Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2018, 07:11 PM   #1

Fog lights

Anyone installed fog lights or led driving lights in the blank holes on the sprinter motor home . What did you use.? How was the install.
Thanks.
Petersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #2

I was told on my 2016R that they couldn’t do it because of the DEF tank.

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:19 AM   #3

I recently upgraded my low-beam headlights with great satisfaction, but remain very interested in this topic as well. I assume we're talking about the same type of bumper configuration shown in the photographs below. Although it might be easier to add an after-market fog-light assembly to the bumper step or another location (which I think others have posted about), I particularly prefer the idea of using the existing fog-light OEM design location. I don't think the DEF tank location should be an issue, but it does appears that bumper removal may be necessary to complete this task. Underneath, the front bumper seems to extends for some distance back making access to the fog-light mounting area impossible without removing the bumper. It's currently difficult to determine if the fog-light mount is a knock-out or requires cut-out, or if the Sprinter is prewired for fog lights. However, if it is prewired, then it seems that the headlight switch may also need replacement, or new wiring might connect to a dash toggle. Hopefully someone will post more details about this upgrade. Or photographs and details of the bumper assembly and removal process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180112_123951.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	384.6 KB
ID:	162811   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171219_155752.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	162812  
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #4

Good luck with that!

I did a google search for "add fog lights to sprinter front bumper" and got lots of hits. It appears that MB has (at least) two different bumpers - one with all the mounting brackets and such for fog lights and ours ... with no brackets. So, you might be able to cut out the bumper blanks where the fog lights go, but you'd still need to figure out a way to actually mount them. (One guy has a 5 minute video on the custom bracket he built...)

Then there's another company which will sell you a whole new (custom) front bumper...fog lights optional for more $$$.

And I'm still not sure about the DEF tank!

Dave
Old 02-20-2018, 08:18 PM   #5

My headlight switch has the provision for fog lights built in. Pull out on it and a fog light symbol lights up. I haven't taken the bumper off to see if there is wiring to where the fog lights would be. It does look like the DEF tank would be really close.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_6100.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	162966  
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
My headlight switch has the provision for fog lights built in. Pull out on it and a fog light symbol lights up. ... ....
My switch has that symbol also, but I never tried to pull it before. Thanks for post this ... I now see that my switch does the same thing. Wow! The things I learn here. This suggests that the wiring may already be there ... hope so.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:06 PM   #7

Not sure about your vehicle but most newer vehicles will require the vehicle computer to have the fog light accessory turned on by the dealer. Something you might want to look into....???
keegantimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:18 PM   #8

I found the following while searching on the web. Thought folks might find this useful. You can easily change the menu to another Mercedes vehicle.

Body/Bumper & Components - Front for 2015 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 3500
Old 02-26-2018, 07:41 PM   #9

Following.
sunseeker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:26 AM   #10
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
Good luck with that!

I did a google search for "add fog lights to sprinter front bumper" and got lots of hits. It appears that MB has (at least) two different bumpers - one with all the mounting brackets and such for fog lights and ours ... with no brackets. So, you might be able to cut out the bumper blanks where the fog lights go, but you'd still need to figure out a way to actually mount them. (One guy has a 5 minute video on the custom bracket he built...)

Then there's another company which will sell you a whole new (custom) front bumper...fog lights optional for more $$$.

And I'm still not sure about the DEF tank!

Dave

My husband has our 2016 MBS in a shop now having Rigid fog lights and a driving light installed. They have to make brackets etc. The bumper that came on ours has a fog light turn on switch like that Dynamax picture and useless fog light blanks on the bumper. No wiring there, no brackets according to DH. We got the wrong bumper. The shop is going to put switches inside to run these.

My husband has installed lots of fog lights but he says there is just nothing standard to which to attach these. He and a friend crawled around under there for 1/2 a day and said it was too complicated for our shop set up do this kind of bracket engineering. I can't wait to see it.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:17 PM   #11
oreddie

Switch Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
My headlight switch has the provision for fog lights built in. Pull out on it and a fog light symbol lights up. I haven't taken the bumper off to see if there is wiring to where the fog lights would be. It does look like the DEF tank would be really close.
On my Mercedes M Class SUV that switch position (headlights on, pull switch out) brightens tail lights (to reduce risk of a rear end collision in low visibility situations). My FR 2401 is in storage so I can't confirm it does the same on it.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREddie View Post
On my Mercedes M Class SUV that switch position (headlights on, pull switch out) brightens tail lights (to reduce risk of a rear end collision in low visibility situations). My FR 2401 is in storage so I can't confirm it does the same on it.

That would be nice if that was the case on our motorhomes! Does your light switch have the same symbol illuminate when the switch is pulled out?
Old 03-02-2018, 04:57 PM   #13
oreddie

Yes. It looks exactly the same. I'll be visiting RoVer this weekend. She's all covered up but I think I can lift enough of the cover to see what happens when I activate the switch as described.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #14

Just tried it , no change in rear light brightness.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:32 PM   #15

Just tried mine too. No change.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:30 AM   #16

Not factory taillights

Given that the taillights on our MH are installed by FR and powered through the various brands of controllers, it's not surprising that the fog light switch has no effect. It's also possible that like the xenon headlights, which have to be programmed if/when installed, that you might also have to program the computer (I assume it's the CAN bus) if you add fog lights. Just a guess on both counts.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:27 AM   #17

The rear fog lamp is an additional blub on the Sprinter vans that the FR RVs don't have. The switch is capable, but not the rest of the vehicle.

The front bumper cover for fog light equipped 2013 Sprinters is quite different then the FR used chassis. If you have a newer chassis with the bumper cover shown in the attached photo, you might be able to install front fog lamps without much difficulty.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3-4-2018 9-37-40 AM.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	164140  
Old 03-04-2018, 07:12 PM   #18
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We got our MH back from the shop, they put in our fog lights and driving light like my husband wanted them, on the front step. There’s still room to stand on the step. The built in blanks were apparently prohibitively expensive to use. The bumper did have to come completely off. They did a great job inside and out.
Another shop wanted to use a bull bar but that’s extra weight and even more expensive that what we have now.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
We got our MH back from the shop, they put in our fog lights and driving light like my husband wanted them, on the front step. There’s still room to stand on the step. The built in blanks were apparently prohibitively expensive to use. The bumper did have to come completely off. They did a great job inside and out.
Another shop wanted to use a bull bar but that’s extra weight and even more expensive that what we have now.

Do you have pictures
DBTSolera24R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #20
Sunseeker 2400MBW

No. I will take some however, they did a really nice job.

Poor MH is back in the shop. On cleaning the MH we discovered a big rip in the wiper seal on top of slide out.
It seems a large glob of glue got on the bubble seal behind the wiper seal and opening the slide, the wiper seal ripped away. Confused yet? It was in the middle of this wide slide under the slide topper and we never noticed til the other day, I was up on the ladder inspecting and cleaning after taking the winter cover off. So it’s all getting replaced. I really think this happened while when it was made, at the factory, and because we never noticed, now it’s out of warranty and we’re paying for it. I want to report it to FR but my husband says they will laugh at us.

All this to say I will be happy to take some pictures of the fog lights. Next chance.

Tags
light