Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #1

FR Warranty issues...need your knowledge

Team,

My 2016 W is headed back to the dealer again after major water damage in the overhead bunk. Spent a month there already trying to solve and who knows how long it will take this time...but its still taking on water. FR can't get it in until Nov/Dec at best and I don't know if I can count on the dealer to get it right this time. I've read in other posts over the course of the last year that we don't have any rights with regards to lemon laws, is this true? Things like that are what I'm considering. Figured I'd start here since you've all been so knowledgeable in the past.

Thanks in advance...trying to find the silver lining on this cloud.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:35 AM   #2

According to this website:
Illinois Lemon Laws - Lemon Law Attorneys | DMV.org
RVs are covered by the Illinois lemon law statute. Be that as it may, I'd suggest investing a little in a lawyer to (at least) figure out your options.

Good luck!

Dave
Old 06-29-2016, 08:37 AM   #3
Class C Representative

Forward me your name, number, and purchasing dealer.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:52 AM   #4

I can feel the frustration. But if you talk lawyer you are just creating more headache for yourself - I am sure that Forest River and their Representatives will step in and will do whatever can be done: but if you take legal steps it will stop!
Just my opinion and experience.....
Hans
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
I can feel the frustration. But if you talk lawyer you are just creating more headache for yourself - I am sure that Forest River and their Representatives will step in and will do whatever can be done: but if you take legal steps it will stop!
Just my opinion and experience.....
Hans
Also if you use the "L" word on this Forum it will Stop! Youroo!!
Old 06-29-2016, 09:17 AM   #6
Site Team

Before this goes any further with the legal talk/suggestions, please read this:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post665355

Joshua's #3 post is the best thing right now.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #7

Educated guess, lemon laws may only cover the chassis.
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:31 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Dealer has 3 full and seperate attempts to remedy before lemon law and even then mediation after that.

I think Josh is starting the ball rolling in the right direction.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #9
Class C Representative

I received marc's information to forward on to service. They are working on it as we speak.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:26 PM   #10

Good to hear FR is out in front on this. Please let us know how it gets handled. I'm sure that if FR is close to this one, you will see satisfaction.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
I received marc's information to forward on to service. They are working on it as we speak.
Thank you Josh!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:17 PM   #12

Ditto Josh... Why I love FR!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:49 PM   #13

Thank you Josh!
Old 06-30-2016, 09:15 AM   #14

UPDATE

UPDATE: Josh (and I suspect Brian Meeks) at FR really got the ball rolling for me this time around. Within hours I had a voicemail from a different dealership that is much closer to me and as I found out on a phone call much better equipped (pressure testing machine to find leaks) to hopefully put this issue to bed. I want to also highlight that it seems FR used their muscle to help me jump to the front of the repair line with this dealership! My father has a 5th wheel and he tried getting into this particular dealer no more than three days ago and they said "sorry, we're backed up right now and it will be a couple weeks". BUT, no waiting for me, the service director said he's got a great relationship with FR and wants to help us both out (note, I didn't buy from this dealer but my dad did!). Additionally, when I asked for his opinion on the repair time he laughed when I said the last dealership had it for a month. While he wouldn't commit to timing, I feel comfort that I likely won't be out of my coach for the better part of July while the kids are on summer break.

I'll identify the dealership and update the resolution after I get it back from service. But so far so good...don't know what I'd do without this forum!

Thanks to everyone who sent me direct messages with advice, I really appreciate it!
Old 06-30-2016, 02:38 PM   #15

Nice job Josh.

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #16

The first time I had to avail myself of Forest River's help in paying for an after warranty period repair my experience was good. BUT when I tried a second time and not for the same problem I was refused! Side wall cracked because the steel neck on my 5th wheel was too light and moving too much with the weight on it.
Grimshaw Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:39 PM   #17

This conversation sure gives me a bit of confidence that I bought into a decent company. Going to pickup my 2017 Forester 2401w the beginning of September and, as least for the near term, it will be my travelin' home. Means it will be put to the test immediately.
rshellhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:46 AM   #18

Final update, I hope

Picked up the coach on Saturday and it's finally fixed the right way. General RV in Huntley, IL has the tools (Sealtec machine) to pressurize the rig to find where the leaks are. They hooked it up, found that the first (and last!) dealership didn't reinstall the overhead bunk window correctly and it was the main culprit for the leak. Also, found that one of the "clearance lights" (orange/small on the outside over the cab) wasn't installed correctly. So they pulled it out and reinstalled correctly. With their being five of them up there I'd think everyone reading this would want to get up there and check them out so you can avoid a water situation like myself.

So my experience, and the opinion of others before me, has really shown what a difference the dealership can make...along with some "pull" from Brian at FR.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos1060 View Post
Picked up the coach on Saturday and it's finally fixed the right way. General RV in Huntley, IL has the tools (Sealtec machine) to pressurize the rig to find where the leaks are. They hooked it up, found that the first (and last!) dealership didn't reinstall the overhead bunk window correctly and it was the main culprit for the leak. Also, found that one of the "clearance lights" (orange/small on the outside over the cab) wasn't installed correctly. So they pulled it out and reinstalled correctly. With their being five of them up there I'd think everyone reading this would want to get up there and check them out so you can avoid a water situation like myself.

So my experience, and the opinion of others before me, has really shown what a difference the dealership can make...along with some "pull" from Brian at FR.
That is awesome to hear you got the help you deserved. Finally a RV dealer that has pride in what they do after the sale and has a drive to take care of the customer and look past the short term gain.
LoveLife7478 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, warranty