Old 07-17-2016, 10:28 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
What year is your Sprinter? I see your Forester is a 2016 but is it by chance built on a 2015 chassis rather than a 2016 chassis?

I read your old post and saw the information you posted

how are you accessing these "maintenance" codes? from the "M" button on the instrument cluster with the ignition switch in position 2 or with an OBD scanner? Please provide instructions as to how so I can attempt to recreate and access those maintenance codes

My MBS is a 2016

The only information that I seem to be able to access via the digital readout using the 'M" button with the ignition key in the "2" position is the DEF level and that the oil level is "OK". On my MBS the DEF level is also accessible while driving by pressing on the "M" button until the DEF level Screen appears.

According to the user manual we are supposed to access all kinds of information. Since I haven't been able to access that information, either its access has been disabled via the manufacturer or I don't have a clue what I am doing
The method of access is shown in the videos I posted. The second video is the easiest to follow, although it has background music. In a nutshell, you press the 0 button until you hear a beep, then press the M button repeatedly to scroll through the onboard computer display windows.

For some people, pressing the M button alone seems to get to other readings such as possibly the DEF gauge, but on our Sprinter it simply scrolls through the odometer display options, time setting and so forth.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVE2MH View Post
We are on the longest road trip in our 2401R, and I being the co pilot am calculating our fuel consumption.
As of this writing, we have traveled 2,121 miles and have consumed 178 gals. of fuel. This is only 11.9 miles per gallon. We started out this trip with 3,520 miles on the odometer.
Wondering how this compares to others.
Thanks!
Mary Ann
Mary Ann,
We have the same unit as yours, purchased it Sept. 2015. We have 3600 miles on it and consistently get the same mpg as you. I usually drive at 65 to 70 mph on the freeways.
Bill Bean

Old 07-21-2016, 06:42 PM   #113

We are 2700 miles into a trip with our Solera 24R, loaded to max, towing an open trailer with a full dress Harley. We use the cruise control at 62 to 65 mph. The overall average has been 14.1 mpg. Very happy with it. Lots of mountains as well as some wind.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:31 AM   #114

Just completed 3400 mile trip from Northern California through Yellowstone, and into Alberta and B.C. Returned home via Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland. My 2016 2401W averaged 15.00 mpg overall. Drove mostly at 60+ mph (except driving in the Seattle/Tacoma area seemed like one huge parking lot).

Longest range driven was 309 miles but 350 miles would have been easily doable. Was carrying extra 5 gal. just in case. The only time I worried about running out of fuel was when the gas pump icon lit up for a while followed by an accompanying blinking "0" above the linear LCD fuel gauge. I was driving up a steep grade in the Canadian Rockies so my true fuel reserve was a mystery at that point i.e. do I really have 6 gal. in reserve on a steep slope?

Anyway, I'm very happy with 15 mpg. Would probably do better without carrying the extra 5 gal. fuel can and Craftsman air compressor but peace of mind is worth it.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:43 PM   #115

Forester MBS Fuel Consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
It is probably time for you to read the MBSprinter manual that you received with your new motor home. If they didn't give you one, it is available for download on the internet, do a search for - model year Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500 operators manual

Not only will you learn a whole lot about various aspects of your Mercedes Benz, like fuel tank size, approximately when the low fuel light will come on, the fact that there are three different sizes of DEF tanks that are installed on them, size is dependent on what the Motor Home manufacturer ordered. What to do if you run the fuel tank dry, what happens when the DEF tank gets low or god forbid runs dry, when to have oil changed, how to check for that, etc.

To check for the level of your DEF tank push on the "M" button on the left side of the instrument cluster, this will allow you to cycle through all kinds of information, including the level of your DEF tank.

Sherman

Just to follow up on this topic of the DEF gauge, I reviewed the manual again and also ran the gauges through their cycles. I believe the gauge you are referring to is actually the oil level gauge. That's the only gauge I get when cycling through the M (menu) options. This is described on pp. 254-55 of our manual. The oil can symbol is displayed. A blank level indicator is displayed for a moment, followed by OK if the level is good, or else 1.0 qts, 1.5 qts, 2.0 qts, or HI. The numbers indicate the amount of engine oil to be added, if any. I still do not see any DEF gauge. There is only a DEF indicator that is described on p. 186 as far as the DEF Chk message, the yellow DEF indicator lamp, and the Starts Remaining messages.

Above is for a 2016 Forester 2015R MBS built on a 2015 Sprinter chassis, owners manual Edition 12-14MB.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 07-25-2016, 11:37 AM   #116

You buy em books, You send em to school, and they eat the pages

[QUOTE=MNtraveler;1269434 I believe the gauge you are referring to is actually the oil level gauge. That's the only gauge I get when cycling through the M (menu) options. This is described on pp. 254-55 of our manual. The oil can symbol is displayed.
Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R[/QUOTE]

key in position 2 without starting engine will give you the miles driven. your choice of mph, outside temperature, unless in cruise control then speed setting.
Push "M" once and you go into "TOOL'mode and a wrench will show up.
Push "M' a second time and you will get oil level.WAIT it takes time for the sensor to read the level, then you will get an "OK"
Push "M" a third time and you will get the "DEF" level
Push 'M" a fourth time and you can set the "hours" on the dash clock
Push "M" a fifth time and you can set the "minutes" on the dash clock
Do nothing for a few seconds and you return to the "Normal" dash screen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	key in position 2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	115235   Click image for larger version

Name:	tool mode.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	115236   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil level.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	115237   Click image for larger version

Name:	DEF level.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	115238  
Old 07-25-2016, 07:03 PM   #117

[
Push "M" a third time and you will get the "DEF" level
screen[/QUOTE]
Does not work that way on my 2013 chassis.
Get "Tool"
Oil Qty
clock

Must be some year/tank size issue. 2013 has 3.1 gal DEF tank.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:52 PM   #118

Links to Mercedes Benz Sprinter Manuals

Just looked at the 2013 MBS manual, Unfortunately, you do not have a DEF guage, You have an IDIOT LIGHT instead.

From page 178 of the 2013 MBS Sprinter manual

DEF gauge
Vehicles without steering wheel
buttons
If the supply of DEF is less than 1.5 US gal
(5.5 l), theċindicator lamp lights up and
theŻdEF Chk display message appears.
If the supply of DEF falls below the reserve
range of 0.8 US gal (3.0 l), theċindicator
lamp lights up and theŻStArtS RExx
display message appears. In the display, xx
corresponds to the number of possible
remaining engine starts (16 to 0).
Further information on DEF consumption can
be found in the "Service products and filling
capacity" section (Y page 320).

Link to manual.

http://www.sprinter-rv.com/wp-conten...ors_Manual.pdf

Link to Mercedes Benz manuals for years available

Sprinter Owner’s Manuals
Old 07-26-2016, 04:11 PM   #119

I'm thinking this is new on the 2016 chassis as my 2015 chassis does not seem to have the DEF gauge.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:08 AM   #120

I new about the idiot light, having read the manual several times. Was hoping there was something I missed. I fill the tank prior to each trip as a standard practice.

Tags
forester