Old 07-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #1
Forester 2401W slide

I stored something alongside my retracted slide while traveling. It shifted while traveling and got stuck when I extended the slide pulling out the moulding that is around the inside. It seems, to me, that this moulding only is screwed into the frame of the sides and top also acts as a stop when putting the slide out. I think this is a weak point since the moulding on the top is also coming undone but the damage I did is at the bottom.

I plan on removing the trim and replacing the stripped out screws with a larger diameter but I think something else needs to be done so I am planning to add some aluminum angle to the bottom and the top corners. Has anyone had a similar problem? I thought I saw a thread about this but can not find it now.

I also noticed that the slide fits closers to the body at the top when retracted and think part of the problem could be that the slide was not aligned correctly at the factory. I have a 2017 motor home that I picked up April 28th.

Any ideas about a permanent solution are appreciated.

Bob Fraser
2017 Forester 2401W

sailski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:00 AM   #2
I have had a similar problem when something was riding behind the trim during close. I started thinking of ways to attach better but decided that I would rather break off the loosely attached molding than any other part of the slide or components. That's the only warning you get that something is jammed.

It could be attached much better but in my case it saved me from getting the slide mechanisms out of whack.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2016 Sunseeker W MBS
kysunseekermbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
I've had the moulding on both our slide outs fall off. The first time my service center stapled them back on (upside down!). The next time I asked for new pieces and I installed them myself, with Robertson head screws (Canada only) and covers that fit into the square screw heads. The side mouldings were loose, so I did the same with them. Matching the brown was easy and they look good and are secure (now). Fit and finish for $100k machine is sadly lacking. None the less, I really enjoy the rig. It works well for us on size and functionality.
Eric Jackson
Ottawa Ontario Canada
2015 Solera 24R
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:39 PM   #4
Robertson head screws are popular in the U.S. as well.
2014 Solera 24R
USN Retired
Mikegjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:51 PM   #5
On mine the molding behind the driver seat came loose on the bottom when the dealer looked at it he said it was to close to the floor when the slide shifts going out and in he cut the mounding about a 1/2 inch shorter and haven't had a problem again.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Petersb is online now   Reply With Quote

forester, slide