Old 07-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
I new about the idiot light, having read the manual several times. Was hoping there was something I missed. I fill the tank prior to each trip as a standard practice.
I didn't know about the idiot light letting you know when you were getting low because I have DEF level gauge. I pretty much bet that if the on board computer was flashed and the latest software installed, you would have a EDF gauge also. You could always ask a MBS service center.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:22 AM   #122

X2 Mikegjax. How easy is that. With 10,000 miles since last Sep it makes it a no brainier and carry a small 2.5 gal of it but Wal Mart carries it also.

2016 Solera 24R
Tow 6X12 Enclosed
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:53 PM   #123

Looking at the 2016 owners manual the DEF tank is 4.7 gal. So I am guessing it uses a different qty system. Hence the difference in DEF level indications (light, gauge or maybe both).
Old 07-27-2016, 01:15 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Looking at the 2016 owners manual the DEF tank is 4.7 gal. So I am guessing it uses a different qty system. Hence the difference in DEF level indications (light, gauge or maybe both).
I did some research on the DEF tank size a while ago and found that Mercedes Benze installs three different sizes of DEF tanks. The size is dependent on what the purchaser ordered. In our case what Forest River decided to specify then they made their orders.

if I can remember correctly,( I am getting old so my brain is full of information and i have to empty it once in a while so I can add new information. ) the sizes offered were 3.8 gal, 4.7 gal, and 5.8 gal. I looked at mine and it appeared to be about the same size as a rectangular 5 gallon fuel can so i just figured I had the 4.7 gallon DEF tank
Old 08-06-2016, 12:14 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeboone View Post
I'm thinking this is new on the 2016 chassis as my 2015 chassis does not seem to have the DEF gauge.

Our 2015 Sprinter chassis does not have the DEF gauge either. It's not in the "M" button cycle.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 08-10-2016, 11:03 PM   #126

Not on mine either

I glad that you wrote that because I have tried in vain to find a guage. I installed the UltraGuage Bue (Bluetooth) and it doesn't have one either. It looks like my DEF tank is about 5 gallon.
Aspenmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:31 AM   #127

I plan to refill it when it tells me to. I carry 1 gallon so I don't get stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 08-11-2016, 07:17 AM   #128
2016 Solera 24W

Warning light gives plenty of time

I do not carry any spare DEF. The Low DEF light comes on when there is 1.5 gallons left in the tank. That gives plenty of time to find some before it runs dry and goes into countdown mode.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #129

At about 6,500 mi. on the ODO, the idiot light came on for more DEF. This seemed awfully early. However I realized we don't know how much was in it out of the factory (though should be full, theoretically), and we never added any before. I added the one gallon I carry plus a 2.5 gal. jug I was able to buy at the service station. It showed no signs of being full so it likely needs more.

Filling the DEF was a bloody mess. Even with the 1-gal. container, hitting the tiny inlet was very hard. It was impossible while trying to juggle the 2.5 gal. jug. (No, it did not have any filling tub with it!) I pirated a funnel from the kitchen and it's now officially mine. Even so I had to transfer at least half of the 2.5 gal. jug into the 1 gal. jug before attempting to load using the funnel. It's the most ridiculous loading system ever.

Here's a good video (on the linked page) about dispensing DEF from a pump and using the magnetic mis-filling prevention device:

http://www.yara.us/nox-reduction/def...storage-guide/

See also this helpful PDF:

http://www.opwglobal.com/docs/librar...e.pdf?sfvrsn=6

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Nights camped 2016: 29; RV to date: 32
Old 09-26-2016, 05:05 PM   #130

We just finished a round trip from Minneapolis to Charlottesville, VA following a more southerly route (blowing past St. Louis) and returning on a more northerly route (passing Columbus, Indy and Joliet). Over 2,600 miles, we averaged 13.5 mpg. The relevant characteristics of the trip were many flat plains, extremely hot weather (heavy cab A/C usage), constant strong winds, and mountain climbing across West Virginia, western Virginia, and northwestern Maryland. On 7 of our 13 fills, we averaged 14-14.4 mpg but I can't discern any pattern why, and that even included the most mountainous areas.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Nights camped 2016: 29; RV to date: 32

Tags
forester