Old 04-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #51

Forester MBS Fuel Consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
The low fuel light on mine seems to come on with approx. 6 gallons remaining. I don't push it though. I might drive another 30 miles to find fuel. Don't won't to run out with the diesel. Driving across Texas from East to West I carry a five gallon container in the toad just in case. Normal average towing 11.8/12.8; sometimes higher depending on terrain.

The MBS has a 26.4 gallon fuel tank, OF WHICH 5 gallons is considered "reserve fuel." in other words, the 5 gallons is part of the stated capacity, not an additional 5 gallons of capacity, but it won't show on the fuel gauge.

That means if we run the tank down to nearly Empty, we would still only be adding 20-21 gallons. Also that means 20 gals. x typical fuel mileage can be used to estimate tank and refill range.

Now, please forget that I told you about the reserve capacity because if you start counting on it, it will no longer be reserve capacity!

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R

Old 04-06-2016, 09:05 PM   #52

Forester MBS Fuel Consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiataHoarder View Post
The first time our low fuel warning light came on was during our first long trip at a most inconvenient time and place. Pasadena during rush hour. Getting off the freeway, I sweated bullets while Sandy used her smart phone to call close by gas stations. Free range peacocks wandered about everywhere but diesel wasn't easy to find. When we found some and filled up, we still had 6 gallons in the tank. Reassuring and handy operating parameter which I wish I'd had ahead of time. (2015 Solera 24s)

See preceding reply on reserve capacity. Gas Buddy is a great app for locating nearby stations and also comparing prices. After selecting a station, it will give you step by step directions using your smart phone's GPS and map system. (Touch the map then the station's icon on the map. When prompted select Open in Maps or even better Open in Google Maps which it cleverly offers you if you have it installed - a way better map app than Apple's own app.)

You may still have to call if it's after hours, Sunday or holiday. Also I realize you may not have an Apple product, if not - sorry for the Apple-centric response.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R

Old 04-07-2016, 02:48 AM   #53

Mercedes isn't only company that does that. My Toyota Tundra 4x4 is on empty , only will take 20 or 21 gallons if I take a chance on running out. Turns out it has a 26.4 gallon tank. When it comes to my solera, wife makes me stop every 200 miles or so whether we need gas or not.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:36 PM   #54

I have one of those stop every 200 miles passengers also. Makes planning somewhat easier. I filled up 14 miles after fuel gauge came on, which is supposed to mean 5 gal remaining, and after filling I really had approximately 6.1. I carry 5 extra anyway.

2016 Solera 24R
Tow 6X12 Enclosed
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:33 PM   #55

We picked up our 2401W about a week ago and drove it home from Medina, Ohio. It had been driven 313 miles from Elkhart to Medina. I filled up in Geneva, Ohio and it took 20 gallons for the 388 miles on the gage. 19.4 MPG. Not bad for a new engine! We plan on packing light and not taking water with us. We'll see how she does on the first real trip.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:33 PM   #56

We have been on the road for about 2 weeks in our brand new 2017 2400w (first trip). Weather has been all over the map, from 22 to high 80's, we have had snow, LOTS of rain, and wind from every direction. We have covered about 2700 miles so far, and we are probably running a bit heavy. With all that, our worst mpg/tank has been 12.7, and best 16.3... Speeds have been ranging between 55 and 65. Having a blast!!!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 04-22-2016, 06:51 AM   #57

Bob and Cynthia, my mileage was with a full tank of propane and the tank of diesel from the factory. We had no provisions with us on the drive home. I also have a 2017 model with the door in the back for the gas grill that came with it. It was really convenient on my first camping trip. I love this RV!
Old 04-22-2016, 09:02 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by captdanerie View Post
We picked up our 2401W about a week ago and drove it home from Medina, Ohio. It had been driven 313 miles from Elkhart to Medina. I filled up in Geneva, Ohio and it took 20 gallons for the 388 miles on the gage. 19.4 MPG. Not bad for a new engine! We plan on packing light and not taking water with us. We'll see how she does on the first real trip.
Sorry to be the spoiler, but you really didn't get the 19.4 mpg. Just letting you know that up front, so you don't think somethings up when you start seeing a 14 to 16+ mpg range. Also, there are no break ins on engines, like the "old days", so you will get maximum efficiency right from the start. Just sayin'
Old 04-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #59

And that 14-16mpg is only on long flat highway runs - not going over 60-65, and not crawling up big mountains. Around town my ODB2 "Automatic" and "DashCommand" app log 9-10mpg.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:37 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
And that 14-16mpg is only on long flat highway runs - not going over 60-65, and not crawling up big mountains. Around town my ODB2 "Automatic" and "DashCommand" app log 9-10mpg.
Something is wrong if your getting that poor of mpg with your Sprinter. Whats quite interesting is that even climbing mountains, albeit interstate grades, my mpg rarely goes below 13.5 mpg in that tank full.

Tags
forester