Old 03-01-2016, 10:12 PM   #41

FR Quality

Pull out and remove all the drawers, carefully examine the fixtures and plumbing, check connections, examine individual components....result? ... Cheap parts, sloppy fabrication and installation. No excuses. And the entire industry builds these things the same way.

Barker 3500 Tongue Jack
DW & a feisty Border Terrier named Painter
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:42 PM   #42

I just bought my third camper last week. I agree that some of the defects that make it out the door are just complete lack of caring by the build team followed by no QC. Some items/hardware are low quality to keep the cost down. Bottom line if a had $50K to spend an a 35ft TT there are some better builders out there. For my budget, I know what to expect and hope the dealer is helpful in some of the larger defects. (Loose screws/staples in trim I'll fix myself.)
After lengthy PDI everything was address when we picked our new one up. Since then I have been all over this thing and have only three items I will need the dealer to address, 2 cosmetic, one electrical.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:02 PM   #43

In 2014, when we were looking at new TTs, I was really disappointed with the fit & finish of the new units... One unit, same as ours, was leaking badly during heavy rains even though the salesperson checked to see that all windows & vents were shut...

Fortunately they had a used 2011 on the lot in like-new condition and since the new units were on sale, the used unit was discounted accordingly. The 2011 was just prior to the RV Boom so I figure the folks who built it were the ones who were good-enough to keep their jobs during the recession...

We have now camped for 2 seasons without any serious issues. Meanwhile, friends who bought new spent their first 2 seasons having warranty work done. One friend has logged countless hours on the phone with both FR & the dealership doing warranty work. Although he got them to extend his warranty until everything is fixed, he is now entering the 3rd year of ownership with unresolved issues...

At some time we will likely upgrade to a MH but will not buy new (from FR) unless they resolve Q&C issues - especially since the next purchase will likely be $75K+ vs. $20K...
2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:11 PM   #44

MH for 75k???? New????
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:10 AM   #45

So, the OP speaks of all the different brands and the same floor plan with 4 different names, etc... etc... Why do you think it's that way? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just have one brand with that floor plan? Why so many manufacturers under one corporate umbrella? Why so many lines in each one? It's all marketing. They can't have 2 dealers in most towns selling the same product... so they dream up another brand with a stupid name and change the appearance just ever so slightly..... and sell it to the dealer next door. Then they come up with yet another stupid name... give it a few more amenities and gloss it up a touch, and sell it to the dealership across the street. And so on... and so on... and so on... This is not the consumer's fault, but it does become his problem, because the quality just isn't there. The sales teams are competing with each other, but not the build teams. They're turning out the same stuff with different graphics inside and out. Until there is some real quality competition, like the automobile industry faced, it will not change. If you buy one of these things, you need to either have deep pockets and a lot of patience, or be handy enough to fix it yourself... because it will not be built worth a damn.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:23 AM   #46
jkoenig24

Quality Control AT THE FACTORY greatly needs to be improved. It HAS to cost any manufacturer far more to correct an issue after a unit has left the factory. I passed on a $400,000 Itasca Ellipse when, during my walk through, I noticed VERY poor assembly on a simple kitchen cabinet drawer. If something so basic was done so poorly, how could I trust that items important safety had been handled properly? The defect I noticed was actually FOUR failures: 1) the "Craftsman" who assembled the drawer did a poor job; 2) the person who took that bad drawer failed to notice that it was not properly built when he installed it into the cabinet ; 3) the factory Final QC check missed a glaring fault and 4: the dealer failed to catch it before showing the unit (and lost at least one sale). My poor impression of Winnebago / Itasca resulted in dropping them from consideration.

IT HAS TO BE DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2016, 07:26 AM   #47

This is an interesting thread. I have followed this forum for a while. Members posting proudly how they travelled 500 miles to another dealer to save a few dollars. How their generators though not quite as good cost half as much as their neighbors.
Forest River is a mid range supplier. Undoutedbly not the elite, but not the dregs either.
Just like we have to do in our personal lives, there has to be a balance struck between quality and cost. All it takes is money, but I have a feeling the complaining would then be about the color of the fabric or the frill on the canopy.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #48

in other words we just have to have something to bitch about, no truth to the quality problem,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Wilson View Post
This is an interesting thread. I have followed this forum for a while. Members posting proudly how they travelled 500 miles to another dealer to save a few dollars. How their generators though not quite as good cost half as much as their neighbors.
Forest River is a mid range supplier. Undoutedbly not the elite, but not the dregs either.
Just like we have to do in our personal lives, there has to be a balance struck between quality and cost. All it takes is money, but I have a feeling the complaining would then be about the color of the fabric or the frill on the canopy.
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #49

The way to solve it is contacting the dealer, and forest river with constructive suggestions for improving the product. Again we all bought Forest River for one of two reasons, price or product . If you are willing to accept more of the cost, I am sure the company could make the changes. Bitching is only that, bitching, not problem solving.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:01 AM   #50

I have sent my list to the dealer and to forest river, and talked to them both in person, drove to the plant and talked to Nate in person, and have continuously emailed them both on the different quality problems with my particular build, I have all the emails saved and printed, a good one is my coach left the plant with the wrong door, now that might not be a big deal to most, but to me that is a big brake down in quality control,you mean someone can afford to take a extra 5 minutes to make sure the right door is on the right coach, lets see, with shipping re-painting and putting on the new decals, the new door plus removing and installing the new door, it would cost to much to do it right the first time,,, I guess I only spent a few thousand dollars so I can no expect to much, you get what you pay for I guess, sure glad I didn't do that with my job for 35 years, I would not have had such a good retirement,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Wilson View Post
The way to solve it is contacting the dealer, and forest river with constructive suggestions for improving the product. Again we all bought Forest River for one of two reasons, price or product . If you are willing to accept more of the cost, I am sure the company could make the changes. Bitching is only that, bitching, not problem solving.

hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, quality