depending on the load from the converter. High demand...fan will run faster, Low demand...fan will run slow or off.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:30 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
You don't say which Sprinter floor plan you have, but it sounds like the converter is charging your batteries (converters are in differing locations, depending on the model). This is normal. Leave it plugged in. However, do make sure when you store it, even for a short time, to turn OFF the main power switch, which should be located in the entry stairwell at the battery control center.


Thanks!!
sunseeker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:31 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
Be advised, there will still be a parasitic drain in the system even with the switch off. My multimeter reads a draw of .4 amps with the switch off. This is normal, at least I am told that is the case. For long term storage it's best to unhook the batteries under the entry steps or to install a quick disconnect. Your chassis battery will also have a parasitic draw.

Ok, thanks! Good advice!
sunseeker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:33 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by droadrunner View Post
Sorry I misread the original post. Definitely turn OFF main power when not connected to AC during storage!


Thanks!
__________________

sunseeker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fan, fuse, refrigerator

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 PM.


×