Old 04-24-2016, 06:56 PM   #71
Try this; lower your avg speed to about 60mph. The fuel economy will increase to about 14mpg + not towing, more if you have a tail wind.

Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:33 AM   #72
I use an "Automatic" odb2 device

Originally Posted by bob5560g View Post
Dear NessleJJ,

I would like to get an ODB-II engine monitor so I can keep an eye on the engine temp while climbing/towing in hot weather. Can I ask what make and model you have? (Anyone else feel free to chime in.)

I'm a techno-weenie, so use the "Automatic". You need a smart-phone to use it, but it is has features that none of the other ODB2 devices have. It logs your trip data (GPS map, statictics), rates your driving habits (hard starts/stops, better/worse mileage, etc.), where your vehicle (is in case you lose it), and it will even call your 'loved ones' if you are in an accident. You then purchase something like the Dash Command app, and the Automatic allows the app to access vehicle data directly.

It's a bit pricey, but they run sales on it if you are not in a hurry.

nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:34 PM   #73
First solid fuel reading after a couple of short jaunts within 2 hours of home: 13.98 mpg.

(Earlier readings were just in and around town, traffic jams etc., what do you expect?)

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
2016 Forester 2401R
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #74
Has anyone compared the Trekker cab verse the sleeper cab for difference in drag?
Beachsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:30 AM   #75
Trekker MPG

We have put 1000 miles on a new Forester 2401S with the Trekker cap. Going north to Sault St Marie Ontario we had huge cross winds and have still averaged 15.1. We drive 60-63 MPG. Our next trip we'll be towing a Chevy Sonic. It has a Hellwig torsion bar and I added Sumo's. It really handles great. I have driven 600 miles with the Sprinter chassis with a conventional cab overhead, and I can feel a huge difference in wind and truck affect. My wife and I both feel it handles the winds much better with the aerodynamic cap. Since the engine is not broken in yet, it seems it may be helping the gas milage a bit as well, as we are happy with the initial milage.
We don't need the overhead sleeping space, and love the looks of the Trekker version both inside and out.[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0970.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	111177[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0978.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	577.6 KB
ID:	111176  
Joel and Teri
2017 Forester 2401S MBS - Trekker
2015 Chevy Sonic Hatchback
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar and Sumo Springs
Live in W Bloomfield, Michigan and Naples, Florida
tnjmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:54 AM   #76
Great info. Looks great with the Trekker Cap, as well!

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped
TOAD: 2014 Fiat 500 Abarth

(Sold the Vibe 6506)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:51 PM   #77
wind noise is horrible on my "sleeper" cab.

I have the 2401 R with the bed over the front seats. It is so noisy at 60mph that I can't hear what my passenger is saying, and the SiriusXm is pointless. I had suspected the the aerodynamics are quite bad. I too was wondering if the Trekker cab would be better than my 14.5 mpg. The area is unused on mine. I have removed the mattress, ladder and the TV (never use that one) mainly to reduce weight because I am at GVWR without much camping gear. I can't use the space because the surface is slippery without any effective way to restrain the load.

If it would be practical, I would like to remove the sleeper, but the cost could be high, I am sure.
Aspenmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:12 PM   #78
We have a 2017 2400W (2016 chassis), and have put about 7000 miles on it in the last 2.5 months. Although it is not as quiet as my car, it is nowhere near as annoying to drive as you describe... We can carry on normal conversations, and we listen to the radio all the time, both talk and music. I would think removing the bedding from the sleeper would increase interior noise, creating an "echo chamber" effect.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Rkloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:05 AM   #79
Forester MBS Fuel Consumption

We have a new Forester MBS with about 5000 miles on it with the front bed over the cab. We've been getting about 15.25 mpg traveling at 55 to 60 mph. we've found it to be pretty quiet in the cab while driving. The only time we've had a problem with noise in the cab is when we have high winds or very rough road.
2017 Forester MBS 2401S
Keithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #80

2014 Solera 24R
USN Retired
Mikegjax is online now   Reply With Quote