Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2016, 05:21 PM   #1
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Four-point Leveling System on New Prism LE MBS

Asked the same question on Coachmen forum but did not get many answers.
I went to the RV show in Pomona this past weekend and saw a brand new Prism LE MBS with a four-point leveling system. The coach felt amazingly stable to walk on. Didn't ask the dealer who makes the leveling system. Does anyone know what system Coachmen uses? I was under the impression that the four-point leveling system would void the chassis warranty. I'm interested in an aftermarket leveling system.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:51 PM   #2

I would buy leveling system for my rv too, but I'm spending too much money right now.
May be next year.
The Official Bigfoot© Site - Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling Systems

raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:19 PM   #3

Watch the CCC

As you know, the cargo carrying capacity of these MBS motorhomes is very limited - on the order of 800-1000 pounds depending on configuration and options. It is real easy to go over the max gross weight of the vehicle.

If you aren't concerned about being overweight, then adding the four point stabilizer would be beneficial. I would like to have front stabilizers (I actually wish they were levelers, too) and guess that it would add 50-75 pounds to the empty weight. That additional weight could be mitigated by replacing the steel wheels with aluminum.

I assume they have not been offered by FR partly due to the cost, but also due to the payload penalty.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor View Post
I would buy leveling system for my rv too, but I'm spending too much money right now.
May be next year.
The Official Bigfoot© Site - Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling Systems

I see that Bigfoot carries one for MBS, 4pt system.
Bigfoot Leveler's Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500 System Comparisons

Wonder if this is what Prism uses, or if anyone has installed the system?
Old 10-20-2016, 08:57 PM   #5

KatanaPilot is right about extra weight.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:16 PM   #6
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Yeah I agree. The weight limit is a prohibitive factor.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeOnWheels View Post
Asked the same question on Coachmen forum but did not get many answers.
I went to the RV show in Pomona this past weekend and saw a brand new Prism LE MBS with a four-point leveling system. The coach felt amazingly stable to walk on. Didn't ask the dealer who makes the leveling system. Does anyone know what system Coachmen uses? I was under the impression that the four-point leveling system would void the chassis warranty. I'm interested in an aftermarket leveling system.
First your frame is out of warranty now. They can always beef the frame up, I know lippert had to do it to mine. As for weight your talking less then 80 or 100 lbs extra weight, that will really not effect anything. I'm glad I got mine put on after market, but I made sure that lippert put it on, they did the welding on the frame they made, so they now own that frame...Now I would not own a unit M/H or 5th wheel without the level up system on it. I'm getting lazy...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
As for weight your talking less then 80 or 100 lbs extra weight, that will really not effect anything.
You might want to look at the CCC of an MBS-based motorhome. Coming off the line, it's usually around 1,000 lbs. 80-100 lbs is a major hit. Some of us have done things like removing interior doors and replacing glass shower doors with curtains just to get 75 or 100 lbs back.

Dave
Old 10-21-2016, 04:32 AM   #9

Well that's funny being that you can order the unit with the system, a lot of folks want to drive with there tank filled with fresh water, right there you can make the difference up. What is your max Cap. That your sticker says you can add?

Old 10-21-2016, 05:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Well that's funny being that you can order the unit with the system, a lot of folks want to drive with there tank filled with fresh water, right there you can make the difference up. What is your max Cap. That your sticker says you can add?
For MBS units the GVWR is 11,040. I weighed mine when I first took delivery - full fuel tank, 1/2 water tank, very limited additional cargo and myself - came out to 10,280, leaving 760 lbs. Since then I've added a heavier-duty anti sway bar, a receiver drop and tow bar, and various supplies. I've also removed an interior door and the glass shower door. I'd guess that I'm at or over GVWR every time I fill the fuel tank...haven't had the courage to weigh it again!

Dave
Old 10-21-2016, 06:09 AM   #11

Do your units come on a e450 or e550 frame? if it does I wouldn't even give it a thought.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:58 AM   #12

Automatic Leveling System - Sprinter Chassis

Simple, one touch operation for fully automatic leveling of the vehicle or trailer.

The Automatic Leveling System for the Sprinter chassis has a central pump assembly to save on space.

All-Up safety feature signals if one or more of the cylinders are not fully retracted before you drive off.

Manual adjustment feature that allows you to operate each cylinder individually.

Four powder coated cylinders made at our facility rated to lift 8,000 pounds per cylinder.

Weatherproof hydraulic power unit, each with an American made marine pump & motor wrapped in a steel housing, allows the unit to be mounted outside in the elements so it does not take up storage space.

100 square inch "Bigfoot" pads for secure ground contact during operation.

All necessary components and hardware for a complete installation!

Old 10-21-2016, 07:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Do your units come on a e450 or e550 frame? if it does I wouldn't even give it a thought.
You're (apparently) not paying attention. What we're talking about here are units built on the Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500 chassis. No Fords involved.

