Old 07-14-2016, 10:05 AM   #101

Update on my 2015 Solera. At gross weight plus a 1400 pound trailer. Florida to northern NY through the mountains of NC, 1800 miles, 14.03 mpg. I'm happy with that!

Old 07-14-2016, 10:16 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
What gauge is that, please?
It is probably time for you to read the MBSprinter manual that you received with your new motor home. If they didn't give you one, it is available for download on the internet, do a search for - model year Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500 operators manual

Not only will you learn a whole lot about various aspects of your Mercedes Benz, like fuel tank size, approximately when the low fuel light will come on, the fact that there are three different sizes of DEF tanks that are installed on them, size is dependent on what the Motor Home manufacturer ordered. What to do if you run the fuel tank dry, what happens when the DEF tank gets low or god forbid runs dry, when to have oil changed, how to check for that, etc.

To check for the level of your DEF tank push on the "M" button on the left side of the instrument cluster, this will allow you to cycle through all kinds of information, including the level of your DEF tank.

Sherman

Old 07-14-2016, 10:18 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philrisl View Post
Update on my 2015 Solera. At gross weight plus a 1400 pound trailer. Florida to northern NY through the mountains of NC, 1800 miles, 14.03 mpg. I'm happy with that!
NICE, how many miles on your 2015 Solera now and has the mileage been steadily increasing?

Sherman
Old 07-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
NICE, how many miles on your 2015 Solera now and has the mileage been steadily increasing?

Sherman
We just bought it used with 8000 miles on it. This is the start of our first trip and we will be covering 10000 mile in the next two months. We have put 2000 miles on it so far. Love it. Our e450 only got 7.5 mpg
Old 07-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos1060 View Post
Perhaps a new thread is in order, but I've got almost 4,000 miles on my W so far and the DEF light hasn't even come on. The gauge shows that I'm about 1/2 full. Curious if that's the same for others because it contradicts the previous post above about it lasting only 2,000 miles?
Sure sounds like a good idea, since you asked the question, why not start the thread.

I did find out via internet searching that Mercedes Benz equips the Sprinter chassis with three different sized DEF tanks, This is dependent on what the Motor home Manufacturer, Cube van builder, etc orders on the cab and chassis. They offer 3.2, 4.9, and 5.8 gallon capacity DEF tanks. How do we find out which one, that's a good question.

I just looked at my MBS chassis and I would guess that I have the 4.9 gallon tank because it looks approximately the same size as a 5 gallon fuel jug. I am currently down 1/10th according to the DEF gauge. When will I fill it next? Probably when I stop along I-69 in northern Indiana in early October. Between now and then we have only have about 1100 miles worth of travels planned.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:45 PM   #106

Quote:
I did find out via internet searching that Mercedes Benz equips the Sprinter chassis with three different sized DEF tanks, This is dependent on what the Motor home Manufacturer, Cube van builder, etc orders on the cab and chassis. They offer 3.2, 4.9, and 5.8 gallon capacity DEF tanks. How do we find out which one, that's a good question.
I kinda found the same info online. BUT, when my DEF light finally came on, a standard 2.5 gallon DEF box was too much. It overflowed (which is not a good idea). Now I just add a gallon when the light comes on - every 3000 miles or so...

Dave
Old 07-15-2016, 08:02 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
I kinda found the same info online. BUT, when my DEF light finally came on, a standard 2.5 gallon DEF box was too much. It overflowed (which is not a good idea). Now I just add a gallon when the light comes on - every 3000 miles or so...

Dave
When you come to mention it, I recall about the same thing happening only time I tried to fill the DEF tank.

Out of curiosity, I just went out and had a look see at the tank, its filler neck, and for a breather hose so that there was a way to stop the tank from becoming pressurized and thus spitting back at you while filling.

There appears to be a return breather line coming up to the fill spout, along with a breather intake down by the tank, BUT, when I attempted to see if the breather by the tank actually worked by blowing into the tank, the tank pressurized.

