Old 05-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Keithe Send a message via MSN to Keithe Send a message via Yahoo to Keithe
Forester MBS 2401S weight concerns

This weekend I had a chance to weigh my RV with it all packed ready for camping and with only 1/3 of a tank of fresh water. I found the front weighed in at 3950 lbs and the back at 7250 lbs, both under the gross axle weight permitted but 170 lbs over the max gross vehicle weight. How concerned should I be with this overage? I did have a bike rack and two bicycles on the back but except for leaving these at home, it would be hard to pair the weight down much.

One of the reasons for choosing the "S" model over the others was the larger allowance for cargo. How are other staying under the recommended GVW?

Old 05-08-2016, 09:35 AM   #2

Yea, that's my concern also although I haven't yet purchased. Soon I'll be making a long, expensive trip to actually get a look at the models of interest (S and W) and will most likely purchase soon thereafter. Plan now is that I'd be living in the motorhome probably 3-4 months at a time and not particularly interested in staying at MH parks often.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:19 AM   #3

Keithe, reevaluate what you're carrying. I live in the 24s full time, have four agm batteries and a solar system. When I was first weighed by Escapees SmartWeigh, I was overweight by about 200#. Reevaluated everything and got it down to where I'm 150# under max carrying capacity. Be safe! It's a wonderfully versatile motorhome, but there are cubbies and compartments for far more than it can carry.
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:42 PM   #4

We are having the same problem with the 2401R. At last weighing, we were within 70 pounds of limit and that was with one night's worth of food and clothing, 1/3 tank of water (water off at the campground), full propane and 1/2 tank of fuel. We will have to unload some items to make weight available for food and clothing and full fuel allowance.

We will have to carry no water and fill up on arrival. This only means use rest stop bathrooms instead of our own while traveling - no major sacrifice. Other items we can remove are an electric space heater (we can use the house furnace but may need to buy more propane if we do), more wood leveling blocks (some we removed already, keep the plastic blocks on board), and a few other nice-to-have items but hanging on to all the must-haves.

I would not run over the GVWR - it's not safe (brake stopping capacity, for example), could cause some structural or suspension items to fail, and could cause warranty problems.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:17 AM   #5

On our first trip in the W, we pretty much took what we thought we needed, including a full tank of that pure Wisconsin water. When we weighed it with full tanks of propane and fuel, two passengers and the dog, we were about 350 lbs over.

- 20 lbs = took too many tools and we loaded a 2 week supply of canned dog food (42 cans, special diet).
- 200 lbs = We will cut the water to 1/4 tank (having a fully functional bathroom at all times is part of what's cool about the experience).
- 110 lbs = Sadly, the dog is no longer with us (victim of lymphoma).
- 40 lbs = Some other odds and ends have been jettisoned.

Hopefully all this will get us close.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 05-10-2016, 01:33 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Keithe Send a message via MSN to Keithe Send a message via Yahoo to Keithe
Forester MBS 2401S weight concerns

Sorry to hear about the dog... I don't have a dog but I could leave my wife at home but she says that's not an option.

I'm going to look at what I'm taking but I'm not sure what I can remove. I thought we had it down to the essentials but I must have more than I need. My fuel and propane tanks were full when weighing but our fresh water tank was only a third full and our grey and black tanks were empty. I did have a couple dozen bottles of drinking water in the back storage compartment that I could cut back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #7

Keithe, when weighed, my propane and fuel tanks were full and fresh water had about 1/4. As you use the rig, take careful note of what you DON'T use (that's the stuff that's easy to pare down). Tools, clothes, dishware, etc. Switch to electronic books, recorded movies and music. You'll get there!
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:33 PM   #8

If it were up to my husband he would leave me and adopt a dog. ha!

I am sorry about your dog.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #9

This forum has been unbelievably valuable to me as a newbie motorhome owner. I too am concerned about the available CCC weight limit of my 2401R. We were never informed of this restriction during any of our RV sales pitches over the last two years of RV shopping. We might not of purchased the MBS model due to the lower CCC as compared to the Ford and Chevy chassis. I guess we bought fuel economy and not weight capacity.

We pick up our new unit in two days (we bought a leftover new 2015 in March of this year). Thanks to the issues brought up on this forum I feel well prepared to handle all of the systems of this house on wheels. I'm so glad I am very handy around the house and a former steel mill maintenance electrician. My wife and I are hoping for a great RV experience. We've always loved tent camping.

2015 Forester 2401R MBS
Forest River Forums
Old 05-10-2016, 02:03 PM   #10

I would take my MBS over domestic engine any day. Less capacity and all. Gas mileage can't be beat.

Tags
forester, weight