Dave
Old 10-21-2016, 07:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
You're (apparently) not paying attention. What we're talking about here are units built on the Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500 chassis. No Fords involved.

Dave
I guess you don't or didn't read the post above it's MADE for that chassis system. Your afraid of going 50 to 80 lbs over gross weight? What a joke that is. If your sprinter frame can't handle that you got bigger problems then this. I was asking what is it compared to F450 or F550 I guess you don't know.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:53 AM   #15

Quote:
I guess you don't or didn't read the post above it's MADE for that chassis system. Your afraid of going 50 to 80 lbs over gross weight? What a joke that is. If your sprinter frame can't handle that you got bigger problems then this. I was asking what is it compared to F450 or F550 I guess you don't know.
Well, actually, you asked:
Quote:
Do your units come on a e450 or e550 frame?
As far as I know, those are Ford chassis numbers, both of which have significantly higher GVWR's than the Sprinter 3500.

Also, if you keep up with the discussions which take place on this (MBS) forum and on it's predecessor (the Solera forum) you'd know that the unit's have handling issues related to how close they are to the GVWR. That's why owners talk about heavier duty anti-sway bars, Sumo spring suspension helpers, and upgraded shocks.

Finally, while you might be right that 100 lbs one way or the other doesn't make much difference, I think there's a good chance that it could make a significant difference if one of these units was involved in a serious accident - I have no doubt that the unit would be weighed and that the driver would face considerable blow back if it was over the limit.

Dave
Old 10-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #16

On my Solera I have added an aftermarket; HWH auto- leveling system, rear stabilizer, roof top solar and a DISH. I'm doing fine, I travel alot of miles and am averaging 15 mpg.
My only issue is that I wish CW installed HWH's fold-up jacks instead. I told them to install the best jacks for my Sprinter chassis and they chose the up/down model. The ground clearance is very low this way and you have to be extremely careful not to bottom out exiting parking lots. I had to have another rv repair business reweld them a little higher and firmer. I had brought the vehicle in for another wiring issue underneath and they discovered my jacks were hanging by a thread. They also questioned why CW didn't install the fold up HWH jacks for better clearance. I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue?
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:33 PM   #17
Senior

I added a Bigfoot leveling system to my Forester MBS 2401W. The label on the door jamb says there is 1,300+ lbs. of capacity as manufactured. Like mtnlvr I have bottomed out exiting parking lots. Not sure what to do about it since Bigfoot does not offer a folding system that I am aware of. There's no damage after 12,000 miles that I'm aware of.
I am very satisfied with my decision though. The jacks eliminate the rocking around that I've experienced with 2 by's under the tires whenever others are walking around in the motorhome. But, most of all it makes setting up when we get to a campground simple.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #18
Senior

I just reread your original post and had the same concern about voiding the warrantee. I had the same concern. Both Bigfoot and HWH have systems that attach to the Sprinter chassis without modification thereby avoiding that issue. The one thing I wish was different is that the rear jacks are rather close together and there is a little bit movement. I imagine that's a trade off of keeping the weight down. I feel the same way about the rear tires. I believe the handling would be better if the rear track was wider especially when passing or being passed be semi's o or hit by cross winds. But that is another matter.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:15 PM   #19

The CCC must be a record

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailski View Post
I added a Bigfoot leveling system to my Forester MBS 2401W. The label on the door jamb says there is 1,300+ lbs. of capacity as manufactured. Like mtnlvr I have bottomed out exiting parking lots. Not sure what to do about it since Bigfoot does not offer a folding system that I am aware of. There's no damage after 12,000 miles that I'm aware of.
I am very satisfied with my decision though. The jacks eliminate the rocking around that I've experienced with 2 by's under the tires whenever others are walking around in the motorhome. But, most of all it makes setting up when we get to a campground simple.
My understanding of the cargo capacity for the FR MBS motorhomes is on the order of 800-1000 pounds, with the W models being closer to the 800 number. My 2015 2401R is approximately 925 pounds.

I assume you are reading the yellow FR-supplied sticker and not the one from MB? If it's the FR sticker, you are very fortunate. I would like to know how yours is equipped to get such a high number.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:24 PM   #20
Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
My understanding of the cargo capacity for the FR MBS motorhomes is on the order of 800-1000 pounds, with the W models being closer to the 800 number. My 2015 2401R is approximately 925 pounds.

I assume you are reading the yellow FR-supplied sticker and not the one from MB? If it's the FR sticker, you are very fortunate. I would like to know how yours is equipped to get such a high number.
es it is the Forest River Sticker. I was surprised by it too. My 2401W options are few. Second Fan in Bedroom, Full Body paint, Side Cameras, small front cap with entertainment unit (no bed) I recently weighed it on a Cat certified scale and we were right at max with about a 1/2 full water tank and 3/4 full fuel tank. I think I can eliminate the 2 bottle jacks, big 4 way tire wrench and a couple of tools maybe take the bedroom divider out and change the glass shower door for a curtain.

Tags
leveling