I know it sounds like a stupid thing to do, but, DEF is really nothing more than cow piss, and survivalists will tell you that although tastes funny and can smell pretty bad, one can actually drink their own urine in order to survive.

I then used a finger to see if there was an opening in the filler neck that would allow what appears to be a pressure relief hose that runs from the tank to the filler neck and couldn't find one. I did notice an o-ring on a 45
down there but I have absolutely no idea what it is for.

The way it appears to be designed, if you should use a DEF pump nozzle to fill the tank or even a funnel to stop spillage while filling from a jug, you would create a back pressure and could actually overflow the filler line without filling the tank due to pressure build up.

Maybe there is a fellow RV'er who is knowledgeable on how the DEF tank and its pressure relief system works, or if there even is a pressure relief system.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:31 AM   #108

Don't know about pressure relief, but filling without overflow is easy. The Blue DEF containers have a fill tube and a suction type valve on the tube connection. While filling listen for DEF backing up toward the filler neck and put a finger iver the fill tube calve to stop/reduce flow. Have some clean water handy to rinse just in case of a spill. Piece of cake. I carry any remaining fluid in toad.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:02 PM   #109

Quote:
It is probably time for you to read the MBSprinter manual that you received with your new motor home. If they didn't give you one, it is available for download on the internet, do a search for - model year Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500 operators manual

Not only will you learn a whole lot about various aspects of your Mercedes Benz, like fuel tank size, approximately when the low fuel light will come on, the fact that there are three different sizes of DEF tanks that are installed on them, size is dependent on what the Motor Home manufacturer ordered. What to do if you run the fuel tank dry, what happens when the DEF tank gets low or god forbid runs dry, when to have oil changed, how to check for that, etc.

To check for the level of your DEF tank push on the "M" button on the left side of the instrument cluster, this will allow you to cycle through all kinds of information, including the level of your DEF tank.

Sherman
Oh I have read all the manuals. I was just asking where that gauge is since unit is in storage. I will recheck when at it again, but I'm pretty sure there is no DEF gauge in there. DEF Check indicator, yes.

I previously posted all the onboard computer screens on this forum and no one could decipher them.
MBS Onboard Computer Screens

Here is what the online owner's manual says under the heading "DEF gage" [as spelled]:

Vehicles without steering wheel but- tons
If the DEF supply is less than 1.5 US gal (5.5 l), the dEF Chk message appears in the display. In addition, the yellow DEF indicator lamp
lights up in the instrument cluster and a warning tone sounds.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:17 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Oh I have read all the manuals. I was just asking where that gauge is since unit is in storage. I will recheck when at it again, but I'm pretty sure there is no DEF gauge in there. DEF Check indicator, yes.

I previously posted all the onboard computer screens on this forum and no one could decipher them.
MBS Onboard Computer Screens

Here is what the online owner's manual says under the heading "DEF gage" [as spelled]:

Vehicles without steering wheel but- tons
If the DEF supply is less than 1.5 US gal (5.5 l), the dEF Chk message appears in the display. In addition, the yellow DEF indicator lamp
lights up in the instrument cluster and a warning tone sounds.
What year is your Sprinter? I see your Forester is a 2016 but is it by chance built on a 2015 chassis rather than a 2016 chassis?

I read your old post and saw the information you posted

how are you accessing these "maintenance" codes? from the "M" button on the instrument cluster with the ignition switch in position 2 or with an OBD scanner? Please provide instructions as to how so I can attempt to recreate and access those maintenance codes

My MBS is a 2016

The only information that I seem to be able to access via the digital readout using the 'M" button with the ignition key in the "2" position is the DEF level and that the oil level is "OK". On my MBS the DEF level is also accessible while driving by pressing on the "M" button until the DEF level Screen appears.

According to the user manual we are supposed to access all kinds of information. Since I haven't been able to access that information, either its access has been disabled via the manufacturer or I don't have a clue what I am doing

Tags
forester