Old 06-22-2015, 07:18 PM   #1

Forester MBS towing harness connector

We recently purchased a 2015 Forester MBS. I have been trying to locate the harness that was installed from the trailer hitch receiver and would connect to a trailer brake controller. I emailed Forest River asking the question, but never received a response.

I found one Molex type connector under the driver's seat, but it was unmarked and the wiring does not look big enough to support the brake controller current.

Anybody know where this harness is?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #2

There is not a Trailer Brake Controller wiring harness installed in the MBS by either M-B or Forest River. If you want to use a brake controller you will need to install the wiring. I suggest you go to the Solera sub forum and do a "Search" in it for options as it is basically the same vehicle and that forum has a lot more info...

RedLdr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:33 PM   #3

Thanks for the replies

So why is there a 7 pin harness connector at the factory installed trailer hitch if the wiring for lighting and trailer braking is not installed?
Old 06-22-2015, 07:40 PM   #4

The lighting and other functions are wired. It is just the TBC wiring that is not installed. As to why the TBC wiring, or better yet an integrated trailer brake controller, isn't included I don't know...

See Here for a thread on what I'm considering using for a TBC when my MBS arrives...

RedLdr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:47 PM   #5

Thanks again for the information

Seems ridiculous they would install the 7 pin connector but not provide the wiring for the brake controller. I didn't expect a built in controller, I already have a Tekonsha controller I use with my Tundra that I planned to also use on the MBS. My Tundra was pre-wired for the controller, as it had the towing option from the factory, but I had to install the controller myself. I assumed the MBS would have been similar. Shame on me for not asking more detailed questions.

Hey Forest River, what gives? Also, why can't you build a "Platinum" version of the MBS motorhome, with HID lights, fog lights, TPMS, etc. that are clearly available from MB? I would have gladly ponied up for a better equipped chassis. I chose the MBS for it's size, not to save a few $$$.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #6

Be careful installing the brake controller.
You may want a Mercedes tech wire it up since the Can-Bus system should not be tampered with. The brake switch is connected to the can bus system and cannot be spliced into.
You have to splice into the analog side of the electrical system or you can blow the ESC computer. i know this because a friend of mine did just that cost him $1800
in stupid tax.
These things can be tricky and Mercedes is not forgiving at all on their electronics.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #7

We went thru an extended Chinese Fire drill getting our Brake Buddy Stealth installed on our 2015 Solera. The bottom line is DO NOT TOUCH any Mercedes wiring. All connections MUST be on the Forest River wiring. The easiest is to connect behind the 7-pin connector and run new wires to the front. And if you are considering the possibility of a TOAD down the road, the Stealth will do both trailer and TOAD braking.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #8

How about,start at the connector at the hitch and follow the wires. You can darn well bet thay if the wires exist, the end is coiled up and wire tied somewhere just waiting for someone to install a controler. And no, don't mess w MB factory brake wiring, your controler should be independent of the vehicle, except where you pick up raw 12 v and the brake , turn signal and taillight feeds which may have hookup points in the fuse block as my Ford did.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:33 AM   #9

Found it!

As one reply indicated, the 7 pin connector located next to the hitch receiver is completely wired and connected to the RV wiring, with the exception of one pin - for the brake controller output. The wire for this pin is terminated under the driver's seat - a blue 12 gauge wire.

So other than finding a suitable means for obtaining the brake signal, I am good to go.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:11 PM   #10

mine was in the dash behind the cubby hole next to the radio. Pop out the coin tray and the wire was there easy access. Just plug and then drop your wire below the dash.
Easily done on mine 2015 Forester 3051S

Tags
forester, towing