Old 04-12-2019, 02:54 PM   #1

Fresh water pump

Today I was prepping the RV for an upcoming trip. The RV had been sitting for a few months so I tested the water pump and it was fine so I proceeded to drain and sanitize the fresh water tank. I also drained the hot water tank and flushed it using city water.

When I tried the water pump after filling the hot water tank, the water pump would not operate. This has happened in the past after using city water causing the check valve in the pump to stick closed. I disconnected the inlet and exit hose to the pump and used an air compressor too blow the check valve open from the inlet side. Reconnect the hoses and all is well.

My light controller is immediately behind the pump outlet so catching any water being blown out of the pump is important.

Hope this info. helps someone that thinks their fresh water pump has failed, when it may be something as simple as a stuck check valve.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #2

I wish you had posted this two weeks ago. I had water pump issues after de-winterizing, too. Motor runs but water does not pump. Took the whole thing apart, didn't 't see anything wrong. Put it all back together - still no good. Ordered a new pump from amazing Amazon, swapped it in and all is well. I've got a non-working spare on the shelf now - to blow it out when I've got some time.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #3
Site Team

You said "used fresh water to flush water tank. You may have had sufficient pressure in the system to signal the water pump not to run. Open a faucet and try running until stops then try pump again.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAR View Post
I wish you had posted this two weeks ago. I had water pump issues after de-winterizing, too. Motor runs but water does not pump. Took the whole thing apart, didn't 't see anything wrong. Put it all back together - still no good. Ordered a new pump from amazing Amazon, swapped it in and all is well. I've got a non-working spare on the shelf now - to blow it out when I've got some time.
BTW, my pump would not run because of the back pressure to the check valve. Once the check valve was open, then the pump ran. You may have been experiencing a different problem.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You said "used fresh water to flush water tank. You may have had sufficient pressure in the system to signal the water pump not to run. Open a faucet and try running until stops then try pump again.
I had already opened a faucet to relieve the pressure before turning on the pump. Like I mentioned, this has happened on multiple occasions. A good idea none the less. Thanks

Tags
fresh water, pump, water, water pump