Old 02-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #1

Frozen fresh water tank

We are staying in our 2018 2400W and our fresh water tank is frozen, has anyone had any luck on getting heat to the tank or thawing it out. I used the winterazation valve to pump some water into the filter to make sure the pump works. We stayed in some cold weather before but not 7 degrees with this motor home. I know where I went wrong, I was using a portable ceramic heater to try and save propane, that kept the furnace from running enough to keep the tank from freezing. The tank heater pads are only for the holding tanks. Any thoughts from the Forest River MBS owners. Thanks

rotdoxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:12 AM   #2

WOW! Is the whole tank one big block of ice, or is it just frozen on the sides? Are you sure it is your tank that is frozen and not just the suction line from the tank to the pump?

I was camping in single-digit weather a couple weeks ago and left my full eight-gallon fresh water containers outside overnight by mistake. Those containers didn’t freeze solid, but they were a little slushy. The fresh water tank on my Windjammer didn’t freeze, but that tank does have a factory-installed heating pad on it and I was using the furnace for heat.

Bruce

Old 02-10-2019, 10:14 AM   #3
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Your FW tank is probably not frozen...but probably some plumbing is.

Turn your furnace on and run it...open the cabinet doors where your sinks are to allow heat inside to warm up the plumbing in there.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #4

Frozen fresh water tank

The water lines in the coach are not frozen, I checked that by running water thru the winterization line which used the pump, I was able to get water thru the faucets, I just canít get water from my fresh water tank. I donít know if itís frozen solid, I just know it wonít pump water from the tank. Thanks
rotdoxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #5

Could be just the line from your holding tank to the pump that is frozen.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:42 PM   #6

Most likely the water line from the tank to the pump. Do as John suggested in post 3.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:19 PM   #7

Why are there only tank heaters on the holding tanks and not on the fresh water tank? Seems silly to me.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Your FW tank is probably not frozen...but probably some plumbing is.

Turn your furnace on and run it...open the cabinet doors where your sinks are to allow heat inside to warm up the plumbing in there.
It's a good idea to open all doors at floor level as pipes often run behind other compartments. Also open the doors that have three hinges (the ones you can't open without a screwdriver) as they often conceal water related items.

Temps at my house are running as low as 6 degrees overnight and the heat is on in my TT. I check water flow every day to make sure the heat is high enough (set now at 55 Deg). After a really cold morning the water starts flowing with the sound of ice passing through a line (the suction line most likely) and it might stop flowing for a moment or two. Once the ice reaches the water pump filter which is in a better heated location, and a few minutes have passed, water flows again.

FWIW, I have the hot water heater turned on too. It not only prevents it from freezing due to one side being directly exposed to the elements, it also bleeds heat into the surrounding area inside. In my TT, the suction line runs through the Water Heater Compartment.

It appears I need to direct more furnace heat into my cover tank area. Another "To Do" on the list for spring.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #9
gtgranny

I had something frozen at or near my water pump once and I took a hair blow dryer and warmed everything up. Fine after that.
gtgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:04 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan50 View Post
Why are there only tank heaters on the holding tanks and not on the fresh water tank? Seems silly to me.
I have a heating pad on my fresh water tank.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 74; booked = 12
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water